Painting options for Honda sidecases.

I just purchased a 2004 ST1300 and the side bags looked like someone took them off the bike and slid them on asphalt paint side down. So, I took them to a local autobody shop to get a quote for repainting. $950 dollars!!!! What? So, I said thanks for the time and drove down to the local LineX dealer (the truck bedliner stuff that's sprayed in). They can do a topcoat over the coating that adds a more glossy finish than the usual flat tone. So, I got a quote for $125 dollars for both together. After I get them back I'll get pictures and an after review of them posted up here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Well here is a single before picture and lots of after pictures. I'm really pleased with the way the Line-X premium (glossy top coat) looks. Let me know what you think?

Last edited:
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Someone else has done this.. If the texture is done right it looks great and wont give you any problems for years!!
Less to clean is always good.

ESB

STRIDER
Bike
'07 ST 1300
Real close to what I had on the 1100 bags, 5-6 yrs. ago. The basecoat was good, but the clear coat was peeling.
The paint shop I took it to said they couldn"t do JUST the clear coat.
So, I got the whole thing done, Base & Clear, both bags, for about $350. The color match was perfect, & I thought it was a good deal.
Good Luck. ----- Like to see the AFTER Pics.

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Truck bedliner is some of the toughest, most useful material out there. The Rhino in my pickup is 18 years old and has not lost any of its durability. You can buy bedliner in a spray can too. It pretty much self levels. If you scratch it up, just spray back over it. I have it all over my KLR; I even have the windshield blacked out with it. The radiator guard on my ST is coated with it.
One small problem though - once it is on there, it is there for good.

I found an alternative on the Harley forum - Plastidip in a spray can. I have it on my saddlebag lids. It is surprisingly tough, self levels, allows for repeated coats if it gets scratched up, and best of all, peels right off to show the original finish if you change your mind.

Bike
No bike
STOC #
Looks awesome! Great option for a new super durable top coat! Based on those pics I want to do the entire bike with it. Thank you for the info!

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
They look great. Wonder how they'll handle the sun after 2-3 years?

Bike
No bike
STOC #
They look great. Wonder how they'll handle the sun after 2-3 years?
Bedliner is supposed to be the toughest stuff on earth! Mythbusters did a show where they proved it was literally bomb proof! But an earlier post said that the gloss top coat doesn't hold up well....

I wonder if the rough texture would effect aerodynamics... can't image it would significant but who knows

KTD1911

R.I.P. - 2020/10/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
2018 can am spyderf3
I did that to mine after my nephew kept scratching his boots on my luggage . now 3 years later I am still happy with linex application. Very durable

Last edited:

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
My pickup has been outside for most of its 18 years, the black bed liner is only slightly faded.
Thanks for that John.

For those who have done this, did you just do the painted surfaces, or the others as well? Also, anyone done this to the black plastic tupperware on an ST1100?

KTD1911

R.I.P. - 2020/10/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
2018 can am spyderf3
Thanks for that John.

For those who have done this, did you just do the painted surfaces, or the others as well? Also, anyone done this to the black plastic tupperware on an ST1100?
I only had the painted surface on the luggage covered in linex. I have not tried coating any other surfaces on the bike.

OP
OP
SFC_Ren
Same here. I only wanted the painted surface coated. the coating is probably from 1/8" to 1/4" thick so the you may not want it on something like body work where two flat pieces have to mate together with tabs or a fine line. On my bags there is a visible ridge where the lineX ends and the regular textured plastic begins, being that the edge is downward it looks fine and isn't obtrusive. But, if you painted a lower of something and not the top of it there would be a ledge 1/8" to 1'4" that would face up. If that makes sense?

Thanks for that John.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Truck bedliner is some of the toughest, most useful material out there. The Rhino in my pickup is 18 years old and has not lost any of its durability. You can buy bedliner in a spray can too. It pretty much self levels. If you scratch it up, just spray back over it. I have it all over my KLR; I even have the windshield blacked out with it. The radiator guard on my ST is coated with it.
One small problem though - once it is on there, it is there for good.

I found an alternative on the Harley forum - Plastidip in a spray can. I have it on my saddlebag lids. It is surprisingly tough, self levels, allows for repeated coats if it gets scratched up, and best of all, peels right off to show the original finish if you change your mind.
Could you share some photos of the Harley treatment?

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
I just purchased a 2004 ST1300 and the side bags looked like someone took them off the bike and slid them on asphalt paint side down. So, I took them to a local autobody shop to get a quote for repainting. $950 dollars!!!! What? So, I said thanks for the time and drove down to the local LineX dealer (the truck bedliner stuff that's sprayed in). They can do a topcoat over the coating that adds a more glossy finish than the usual flat tone. So, I got a quote for $125 dollars for both together. After I get them back I'll get pictures and an after review of them posted up here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Well here is a single before picture and lots of after pictures. I'm really pleased with the way the Line-X premium (glossy top coat) looks. Let me know what you think?

Hey - that really does look great! I have an 07 and its silver bags look like heck. I think that the PO must have whacked the top of the bags every single time she got on.

Hmmmmm.

Bike
2006 Honda ST1300A
I think I'm going to have to do this to mine too. Mine are pretty scratched up. Might try doing some plasti-dip first.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Looks good- May have to do the entire bike with that stuff!
You stole my line....

I even have the windshield blacked out with it.
Must make looking through the shield at night a bit difficult.

I have considered spraying the tip over guards - this would add durability to a part of the bike that gets heavy, abrasive use. (don't take me too seriously here).

Last edited:
Top Bottom