Switchback indicators

Bike
ST1100AY
We can help you. Do you have the European kind where the front turn signals do not light up as running lights?
I have just ordered a pair of clear lenses from Ad and would like to do the Switchback setup also,

I have this type of indicator socket (only Turn, no Running)

What do I need to buy ? thx

IMG_0653.jpg

IMG_0652.jpg

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
You will need the 3-wire version of those sockets, which can accept dual-filament bulbs (like brake/taillight bulbs).

Also, very important, you need to know whether your turn-signal switch has the running-light contacts and wires.

These two wires, orange w/white stripe and light-blue w/white stripe, are what energize each side's running light.

Bike
ST1100AY
You will need the 3-wire version of those sockets, which would accept dual-filament bulbs (like brake/taillight bulbs).
Thanks for the steer, found it in the fiche and it nicely highlights the 3 pole

Screenshot 2020-04-13 at 13.31.35.png

Do you know what the type of plug is called (that matches the 3P ), I would to order them from an terminal supplier

Bike
ST1100AY
... would accept dual-filament bulbs (like brake/taillight bulbs).
Which LED bulbs would you recommend ? and also which solid state flasher unit works best wth these LED's ?

It would be nice for the white part of the LED to have a subtle strobe effect, sort of 100% to 80% and back to 100%, is this possible with the Switchback setup

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Which LED bulbs would you recommend ? and also which solid state flasher unit works best wth these LED's ?

It would be nice for the white part of the LED to have a subtle strobe effect, sort of 100% to 80% and back to 100%, is this possible with the Switchback setup
As you are going to have to add a wire for the running lights you could certainly add in a strobe effect to them (assuming that's legal in your area) You'd just need to wire in a strobe/modulator unit. As long as it's 12v and you like the pattern it will work.

The wire running to the running lights part can be fed from any switched power. When the bike is on, they will be too. There's no need to mess with the other turn signal wiring other than cutting off the old 2 wire end and splicing in the new 3 wire one. If you put in a modulator just hook it to the switched power and run a wire from it to each running light.

As for which socket, any 3 wire socket that will fit and lock in the clear lens is fine.

You can get LED's that are 2 colour (white / orange) but all the one's I've seen seem quite expensive compared to a single color bulb. There's no good reason for that except they likely sell fewer so they are a "specialty" aka they charge more, item. I can't say which ones are better than others. The main points are they fit the new bulb holders and that they don't stick in so far that they hit the front of the clear lens when installed.

Hi to ALL, new to the site but been reading and got some good info from you guys. You might have to bear with me while I sort out using the site.(.am I doing my first post or just replying ?) Mmmm anyway I think I made a mistake with my last attempt, sorry moderators. I have been in contact with the vendor in the UK for the switchbacks. Apparently on Ebay the sellers leave the ad there with the price hiked assuming that so no one will buy the item. Then he (the vendor) assures me that when the kits are ready in a few days the ad will revert back to normal price. He had issues getting stock from China due to the lock down. Right that's that done correctly this time I hope....

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Hi to ALL, new to the site but been reading and got some good info from you guys. You might have to bear with me while I sort out using the site.(.am I doing my first post or just replying ?) Mmmm anyway I think I made a mistake with my last attempt, sorry moderators. I have been in contact with the vendor in the UK for the switchbacks. Apparently on Ebay the sellers leave the ad there with the price hiked assuming that so no one will buy the item. Then he (the vendor) assures me that when the kits are ready in a few days the ad will revert back to normal price. He had issues getting stock from China due to the lock down. Right that's that done correctly this time I hope....
Hi Wildstar, and welcome to the forum. You did a post and not a reply :)

Good luck with your switchbacks and getting a lower price. That keep the price high when not in stock explains some of the stupid prices for things - like folks that want $1000 for a $100 tool etc.

Hi Wildstar, and welcome to the forum. You did a post and not a reply :)

Good luck with your switchbacks and getting a lower price. That keep the price high when not in stock explains some of the stupid prices for things - like folks that want $1000 for a $100 tool etc.
Hi Obo, I clicked on the reply button this time... ;-) I don't know enough about Ebay workings to understand why the vendors would feel the need to do that. Why not just put "out of stock". Anyway I'll update when I hear from the vendor.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Hi Obo, I clicked on the reply button this time... ;-) I don't know enough about Ebay workings to understand why the vendors would feel the need to do that. Why not just put "out of stock". Anyway I'll update when I hear from the vendor.
I don't fully understand it either, but I think keeping the listing active with the elevated price maintains some stock or part number, probably helps with tracking number of orders, ratings, etc.

Reactions: Obo
Top Bottom