Fork Spring recommendations for 1997 ST just bought 2 weeks ago, Apr 10, 2016

I had 5 - V 65s and 2 ST 1100s in the past, along with a 99 VFR, VF 700s, and a 2006 V Max. At 58, and with a recent job loss, I wanted a bike again and found a pretty clean 1997 NON ABS ST11 over by Allentown Pa. A 75 year old Gent who was stricken with cancer had the bike. 12,400 miles.
The forks dive on minor braking, and I wanted recommendations for aftermarket fork springs. Any help is appreciated ! Thanks Terry O, Pittsburgh Pa - Apr 10, 2016

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
According the RaceTech, the weight of the front springs are perfect for a Rider that weighs zero lbs !!! RaceTech says the springs are way too soft and for some reason only known by Honda, the light springs are compensated by way too much damping.

The solution is to install a RaceTech Gold Valve in the right fork and a Gold Valve Emulator in the left fork and install a heavier set of straight wound springs. RaceTech advises against using progressive springs. The result is a "plush, but firm" ride. I have done this on my non-ABS ST1100 and like the result.

If you can do the work yourself, you should be able to find the Gold Valve & Emulator kit for about $135. Sonic sells a well made set of straight wound springs for a bit less than the RaceTech springs, BTW.

Bike
92 ST1100
I had 5 - V 65s and 2 ST 1100s in the past, along with a 99 VFR, VF 700s, and a 2006 V Max. At 58, and with a recent job loss, I wanted a bike again and found a pretty clean 1997 NON ABS ST11 over by Allentown Pa. A 75 year old Gent who was stricken with cancer had the bike. 12,400 miles.
The forks dive on minor braking, and I wanted recommendations for aftermarket fork springs. Any help is appreciated ! Thanks Terry O, Pittsburgh Pa - Apr 10, 2016
Even with the above suggestions, your initial best bet is to remove forks, have them taken apart, cleaned and rebuilt using 10w fork oil of your choice;). The stock springs are not the problem, low level or cruddy fork oil is.

OP
OP
Thanks for the help guys. Much appreciated. When looking at a bike, with the layoff I could not afford something new, and was considering a 98-01 VFR, I had a 99, and really like this iteration before the VTEC and 35 pound weight gain in 2002. I even looked at a CBR 600 F4... but in the end, at 58, wanted something more comfortable, and went back to an ST11.. big enough to move around on, and comfortable enough to ride all day. Appreciate the help fellows. Terry O / Mars, Pa

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
At 12,400 that front fork oil can't be that bad but you might want to go with a somewhat longer spacer on the springs just to increase stiffness.
1/2 inch to 1 inch will make a lot of difference. It wouldn't require replacing any oil but could have good effect. Just see how you like it.
After that you can also go with thicker front oil.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Changing the spacer length won't change the stiffness of the OEM springs at all, since they aren't progressive springs. Only the static height will change with different length spacers. For the proper static height, with the bike off the center stand and you sitting on the bike, the forks should be compressed about 1/3 of the total travel.

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
Changing the spacer length won't change the stiffness of the OEM springs at all, since they aren't progressive springs. Only the static height will change with different length spacers. For the proper static height, with the bike off the center stand and you sitting on the bike, the forks should be compressed about 1/3 of the total travel.
Are you sure? I just looked at the stock springs I pulled from my bike 98 ABS and they look like progressive to me.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Nobody's mentioned the anti-dive unit. Easy enough to pull that apart and rule it out as the cause of excessive dive. BTDT

Mine had a piece of the rubber lip on the piston missing/chipped off. Found the piece in the bottom of the fork slider during a fork seals R&R. IMHO, should be a routine maintenance check, and particularly any time the forks are apart. FWIW YMMV

Edit: OEM springs are in fact wound progressive.

John
via iPhone 6

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
OK, I stand corrected. I thought my old springs were straight wound. But I just checked my Service Manual and it says "tightly wound end down". So yup, the OEM springs are progressively wound. That's even worse than I thought .........

BTW, here is a quote from the RaceTech FAQ's about Progressive vs. Straight wound springs. And BTW, RaceTech and Sonic doesn't sell progressive wound springs.

Question: I have heard of progressive springs and this concept makes sense to me. Why does Race Tech recommend Straight Rate Springs for forks?

Answer: When setting up the spring forces in a bike you want a setup that is progressive enough yet not too progressive. A setup that is not progressive enough will have a tendency to feel too harsh yet when a big hit is encountered bottoming occurs. A setup that is too progressive will either drop through the travel feeling mushy and then feel as though it hits a wall or can feel good until it hits that wall. On front forks there are two forces we consider to be "spring" forces. First is the coil (mechanical) spring and second is the force due to air pressure and oil level. Even if you run zero air pressure the oil level causes the pressure to increase as the forks are compressed. By its very nature this increase in pressure is very progressive. We have found that in combination with a straight wound spring we have a good level of progressiveness. If we want more progressiveness we simply raise the oil level.
Another subtle benefit of straight wound springs is that they are easy to understand. In order to make sense of progressively wound springs you really have to map out the force as you compress the spring. For example a spring marked 20/40 lb/in (excuse me for the Imperial units but this will work with metric units as well) may start out at 20 lbs/in in the first inch but where does the 40 refer to? It might be referring to the rate in the 4th inch or it could be referring to the rate in the 6th inch. This would cause a huge difference in ride. ( END of FAQ ).

As far as fork oil level is concerned, the above may explain why RaceTech recommends an oil level of 130mm instead of the OEM level of 190mm ( non-ABS).

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
The technician I spoke with, in regards to the RaceTech set-up, was also to drill a couple more holes in the damper to allow the oil to flow more freely in the dampening process. It isn't enough to just change out the springs and add the Gold valve and valve emulator, in his opinion.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
The purpose of the emulator is to take over the compression damping duty from the compression damping orifices low down on the damper rod in the left fork. That is why the Racetech technician would advise drilling extra holes in the rod, so that it has little or no compression damping effect. The emulator uses a sprung valve not too different to a typical cartridge damper, which has more linear damping characteristics than orifice damping.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
The technician I spoke with, in regards to the RaceTech set-up, was also to drill a couple more holes in the damper to allow the oil to flow more freely in the dampening process. It isn't enough to just change out the springs and add the Gold valve and valve emulator, in his opinion.
And :plus1: to what TerryS said above.

Well, if that's what the "Technician" told you, then he/she is a little confused. When installing the Emulator, it is required to add the extra holes in the damper. The idea is to eliminate the stock damper action on compression, totally. The Emulator sits on top of the damper and does the job the damper did originally in compression. And the weight of the fork oil determines the rebound damping.

The Emulator goes in the left fork (only). The Gold Valve replaces the OEM valve in the right fork (only).

Check out this RaceTech info : Emulator Installation

Last edited:

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Thanks for the link Jim.
I don't have the skill set to deal with suspension, though the article you site as well as the tech who spent an hour with me describing the reasons why he would do what he would do. I will continue my research and save coin to deal with the project when the time comes.
Cheers

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Thanks for the link Jim.
I don't have the skill set to deal with suspension, though the article you site as well as the tech who spent an hour with me describing the reasons why he would do what he would do. I will continue my research and save coin to deal with the project when the time comes.
Cheers
Well, seriously, it's not that hard of a job - even I was able to do the conversion easily and I bet you could too. Maybe a friend with a little mechanical ability can give you some assistance. Installing the new Gold Valve in the right fork is the trickiest part of the install, I think. Installing the Emulator in the left fork is fairly easy.

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
I changed my fork oil this winter to 10wt and noticed a significant reduction in front end dive when braking. It may be all you need to do.

OP
OP
April 14, thanks to all who replied. If you all can help me understand, because I am confused with conflicting information. Progressive vs non-progressive, valve vs no valve, spacer with stock springs vs new springs. Oil weight 20 or 15 or 10, but generally the idea I got is start at 10.

Can anyone recommend a manufacturer of springs? Race Tech? or another brand? Hyper Pro or some other brand?

Thanks Terry / Pittsburgh

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
April 14, thanks to all who replied. If you all can help me understand, because I am confused with conflicting information. Progressive vs non-progressive, valve vs no valve, spacer with stock springs vs new springs. Oil weight 20 or 15 or 10, but generally the idea I got is start at 10.

Can anyone recommend a manufacturer of springs? Race Tech? or another brand? Hyper Pro or some other brand?

Thanks Terry / Pittsburgh
Well I'm new to my old ST1100, but not to fork modifications or suspension in general, so take what I say in that context. I can perhaps explain things, but I have no personal knowledge of what will work with the ST. I have installed emulators in damper rod forks before (86 VFR750F), and have re-sprung and re-valved my last three bikes with cartridge forks (RF900, VFR800 and VTR1000F).

Springs first: the function of the spring is to hold the motorcycle at the correct attitude for steering geometry, and to absorb bump energy allowing the wheel to ride up/over or down/through road imperfections. The combination of spring rate (stiffness, usually measured in kg/mm) and preload is what determines these properties.

A straight rate spring has the same stiffness through its travel, whereas a progressive spring starts soft and has increasing stiffness as it compresses. If you look at a progressive spring you?ll see the coils are very close together at one end and further apart at the other, basically as the spring compresses the tight coils touch and stop compressing further, so the rest of the spring becomes stiffer.

In a fork however you also need to consider the effect of the air pocket over the oil. This gets compressed as the fork travels and adds its own spring effect. You can make the effect bigger or smaller by making the air gap smaller or bigger (by changing the oil height). The air pocket is a naturally progressive spring, and can be used in conjunction with straight rate springs to give a progressive effect. If you use straight rate springs, you should also use a smaller air gap than with a progressive spring.

If the spring rate is too low, the fork will bottom occasionally which is bad for braking traction. If the rate is too high the ride quality will suffer as the fork is unable to travel far enough to absorb bump energy, transferring more force to the chassis.

From my limited research, Racetech seem to suggest lighter springs for the ST (0.9 kg/mm) than Sonic (1.1-1.2 kg/mm). My experience with my VFR and VTR suggest that 0.85-0.9 is correct for these lighter bikes, so I?m leaning towards the heavier Sonic springs.
The spacer used with a spring will determine the spring preload and that governs the normal ride height/fork travel (usually termed sag) in the absence of other forces. A typical target value for sag with the bike loaded and stationary is ? to 1/3 of the total travel. You need the sag to allow the wheel to drop into dips and holes and maintain traction.
For any given set of springs, the spacer length (if any) should be tailored for the length of the spring and to preload the springs enough to get the correct ride height. The stock springs use a high preload to get a reasonable ride height as they are a lower rate progressive spring. A stiffer spring will need less preload to get to the same ride height.

Damping is a whole other matter, and the ST along with the GL1800 use a hybrid damping set-up consisting of a damper rod in the left leg plus an antidive unit, and a conventional cartridge damper in the right leg.

Compression damping slows the rate of fork dive when hitting bumps, and rebound damping stops the fork extending too fast afterwards and causing chassis oscillations. Too little of either damping causes vagueness and loss of chassis control, too much starts to introduce harshness.

My initial examination suggests the left leg actually has little or no rebound damping, and that this is solely produced in the right leg.

The damper rod design produces damping force by sending oil through an orifice (literally, a hole drilled in the damper rod). Damping force produced through an orifice increases at the oil velocity squared, so the damper rod fork can feel slushy on soft small bumps but become harsh on a large sharper bump. The cartridge force overcomes this by combining orifice damping with a blow-off system of sprung shims; as the oil pressure in the damper rises quickly, the shims stacks open to bleed the excess away, avoiding the harsh response. The shims are simply thin washers of spring steel, and they are pushed off their seats by the oil pressure. The damper cartridge has two valves, one for rebound, the other for compression, and you can adjust the damping ?feel? by changing the individual shim stacks to make them softer or stiffer, just like leaf springs in an older car.

The Gold Valve emulator is intended to make a damper rod fork work more like a cartridge, and includes a blow-off valve that can be tailored by changing the spring and preload. Emulators are easy to install, you need to drill extra holes in the damper rod so the rod doesn?t produce damping force, and then the emulator is dropped onto the top of the rod and held in place by the fork spring.

Gold Valves for the right leg cartridge replace existing cartridge parts. Typically the valve bodies that feed the shim stacks are much greater than in the OEM part, so they flow fluid more easily and can thus be tuned for a firm but supple ride. Racetech provide specific recommendations for the shim stack recipe for compression and rebound and these are usually very close to optimum.

Gold Valve installation involves disassembling the damper cartridge, a bit daunting the first time but doesn?t require anything other than simple hand tools and paying attention to assembly order and cleanliness.

Spring rate and damping do need to go hand in hand to get the best result. You can offset deficiencies in weak springs for example by increasing the compression damping to reduce bottoming, but that is not the optimum solution.

Oil viscosity will impact on the damping forces generated as a more viscous oil will flow more slowly through orifices, producing more damping force. The oil weight will affect both compression and rebound, so as long as you wanted more of both then a higher weight oil is a good thing, but if you only wanted more rebound and no more compression damping, a higher weight oil will make the fork action harsher on bumps.

At the end of the day, you need to ask yourself what you want to do with the bike, and where you want it to excel, and also what you are prepared to invest in terms of time, money and effort.

For me, I normally ride on twisty, bumpy country roads, so I tend to err on the side of control over comfort. I?m leaning towards 1.2 kg/mm Sonic springs, modifying the right side cartridge with some high-flow pistons and stiffer shim stacks, and (hopefully) installing a similar cartridge into the left fork as well.

However the simplest path to follow is to try thicker oil in the first instance, if that works for you then great. I wouldn?t go to 15 or 20 weight as I suspect that will feel really harsh, 10 weight would be my suggested starting point (based on how my unmodified, ageing ST feels to me). You could try a different weight oil in the left and right legs, 5W to keep the compression damping supple in the left leg, 10W in the right for some more rebound control.

If you have issues with fork dive and bottoming still, in the first instance try raising the oil height in increments of 10mm, after that then new springs would be the next option.

Anyway, that?s just my opinion, and I remind you of the provisos that I made at the start! Best of luck
Terry, in Auckland.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
The Gold Valve emulator is intended to make a damper rod fork work more like a cartridge, and includes a blow-off valve that can be tailored by changing the spring and preload. Emulators are easy to install, you need to drill extra holes in the damper rod so the rod doesn’t produce damping force, and then the emulator is dropped onto the top of the rod and held in place by the fork spring.
This is what the tech guy explained to me, thanks for articulating it.
Well, seriously, it's not that hard of a job - even I was able to do the conversion easily and I bet you could too. Maybe a friend with a little mechanical ability can give you some assistance. Installing the new Gold Valve in the right fork is the trickiest part of the install, I think. Installing the Emulator in the left fork is fairly easy.
If I do go the racetech route I will hand that job over to the folks that do this on a daily basis and have the tools.

Top Bottom