IBA Ride Question

Bike
2012 ST1300
I was wondering how the IBA and it's riders look at routing. Technically I'm sure it doesn't matter as long as you have the miles, but I mean going out X amount of miles turning around and returning vs. say a big loop.

Plus looking at their website before I could of swore I saw a Nebraska SS1000. Maybe for other states as well? I don't see these rides there now, anyone know of these rides?

The reason I ask is I was going to do the NE. 1000 in prep. for a attempt at the BBG-1500. I have a big loop mapped out or to make it easy I could just go straight on I-80 turn around and return. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Don

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
An out and back is easier to document, but a little boring to me. With a loop, you need to document the corners (with receipts) to prove that you didn't run a diagonal and shave off mileage. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
I could just go straight on I-80 turn around and return.
And that would be fun how?

Needless to say, I've never understood the attraction of official Iron Butt stuff.
Biggish mile riding days are fine, however.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Runner
Bike
2012 ST1300
I see what you're saying Dean, other than the joy of being on the back of my ST, I-80 through Nebraska isn't much fun at all. Probably do the loop, I don't think time will be an issue.

I like the idea of Iron Butt rides, man and his machine, big miles vs........the clock! haha idk
I've done one SS1000 on a '86 700 Magna so I know I can make it in plenty of time with the ST. The only reason I am thinking about doing the 1000 again was to get a Nebraska SS1000 cert. (if it exist) and to warn my butt of a possible 1500 in less than 24 ride! lol

Thanks kendoo, I'll post whatever I do.

OP
OP
Runner
Bike
2012 ST1300
Those big mileage days have a 'call' all unto themselves. They all add up to the total trip which include low mileage/no mileage days.
Ahh, give me at least 21 days on the road and I'll show you a gleam in the eye that will light up the dark side of the moon.:)
I think I know what you're saying, I always think about big mile days, and big trips. I just returned from a almost 4000 mile ride to the south and across to California and back to visit family. I know I had a gleam in my eyes then! :D

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Funny this should get on the conversation board today- I was thinking about starting a similar conversation myself though not necessarily quite as focused on IBA type of riding.

I am halfway between home and the GA Spring Rally, which puts me in Radford, VA. The route I took was..... indirect, shall we say, and covered about 320 miles. Granted, I was not in any rush to make big miles and avoided even U.S. highways as much as possible for most of the day. Among other roads, I covered the northern 100 miles of the Blue Ridge Parkway as part of the day. Lots and lots and lotsa twists and turns on that one.

How does this relate to the thread topic, I hear you ask? I was on the road for nearly 11.5 hours, although that includes stoppage time to deal with a minor mechanical issue, and covered somewhere in the neighborhood of 325 miles. But now I am absolutely whacked.

I've read from others that building up to "long" days takes training and practice, just like anything else. But apart from using more interstate to rack up mileage, what techniques do you high-mileage-day riders use to get ready? And how much work do you put in to stay in trim after you have gotten to that point?

........... I have a big loop mapped out or to make it easy I could just go straight on I-80 turn around and return. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Don
My thought would be to avoid the "out and back" at all costs. I have no where near the experience as some of the others in this forum when it comes to miles but similar to running......there are quality miles and "junk" miles. Doing miles for the sake of doing miles really isn't for me. My suggestion would be to choose another format and "try" to make it as interesting as possible. Loops are good and cause you to plan abit more as far as receipts etc. Planning is one of the pleasures of long distance rides as well.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I had never rode more than about 6 hours continuously before I did my SS1000 last year. I was on a bike that was far less capable than my ST1300 (did not own that yet). Anyway,,, I prepared carefully,, planned and timed things out miticulously. But stuff went wrong anyway,,, and I wound up riding 20.5 hours, with a 3.5 snooze and snack in the middle somewhere. Also,,, I had 12 refueling stops of about 10 minutes each,,, which timed nicely with giving my aching butt a rest every 90 minutes or so. I kept all the refueling receipts,, and log sheets c/w odometer readings and gps countings. But that was 2 hours spent pumping fuel, recording data,, and bio-breaks,, btw. Getting lost once cost me some time,,, which cut into my planned rest period,, however that mileage counted towards the total. Planning and logistics are part of the adventure. It is not something to be underestimated,,, and it is very satisfying to have things go as close to your flight plan as possible. Routing,,, food,,, clothing,,, hydration. Everyone's ride is different,,, and mine was a straight line ride (not a loop),, and actually finished short of my expected destination, but over the 1000 mile requirement. Then,,, I went on to enjoy another 2000 miles at a more leisurely pace. Completely flat spotted my rear tire,,, but it died a valiant death,,, Cat'
ps: it was on the ride back that I decided to get my ST !!

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Funny this should get on the conversation board today- I was thinking about starting a similar conversation myself though not necessarily quite as focused on IBA type of riding.

I am halfway between home and the GA Spring Rally, which puts me in Radford, VA. The route I took was..... indirect, shall we say, and covered about 320 miles. Granted, I was not in any rush to make big miles and avoided even U.S. highways as much as possible for most of the day. Among other roads, I covered the northern 100 miles of the Blue Ridge Parkway as part of the day. Lots and lots and lotsa twists and turns on that one.

How does this relate to the thread topic, I hear you ask? I was on the road for nearly 11.5 hours, although that includes stoppage time to deal with a minor mechanical issue, and covered somewhere in the neighborhood of 325 miles. But now I am absolutely whacked.

I've read from others that building up to "long" days takes training and practice, just like anything else. But apart from using more interstate to rack up mileage, what techniques do you high-mileage-day riders use to get ready? And how much work do you put in to stay in trim after you have gotten to that point?
325 back road miles 2 or 3 times a month suffices to train up to doing it on a regular basis and riding regular days like that keep me in shape.

My first SS1000 I had the opinion that "anyone can do a SS on the interstate" so I planned a ride that was 700 miles of small two lane county and state roads and 350 of interstate. It took me over 20 hours and I was falling asleep in the saddle the last 150 miles. I stopped 4 times the last 150 miles. On small roads pace I'm lucky to maintain a 45 mph overall average for a full day so to up that 52 or 53 mph average I was riding way too fast on small curvy roads and over half of it in rain and/or darkness. It was insane of me. It's just not safe, for me anyway, to attempt another SS running majority off interstate. I was dumb. All the IBA rides since have been mostly or all interstate.

Not everyone understands LD riding and I don't expect them too. For me an IBA ride is fun pre-planning the route then riding the plan. There are always challenges of traffic and weather that have to be managed and the discipline to ride the plan or make forced mid-ride changes and keep going. I like the 300-500 back road mile 10 or 12 hour rides alot more than knocking out 1000 on the interstate but I only do one IBA every year or two versus racking up 20 or 30,000 back road miles annually which is riding those 325 mile days nearly every weekend. I've also done half my documented rides on the NC700X which has great mpg but limited fuel capacity. It's not considered a LD machine which makes the goal even more special to me. Planning route legs on mpg at steady certain speed in order to make the leg distance requires meticulous planning down to go/no go or clockwise loop or CCW loop based on forecast winds.

To the OP, the IBA only has those few extreme rides were the route itself is laid down by requirement of start and stop points or intermediate check points. All other ride routes are pretty much up to the rider. I've done loops and straight lines but have planned several out-and-backs but weather or my inclination when I took off did not suit that route choice so I haven't done one - but I might next time. An intrastate SS1000 route such as a FL1000 or NE1000 is up to the rider as long as it meets documentation requirements.

Last edited:
Bike
VTX1300R
I was wondering how the IBA and it's riders look at routing. Technically I'm sure it doesn't matter as long as you have the miles, but I mean going out X amount of miles turning around and returning vs. say a big loop.

Plus looking at their website before I could of swore I saw a Nebraska SS1000. Maybe for other states as well? I don't see these rides there now, anyone know of these rides?

The reason I ask is I was going to do the NE. 1000 in prep. for a attempt at the BBG-1500. I have a big loop mapped out or to make it easy I could just go straight on I-80 turn around and return. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Don
I am hooked. I was bored a few days ago and did 1150mi SS1000 out and back. Sick, Yes. I even find LD riding relaxing.

I do like slower touring also but many times I just need to get to the area I want to enjoy. I think it is good for everyone who tours to plan out and try one SS1000 even if they do not finish. It will educate the person on their limitations and what to expect if they are pushed to get to point B. It in enhanced my planning and I developed a routine at stops. Yes, I did have to make some unexpected stops.

Be sure to read the IBA rules. On an out and back ride it stats you must get a time dated fuel receipt at the turn around point. Be sure it is readable. You only need a start and stop witness. As stated above a circle ride you need the corners. My policy is when in doubt get a time, dated, fuel stamp. My first one I even took pictures of the station with my VTX in the picture in front of it. No need.

Yes, I am sure there is a 1000 for Nebraska. When you file your paper work request it so there is no mistake. My first SS1000 was a Texas 1000 and I did not even know they offered it. I got the SS1000 certificate plus a TX 1000 certificate. This last one I requested it to be sure I got it. There is a state 1000 for each state. However, since the northeast states are so small I believe they have a special 1000 ride for them. There are even city 1000s. But on those you had better contact Mike Kneebone first.

You may want to join the Premier member part of IBA. At least get the mag. It has a lot of good stuff in it.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
325 back road miles 2 or 3 times a month suffices to train up to doing it on a regular basis and riding regular days like that keep me in shape.
what techniques do you high-mileage-day riders use to get ready? And how much work do you put in to stay in trim after you have gotten to that point?
I think the answer to your question is exactly what Dave said above. And also to how you get to Carnegie Hall - practice, practice, practice. Some years ago I got a job in New York City that required me to drive there from home with my tools (from Cleveland), I think 15 times in a 2.5 year period of time. The first few trips were awful - I'd not done any long trips in my car for years and I was having a hard time staying awake. After a few trips it got easier, and by the end of the first year I was having no trouble at all with the drive. Marathoners are told to up their weekly running mileage to about half the race length - minimum. Many do upwards of 50 miles a week or more. There is your answer. Get out and ride. The more you do the more you will be able to do.

motofisch

(Scott)
Bike
2006 ST1300
The IBA has a terrific quarterly magazine that is available to all - no need to be a member. Lots of tips are available for those that wish to pursue safe, comfortable high-mile days. My recommendation is to keep riding as much as possible and focus on maximizing the comfort of the bike and gear. Anything that is mildly annoying at 100 miles will be intensely uncomfortable at 500 and downright painful after that.

Develop a routine at stops that will minimize time looking for items in various compartments - know where things go and keep them there. Never confuse high miles with high speed. Higher speeds lead to mental fatigue much sooner than lower speeds. Think of it this way: Riding involves many rider decisions per mile. When you're covering more miles in the same amount of time, that equates to more decisions for the same amount of time than a slower speed. It's mentally challenging. Extrapolate that over a 20+hours SS1000 ride and you can be mentally exhausted well before you reach your goal.

I avoid caffeine (a diuretic) and other stimulants while riding. I also try to avoid gas station food as much as possible and pack my own snacks that I eat while refueling. The ST carries lots of fuel so that helps to minimize gas stops. It took a bit of working to get to the point that I can go tank-to-tank without stopping in between.

Like the previous commenters have said, keep practicing. And enjoy!

http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
To the OP check out the MTF site Motorcycle Tourers Forum they sponsor a lot of IBA rides and handle all the paperwork for you they usual's have a pre determined start point with witnesses and a turn around point they have them in many places around the country check them out.

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
I only have two under my belt (SS1000 & BB1500) and I did both of those as a trip, meaning in one direction primarily on the interstate. I'll be attempting a BBG1500 this June while heading to RockSToc from Atlanta. If I was not a trip I would do an out and back the same interstate but it really doesn't sound very appealing.

Skip

thekaz

haz gone feral

Thanks, Don
The best thing to do would be join the IBA forums and ask Ira about a Nebraska 1000.
The loop vs super slab in the IBA is like starting a thread about which oil is best LOL
Most of my IBA rides are done on a ZX12R which is totally boring running super slab. I prefer loops so I can see more of planet earth :p

ESB

STRIDER
Bike
'07 ST 1300
YES - Like the OP, I have the exact same question.
I just want to go out and back on same route, and not worry about CORNER Receipts, or have different scenery.
The only thing the IBA says NO to is a 100 mile out and back 5 times. They will NOT buy that, or similar.
I think they'll accept ANY OTHER route or ride, with the correct records and documentation.
I'd like to know if these are the basic rules for their SS1000 ride.
Maybe a Rep. from IBA can answer.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
When I planned my first SS1000,,, I considered an out and back LOOP,, in fact I was going to do it twice to get the required miles in. Then I scrapped that plan,, in favor of a trip,, with an enjoyable destination at the end. This is a much better approach,,, for me anyway,,, less surgical and more challenging than out and back on interstate only. One other thing,,, respect your circadian rhythm. If you don't know what that is,,, you are not ready to go,,, Cat'

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Michael Kneebone was a big help to me. You have to give him a chance to reply,,, as he fields a lot of questions. I think you will find his email on the IBA site. Cat"

YES - Like the OP, I have the exact same question.
I just want to go out and back on same route, and not worry about CORNER Receipts, or have different scenery.
The only thing the IBA says NO to is a 100 mile out and back 5 times. They will NOT buy that, or similar.
I think they'll accept ANY OTHER route or ride, with the correct records and documentation.
I'd like to know if these are the basic rules for their SS1000 ride.
Maybe a Rep. from IBA can answer.

Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
I found that I like to have a reason to do a IBA ride....not just an out and back. Ex, I went to Maryland and back for lunch met other riders there was also linked with the Curt Gran waffle house ride. Moonshine, ss1000 to get there. Rode home from NC(that one I didn't document just wanted to see if I could do it). 50CC to get to San Diego, enjoyed ride home for a week and half along with attending Moonshine on the way back.
I just found it easier and less boring to go somewhere or have a reason to get to where your going.

Bike
VTX1300R
I have read several questions about an IBA ride. Some have been answered in the above responses. Many of them can be answered by going to the IBA site. The instructions for an SS1000 are pretty clear. Several other ride rules are covered there also.

As I said above, an out and back is OK just get a dated, time, receipt with the fuel station name and address on it at the turn around point. Plus other fuel stop receipts.

It is correct they strongly frown on 100 miles out and back 5 times. I would not say IBA would not approve it but I sure would get it pre approved before boring myself like that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom