Lane Splitting - "and the beat goes on" !

OP
OP
STill STylin

STill STylin

Red is ALWAYS faSTer
Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #
BINGO! My sentiments exactly!

Now for all of your enjoyment, here is my DAILY commute on the last 13 miles (or so) of I15.

https://youtu.be/M3I4Wg-P9Yo

It took me 21 minutes to go 13 miles, so if you think I'm going to sit in this stuff like a cage, you're nuts!

Can anyone see this video? I was told it was private and the person couldn't view it! I hope I fixed that...
Yep, video works fine and thanks for posting. Is it my imagination most vehicles in the "#1 lane" appear to be moving to the left - creating a wider clearance for your safer passage. If that's true, have you special lighting or are the cagers simply more courteous in your area??

Thanks,
-Elliot

JQL

Growing old disgracefully :)
Bike
NT700VA
As I understand it, please correct me if I'm wrong, on the East Coast of the USA there is television, radio, newspapers, magazines, billboards, hoardings and the internet.

If Filtering was made legal, I'm certain advertisements could be placed in these media informing the uninformed of the benefits to them of allowing Filtering. The benefits to the State are enhanced road safety and lower congestion. I'm sure they have budgets to help reduce congestion and increase road safety.

You never know, some of the unenlightened may take up motorcycling as a more convenient method of commuting. :22yikes: :D

:bigpop:

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
SupraSabre:

Great video. Those Evitek G6 H4 LED lowbeam wigwags seem to part the red sea. I can see the white light flashing on the back of some of the cars as you pass. Head light modulators work cause they seem to see you coming. Great argument for quiet pipes. The modulator is better than loud pipes! Now we have proof. I have seen the light! -- Thanks!

Last edited:
Bike
07 ST1300
One of the east coast problems regarding lane splitting is we just don't have enough bikes.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Want to see road rage or worse - try these practices in the East.
Sure, let's encourage people to do things that aren't legal and see if anybody gets ticked off about it. I'll be honest with you: I get just as ticked off when I see riders splitting illegally whether I'm on two wheels or four. It isn't because I care if the guy doing it lives or dies as a result; it's because other drivers will remember the nimrod on the bike splitting lanes illegally, and that will have an impact on how they treat me when I encounter them a week later. That kind of stuff sticks.

I've seen splitting and filtering firsthand in California and other countries and it works just fine. (Haven't done it myself because I've never been on a bike someplace where it's legal.) Most everybody's well-behaved about it, and the proportion that isn't doesn't seem any different than for other drivers/riders behaving like knobs. Make it legal and I'm all for it.

Right on red used to be illegal in all 50 states until one morning in 1978 when it wasn't. By some miracle, the entire country learned to handle people being allowed to leave the intersection and enter moving traffic before it was "their turn" without bodies being piled up at every corner.

--Mark

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Sure, let's encourage people to do things that aren't legal and see if anybody gets ticked off about it. I'll be honest with you: I get just as ticked off when I see riders splitting illegally whether I'm on two wheels or four. It isn't because I care if the guy doing it lives or dies as a result; it's because other drivers will remember the nimrod on the bike splitting lanes illegally, and that will have an impact on how they treat me when I encounter them a week later. That kind of stuff sticks.

I've seen splitting and filtering firsthand in California and other countries and it works just fine. (Haven't done it myself because I've never been on a bike someplace where it's legal.) Most everybody's well-behaved about it, and the proportion that isn't doesn't seem any different than for other drivers/riders behaving like knobs. Make it legal and I'm all for it.

Right on red used to be illegal in all 50 states until one morning in 1978 when it wasn't. By some miracle, the entire country learned to handle people being allowed to leave the intersection and enter moving traffic before it was "their turn" without bodies being piled up at every corner.

--Mark
+1... The initial thought of it scares me as I'm not used to it but once the public learns it's legal and the word gets around then I don't mind doing it. There are a few spots in the DFW area I avoid because they are almost always stop-and-go where major areas merge and it's just faster to go the long way..... okay, I'll probably still go the long way but if I get caught somewhere I didn't anticipate that it would be nice to know I can split in 100 degree weather before I pass out.. lol

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Wow, I wish the knob heads up here would move over and let me through.
Does make it nicer!

Yep, video works fine and thanks for posting. Is it my imagination most vehicles in the "#1 lane" appear to be moving to the left - creating a wider clearance for your safer passage. If that's true, have you special lighting or are the cagers simply more courteous in your area??

Thanks,
-Elliot
You're seeing correctly. Many in the #1 lane move to the left before I pass them, because they "see" me coming!

SupraSabre:

Great video. Those Evitek G6 H4 LED lowbeam wigwags seem to part the red sea. I can see the white light flashing on the back of some of the cars as you pass. Head light modulators work cause they seem to see you coming. Great argument for quiet pipes. The modulator is better than loud pipes! Now we have proof. I have seen the light! -- Thanks!
Sometimes I have to use the highbeams that get even better response! Yes, those LED headlights have really made a difference. People see me much better, long before I get to them!

And BTW, just for the record, I DON'T encourage anyone to split lanes if they don't feel comfortable doing it, nor do I encourage anyone to do so where it is illegal!

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
That's the point. There is usually more than one way to accomplish a task. We, as a nation, are developing a nasty habit of legislating 'that's great but we will do it my way'.
This is a major issue in society as a whole right now. It's individuals or groups forming around an idea they agree or disagree with and try to impose their opinion on everyone else, even when what everybody else does or thinks has no material effect on them. What gives any group the right to dictate their opinions or allowable actions to anyone else when there is no harm or rights violation of others as a result of those opinions actions?

Another perspective:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mTp-SIpyuA

See all those drivers flipping me off? ;)

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300A
wait, this is a motorcycle forum, right ???? :think1:
True, but some of us drive a cage on occasion, too.

Jeff and other Californians... I am just astounded at the argumentativeness, for lack of a better word, with us in the East, on this topic. We, I think, 'get' what you folks are saying just fine. Problem is that the points you make are completely irrelevant to motorists' way of thinking and behaving here, which you all just seem to overlook. They cannot be trusted, and this is no different than cutting in line at a store or such. Want to see road rage or worse - try these practices in the East.
Nicely said, DeanR. Thanks! BTW, I've enjoyed the finger lakes region as much as I enjoyed Lake Tahoe & Napa.

If legalized, no one will require that you participate.
I'd have to "participate" while driving a cage.

Oddly enough, as slow as VA is to adopt some practices, we were one of the first to legalize left turn on red (only from a one-way street onto another one-way).

Blrfl resides in NoVa which is an area I avoid (bike & cage) as much as possible due to the traffic congestion anywhere near The Beltway.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
Screwed up today on my commute. Decided to split between a bus and a pov. I miss shifted into neutral and the bus had a travel line towards me so I got pinched. No injury to me but I now need a left side saddle bag and a right side mirror and housing.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Screwed up today on my commute. Decided to split between a bus and a pov. I miss shifted into neutral and the bus had a travel line towards me so I got pinched. No injury to me but I now need a left side saddle bag and a right side mirror and housing.
Oops! Well, that's a bummer!

As the CHP pointed out before they had to detract their "It's okay to Lane Split" Notice; "... if it's too narrow to safely split... DON'T!"

Bike
2010 ST1300
That was the first mistake which led to the 2nd. I misjudged the space.

Oops! Well, that's a bummer!

As the CHP pointed out before they had to detract their "It's okay to Lane Split" Notice; "... if it's too narrow to safely split... DON'T!"

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
That was the first mistake which led to the 2nd. I misjudged the space.
Believe it or not, that's easy to do! Especially if you don't do it all the time.

How much of your saddlebag is busted?

Check with me after this weekend, I might have a '06 mirror housing available. (I think they are the same as the '10.)

Last edited:

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Yeah, I'm really leery splitting next to long vehicles, it's kind of hard to judge if you have the space all the way through sometimes and whether it will persist until you can get by.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Believe it or not, that's easy to do! Especially if you don't do it all the time.

How much of your saddlebag is busted?

Check with me after this weekend, I might have a '06 mirror housing available. (I think they are the same as the '10.)

The the zip tie attach point is gone. Yanked the pin from the single connector. Double connector doesn't want to stay connected.
I will take pictures of the bag.

I may try some abs cement on the bag.

Attachments

Last edited:

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
The the zip tie attach point is gone. Yanked the pin from the single connector. Double connector doesn't want to stay connected.
I will take pictures of the bag.

I may try some abs cement on the bag.
That's an interesting break! I obtained a rightside that had a break in it, a little worse than that. I plastic welded it back together, but I'm not sure how strong it is.

One trick I thought I would try is something Uncle Phil suggested in plastic repair, super glue and baking soda. I haven't tried it yet, but thought it would be worth a shot.

Bike
2010 ST1300
That's an interesting break! I obtained a rightside that had a break in it, a little worse than that. I plastic welded it back together, but I'm not sure how strong it is.

One trick I thought I would try is something Uncle Phil suggested in plastic repair, super glue and baking soda. I haven't tried it yet, but thought it would be worth a shot.
I was surprised that it broke there with no scuffs or evidence of contact on the outboard side of either bag. I tried the the super glue baking soda trick on my son's airsoft rifle magazine . Did work. I am not sure if all the plastic is there for a repair on the bag. Thanks for the offer of a mirror housing. I will take you up on it if it is available. Looked mine over some more last night and one mount lug is missing and an attach point for the lens housing broke.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I had to put a mirror cover and a saddlebag lid back together at FerrySToc (a bad fall over from the side stand). Super glue gel (good quality) and baking soda does the trick! Folks were amazed as I 'reassembled' the mirror cover then snapped it back on the bike and rode. :D

Top Bottom