Sprung an Oil leak

Bike
ST1100-L
Ok, Im hoping I have not brought another elephant! :( The pan seemed to spring an oil leak yesterday after riding 400 miles. It looks expensive? Not sure where it is coming from, but the clutch was completly covered, and so was the right hand side of the engine, a little on the left, but not too much, IT seems to be coming from just below the exhausts. Any ideas?

The bolt was covered, and a little pool where that sits there, and all over the front of the clutch, I have used parafin to clean everything to see if I can get a good look.

DSC_0013_zpsg9qemu0n.jpg

OP
OP
StuartKeith
Bike
ST1100-L
I've washed it off. It was covered all over them areas. I've cleaned it so I can get better pics were it may come from. It lost about 100mm

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
The location of that last photo has me baffled, but with any oil leak, you always look for the highest point of apparent oil flow. If the highest point is right at that timing cover, is it coming out of there. Pop that cover off and have a look. Were you just in there doing a R & R of the timing belt, or water pump? Did you have the valve covers off?

OP
OP
StuartKeith
Bike
ST1100-L
The location of that last photo has me baffled, but with any oil leak, you always look for the highest point of apparent oil flow. If the highest point is right at that timing cover, is it coming out of there. Pop that cover off and have a look. Were you just in there doing a R & R of the timing belt, or water pump? Did you have the valve covers off?
Timing belt and water pump was replaced at the service less than a year ago. I have not done anything other than take the bike in for a service 2 weeks ago :( someone else suggested it could be coming from the clutch rear housing?

Bike
97 ST1100 04 ST1300
STOC #
I just did a Timing belt and water pump replacement and about 3K later it started leaking in a similar fashion. I haven't torn all the plastic off yet and run around to see, but it sounds very similar to this. I also checked the valves and replaced the cover gaskets, so ...
Just curious as to where you were going with your comments and suggestions you were going to make.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
I just did a Timing belt and water pump replacement and about 3K later it started leaking in a similar fashion. I haven't torn all the plastic off yet and run around to see, but it sounds very similar to this. I also checked the valves and replaced the cover gaskets, so ...
Just curious as to where you were going with your comments and suggestions you were going to make.
If the water pump was replaced, chances are that the left cam drive pulley was removed in order to get the pump out. If the oil seal under the pulley was damaged and not replaced, a leak could result there, which would allow oil into the area of the timing belt - definitely not a good thing. A logical place for oil to escape there could be that timing cover.

Improper sealing of the valve covers, particularly in the "half moon" areas is a definite possibility for a leak. A small amount of blue Permatex gasket sealant is required on both sides of the gasket on the half moons at least, but I have always used a very fine bead of it around the entire gasket surface, on the valve cover side only, just to hold it well in place during installation.

Last edited:
Bike
97 ST1100 04 ST1300
STOC #
If the water pump was replaced, chances are that the left cam drive pulley was removed in order to get the pump out. If the oil seal under the pulley was damaged and not replaced, a leak could result there, which would allow oil into the area of the timing belt - definitely not a good thing. A logical place for oil to escape there could be that timing cover.

Improper sealing of the valve covers, particularly in the "half moon" areas is a definite possibility for a leak. A small amount of blue Permatex gasket sealant is required on both sides of the gasket on the half moons at least, but I have always used a very fine bead of it around the entire gasket surface, on the valve cover side only, just to hold it well in place during installation.
Thanks! I may go back and check the gasket again (and apply some permatex). I replaced the suggested seals when doing the R&R so I will assume (for now anyway) that it's not coming from under the TB cover (though I may pull the left front cover to see).
Thanks Again!

Bike
97 ST1100 04 ST1300
STOC #
Upon further inspection I'm not finding any fresh oil above the top of the exhaust manifold. I'm thinking it could be the PAIR Control gaskets. Never been changed (that I know of - heck, don't even know what they are) - do these become an issue? Could it even be these? It's at 106K.

Last edited:
Bike
97 ST1100 04 ST1300
STOC #
Actually, I'm thinking mine might just be the oil pan gasket! Go figure. I cleaned most everything up and 99% of the "new" oil appears only on the pan. (and right side lower exhaust)

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Not sure what you mean by PAIR control gaskets but the Air Suction Valves wouldn't have anything to do with an oil leak.

Trace the source (clean everything up first if you have to) to confirm, but the valve cover (firST) and cam reduction gear seal (second) are likely suspects, IMHO. FWIW YMMV Yada

John
via iPhone 6

Bike
97 ST1100 04 ST1300
STOC #
Oddly enough, it's beginning to look like part #91301-679-003 - an o-ring for the oil sight window. I'll do a bit more riding, but .... It appears the oil is coming from the bottom of the oil level finder. The screw is tight :)
Never really hear of these going out!

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Oddly enough, it's beginning to look like part #91301-679-003 - an o-ring for the oil sight window. I'll do a bit more riding, but .... It appears the oil is coming from the bottom of the oil level finder. The screw is tight :)
Never really hear of these going out!
BTDT. I know of a couple of others. Replace the o-ring. While the sight glass is off you can get a Q-tip or similar in there to clean it. You'll be surprised how shiny it actually is.

John
via iPhone 6

OP
OP
StuartKeith
Bike
ST1100-L
Well looks like it may be the rocker cover gasket. Garage spotted oil from.the left side. Said could be running into the timings cover. Now the issues I have is fixing the silencer as it snapped off on way to garage. And the folk seal they just replaced, failed on the trip home :(

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
If oil got under the timing cover and has contaminated the belt, you should not ride the bike until this is checked out. The belt could slip and end up destroying valves and pistons. This shop sounds like a nightmare!

They SHOULD have used Honda fork seals, not aftermarket, as they are known to be problematic.

Last edited:
OP
OP
StuartKeith
Bike
ST1100-L
I supplied the seals as didn't have 40 for the genuine Honda at the time. Going get gen Honda one now and do myself. Rigjt fork is fine. Just left side. Can't afford until next month. So fork gators to get through the mot :(

Top Bottom