Windshield Glare

Bike
2008 Honda ST13
While riding the other night, I noticed a lot of glare on the windshield due to the lights from on-coming traffic. The glare was impairing my views of the road and I ended up lowering the windshield so I didn't have to look through it. Does this mean I need a new windshield or do even new ones have this problem? BTW: I have the stock windshield.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I never look through the windshield so I've never noticed a glare problem.

Bike
92 ST1100
While riding the other night, I noticed a lot of glare on the windshield due to the lights from on-coming traffic. The glare was impairing my views of the road and I ended up lowering the windshield so I didn't have to look through it. Does this mean I need a new windshield or do even new ones have this problem? BTW: I have the stock windshield.
Might consider not riding at night, or polish the glaze off it with plastic shield cleaner/polish;).

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
It may just be me, but I seldom raise the stock windshield above eye level. I raise mine to roughly the helmet chin bar during cold, high winds and rain. Otherwise it's generally down. I like the breeze. :D

I don't think you need a new windshield unless you want more protection. Polycarbonate windshields glare at night and it's made worse by small scratches over time -- those bug splats and grit. Rain is even worse; I can't see though it and face shield. Some are better than others when new, but the scratches get them all.

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Sometimes life sucks.....since the cataract surgery I can' see for sh!t at night.....old age I guess.... but I never look thru my windshield....and I don't ride at night any more....less drama with the deer anyway...can't see thru the windshield of my car either, especially when those F350s with bright lights are coming at me.....so I get up early and ride the daylight hours...it's prettier then anyway........ff

Bike
07 Yamaha FJR1300AE
A picture of your shield in sunlight would help. If your windshield is not heavily scratched, there are some things you can do to lessen the glare.
First, clean it--very carefully! Taking a cloth or sponge to a dirty windshield will only spread the dirt and bug guts around and scratch it more. Instead, get it wet and allow the dirt and bugs to soak for a bit. If I'm traveling, I will often soak a hotel towel in hot water and lay it across the windshield for 10 minutes, without moving it, to soften the bug guts. Then I can spray the rest off before using a gentle cleaner.
Second, use a good cleaner. Plexus, though expensive, does a very good job and will reduce the glare you get from light scratches. Try it! :)

Good luck!

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Sometimes life sucks.....since the cataract surgery I can' see for sh!t at night.....old age I guess.... but I never look thru my windshield....and I don't ride at night any more....less drama with the deer anyway...can't see thru the windshield of my car either, especially when those F350s with bright lights are coming at me.....so I get up early and ride the daylight hours...it's prettier then anyway........ff
:plus1:

Bike
2010 ST1300
Unlike all the guys above, I always ride with the shield up - looking through it at speeds over 55. And, since I look through it, I take meticulous care of it. In addition to what two_wheeled said in #7, I use Novus windshield wax. They make several very fine polishes for windshields and depending on condition and age, you might need one of these. About a year ago I bought a Calsci windshield (marginally quieter and a bit taller than stock) and have been using the recommended mix of Rain-x windshield wiper fluid and regular windshield wiper fluid (50-50). Do not use any windex type or fluid that contains ammonia. Never ever use paper towels on your windshield (I've been told not to use these on glass windshields either) - I use cut squares of old flannel pj's that I keep for this purpose in my topbox along with the Novus and R-x/washer juice.

So, to sum it all up, Check out Novus products - you may need to polish out scratches (test on a lower corner). Keep that shield clean - get bugs off no later than the end of every day (I even do this at gas stops). Consider a new windshield if your old one is scratched badly. Plastic polishes are not cheap and may take a fair amount of work. Other products recommended on this site along with my edited comments from the guys who recommended them in ( ): Fastax (ok); Rejex (works well); Novus 1 (water beads); Ranshield 1 (water beads).

Other threads here for aftermarket shields - search for windshield - or PM me and I can send you several links.

A PS - I've been looking for Plastic Rain-x treatment. The current 'original' formula (a claim that I doubt based on conversations with Rain-x tech support) says not to use the stuff on plastic. There is supposed to be a separate product for use on plastic windshields.

BTW, under some circumstances of low sun angle, you will get blinding glare through glass or plastic. Such is life.

Last edited:

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
A PS - I've been looking for Plastic Rain-x treatment. The current 'original' formula (a claim that I doubt based on conversations with Rain-x tech support) says not to use the stuff on plastic. There is supposed to be a separate product for use on plastic windshields.
I got some Plastic Rain-x treatment at O'Reilly and have seen it at Walmart. Not using it on windshield prefer Plexus. I am using it on helmet face shield to bead water better; however, not the inside since it fogs up in rain badly (swear it enhances the fog).

Top Bottom