Help! 16,000 mile maintenance.

Bike
2008 Honda ST13
Does any one want to help me do my 16,000 mile maintenance? When I say "help", I mean do it while I watch:)

Barring that, how much do you think it would cost at a shop?

st1300doug

Since almost ALL of us hardly check the valves until like....30K....50K......sometime, all you need to do is check the nuts/bolts and make sure to change the fluids. Oil, filter, rear shaft fluid. I waited on the brake/clutch fluids until 30K. Do you do your own oil changes? Easy-peezy. That's about it.......others will surely HAVE their opinion. This is just mine...my '06 has just turned 60K...and running like a Gem!

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Where in Minnesota? Per above, pretty simple maintenance involved.........good luck.....ff

Bike
2010 ST1300
Brake fluid is hydroscopic - it absorbs moisture from the atmosphere. This is why Honda recommends changing it based on time (every 2 years) rather than mileage. If you put 2000 miles on the bike each year, after a few years of sitting inside(?) you might start getting corrosion inside the calipers. Note the 'might' - it depends on too many factors to predict. Better be safe than sorry with the brake and clutch systems.

As for the valves, you must have had them checked by now, or do you really have only 8K on your '08 bike? It all depends on you. Some guys worry if certain maintenance items are not done at the exact mile, and others run their bikes 100k miles on the original oil (slight exaggeration - but you get my drift). YMMV.

OP
OP
Bike
2008 Honda ST13
Since almost ALL of us hardly check the valves until like....30K....50K......sometime, all you need to do is check the nuts/bolts and make sure to change the fluids. Oil, filter, rear shaft fluid. I waited on the brake/clutch fluids until 30K. Do you do your own oil changes? Easy-peezy. That's about it.......others will surely HAVE their opinion. This is just mine...my '06 has just turned 60K...and running like a Gem!
I think I like this answer best. I have about 16,300 now and I changed the oil and filter already this Spring. I had the clutch and brake fluid changed last year. I'll try to make the tech event this year depending on my schedule. Thanks ALL for the replies.

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Does any one want to help me do my 16,000 mile maintenance? When I say "help", I mean do it while I watch:)

Barring that, how much do you think it would cost at a shop?
Get yourself a shop manual.
On an eight year old bike that has probably been kept inside with about 16k miles on it, the most pressing need is the brake and clutch fluids and oil and filter change. The coolant should probably be changed as well, due to age.
Since it is a relatively new ST and I am assuming the forks have never been taken apart, I would change the fork oil, too. There will be tiny, tiny bits of metal in the old oil due to the manufacturing process and wear in of the forks. Mine looked like it had glitter in it the first time I changed it about 80k miles ago. You will not believe how dirty it will be, even at 16k miles. I change mine every 16k anyway. Some people think this is overkill, I do not.
Go ahead and change the rear drive oil, too, especially if it has never been done. Be sure to clean off the magnetic drain plug.
A shop will charge you cubic dollars for these very simple tasks.

Top Bottom