Right front caliper seized?

FBR

Hello '96 standard here. I just started to flush and bleed the brake system, I didn't read Mike Martens article on doing it beforehand. Opened both bleeder valves but only the left is draining. I remove the banjo fitting on the right front caliper and blew through the bleeder valve and I get nothing, I do the same for the left caliper and obviously I get air and fluid coming out. Is it seized? Thanks

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I've never had that happen, but it sounds like your problem could be a bit of crud blocking the bleeder orifice. Remove it from the caliper and clear out the hole with a piece of wire or something.

OP
OP

FBR

Ok strange stuff... the right bleeder does not have a hole! A plumbers tape on both! New bleeder... thanks!IMG_20160417_151228701[1].jpg

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Consider buying four "Speedbleeders" to replace all the bleed valves. Makes the bleed job easy peasy.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Ok strange stuff... the right bleeder does not have a hole! A plumbers tape on both! New bleeder... thanks!IMG_20160417_151228701[1].jpg
There has to have been a hole originally. Take a closer look. I have never heard of a "bleeder" without a hole - it wouldn't be a bleeder.

Take it to an auto parts store and get a new bleeder. They have an assortment in a box and you should be able to match one. Make sure the new one has metric threads.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
That is very odd. I'm trying to imagine the set of circumstances that would cause a home mechanic to decide that removing the bleeders, cleaning them up, soldering the hole closed and refilling and bleeding the system (how did he do that I wonder ?) was an easier solution then fitting a new bleed valve.
Was thinking the same thing... what would cause someone to do this, if that really is solder?

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
My guess is some ham fisted DIYer, or even an incompetent shop tech, was attempting bleeding the brakes and managed to damage the bleeder seat in the caliper and rather than replace the caliper, decided to "fix" that leaking bleeder by sealing it off. This scenario is even more likely if a shop buggered it up and didn't want to pay for a new caliper.

I guess we'll find out, if the OP tries a new bleeder valve in there.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I have seen bleeders soldered closed before. Leaking? Too cheap to replace a damaged bleeder? Hard to guess what a PO was thinking.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
My guess is some ham fisted DIYer, or even an incompetent shop tech, was attempting bleeding the brakes and managed to damage the bleeder seat in the caliper and rather than replace the caliper, decided to "fix" that leaking bleeder by sealing it off. This scenario is even more likely if a shop buggered it up and didn't want to pay for a new caliper.

I guess we'll find out, if the OP tries a new bleeder valve in there.
BTW, instead of replacing the caliper, you can install a Dorman brake bleeder screw repair kit , if there is enough metal to install it. You drill & pipe tap the original bleeder hole and install the "Fix-It" bleeder. On top of it is a bleeder fitting. Take a look : Dorman part number 13960.

I had a stripped out bleeder on my Moto Guzzi Convert but there wasn't enough "meat" to install it. So I had my local TIG welder build up the area a bit so I could drill & tap to install it. You don't need to worry about warping an aluminum caliper.

Last edited:
Top Bottom