What's everyone like for a bike cover these days?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I'm probably going to need a full-size cover for the ST (no trunk). I got one for my V65 Sabre that held up well for years in an enclosed car port. Heavy black material with a silver heat resistant lower. I don't remember the manufacturer but I think it was one of the big names at the time.

I have some silver metallic looking half-cover that I don't need often. A buddy has one for his ST and it's falling apart. Something durable and maybe with grommets for a cable lock and full coverage.

EDIT: I should add that this would not be a travel cover so rolling up into a tube sock is not a consideration. The half-cover I have is sufficient for travel.

Last edited:

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Have only had my bike long enough to have tried one cover, the MotoCentric Centrek model size XL. [LINKY] The XL size is fine so long as the GIVI has been removed. If I were planning to leave the top box in place I'd need the XXL.

Here's my list of likes and dislikes; YMMV.

+ Fits snugly but not too tight
+ Bungee cords / hooks to keep the bottom from flapping around
+ Has stood up to direct mid-Atlantic sun for almost two years; faded but still sound apart from a couple small abrasions.
+ Reinforced slits at front to allow for a lock to be threaded through front wheel
+ Does not seem affected by muffler heat (but the Staintunes have always run cooler than many other mufflers; no idea how they compare to the OEM ST cans). I cover the bike immediately on arriving home-- no need to wait for the mufflers to cool off for fear of damaging the cover.

- The plastic reinforcing / waterproofing tape on the insides of the seams started separating from the cover almost immediately and is long gone
- Kinda bulky and tough to re-fold. But since you have a separate travel cover this probably isn't an issue for you. Mine pretty well fills a pannier; I don't use it at work but the pannier is the easiest place to store it since I have no garage or other convenient place to put it while riding.
- The stitching around the back end started unraveling recently, exposing the shock cord that keeps the bottom hem fitting snugly. A few minutes with a needle and thread yesterday evening has everything back in place and tidied up, though.
- It keeps dew from settling on the bike, but still traps moisture rising from the ground so on damp mornings there is still a sheen of condensate on the bike. Probably not an issue limited to this brand and model of cover, though.

See also this poll about covers that I started last year.

Last edited:

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
Nelson rig XXL for me. Durable, folds up nice into a nice pouch and covers the whole bike, windshield, panniers and top box. When I'm on the road and/or camping it's their small half-cover. Still covers all the bags and keeps the dew or rain off. That one folds up to the size of a large wallet so it fits easily anywhere.

STrangr

Mike O.
Bike
2007 St-1300 Abs
STOC #
+1 on dowco. I think the model I have is called weatherall plus. It is very heavy duty and waterproof.I have three for various bikes. Very happy.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Broke out my new Nelson Rigg tonight for the very first time. This will be my travel cover. It packs down small, covers the entire bike (I did take the GIVI off first), and weighs very little. Nice four-strap compression sack to pack it away, too.

OP
OP
ST Gui

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Broke out my new Nelson Rigg tonight for the very first time.
What did you get? It looks like the Nelson-Rigg Defender 2000 is going to be my pick. The compression bag is a nice touch. I've got a bargain travel half-cover but I may change that down the road.

So: XL for an ST without a top box?

And thanks everyone for your insights and suggestions!

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
What did you get?
I believe I went with the Deluxe, since this is a travel cover and I don't anticipate using it as often as i might prefer. Once my daily MotoCentric cover is toast I may take another look at the Defender, but the price scared me away from it as a seldom-used item.

So: XL for an ST without a top box?
Yep.

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
Nelson rig XXL for me. Durable, folds up nice into a nice pouch and covers the whole bike, windshield, panniers and top box. When I'm on the road and/or camping it's their small half-cover. Still covers all the bags and keeps the dew or rain off. That one folds up to the size of a large wallet so it fits easily anywhere.
Same set up for me. Has worked well for the last nine years.

OP
OP
ST Gui

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Ok I ordered a Nelso-Rigg Defender 2000 XL. BUT- in using a buddy's half cover that fits his 'Wing I found it's a little too short to fit my ST properly.

Something I didn't think of is the Bygdawg rack on the back. Does anybody have this rack or similar and the N-R XL cover? His cover and the N-R may be apples and oranges. They might let me reorder and exchange for an XXL but would that be too big. Thoughts?

OP
OP
ST Gui

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I picked up my N-R Falcon Defender 2000 (for home use) today. The XL is a tight fit over the Bygdawg rack but it does fit. I think the XXL would be a little too large.

It's very well made and the grommets are large so that I can use a cable and lock (or cable lock) to help keep it on the bike. A skosh under $100 including tax. Revzilla would have been cheaper had I the time.

OP
OP
ST Gui

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I like it; what size should I get?
Depends on your bike but the site say size M for an ST1300 without a top box. I like the idea of a ripstop nylon cover. Maybe that will be my travel cover. The N-R I got is definitely a stay at home cover.

Rodneypieon

Rodney
Bike
2004 ST1300A
I went with a Dowco and it is a life time guarantee. I had use the guarantee and no questions asked- got a new cover for free very quickly !

Top Bottom