IBA Ride Question

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I was wondering how the IBA and it's riders look at routing. Technically I'm sure it doesn't matter as long as you have the miles, but I mean going out X amount of miles turning around and returning vs. say a big loop.

Plus looking at their website before I could of swore I saw a Nebraska SS1000. Maybe for other states as well? I don't see these rides there now, anyone know of these rides?

The reason I ask is I was going to do the NE. 1000 in prep. for a attempt at the BBG-1500. I have a big loop mapped out or to make it easy I could just go straight on I-80 turn around and return. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Don
Don, You have received quite a few good responses, but I'd like to try and answer your questions more directly. When I plan a route for a specific ride, much of that work completely depends on the specific ride I'm doing. Obviously a coast to coast or border to border ride will need specific routing, but a Saddlesore can be routed with a lot of leeway. My first Saddlesore 1000 was simply a big loop. I chose a route through some country I had not seen before, and used good highways and interstates. As it turned out, the entire ride took about 18 hours.
As the rides difficulty increases, planning your route on faster roads with few slow areas becomes more important. For example, for my first Bun Burner Gold, (1500+ miles in 24 hours) I chose an all interstate route that was 760 miles out, and 760 back. That ride took 23.2 hours. I had a lot of rain and slow traffic to contend with as well.

To plan a successful route, the IBA simply want's you to be able to "prove your ride". If you do a loop, they ask that you document the "corners" so you have proof of not shortcutting the loop. For example, on my first loop, I started in Phoenix, and got receipts from Flagstaff, Albuquerque, Las Cruces, Tuscon, and back home. Obviously there were other stops in between as well, but those were the "corners". If you do an "out and back" ride, documenting your turn-around point is critical.

The IBA has "In-State" Saddlesore rides for every state. To get the In-State Saddlesore cert, you simply have to do your entire ride within the borders of the state. Nebraska should be pretty doable. Let me know if you need help with a route.
As to my qualifications to give this advice,
I have been an IBA member since 1999, and have done about 45 certified rides, and finished the Iron Butt Rally.

Garry

To those who say they don't like IBA style rides because they don't get to see anything, I offer the following bit of wisdom from my buddy Clive:

“ But you don’t see anything if you just ride…..” “ Endurance test instead of pleasure…. “ +many other comments……

Clive's rebuttal:

So let me share just some of the things I managed to see/experience in the last 43 hrs.
Riding 2,074 miles (3,318klms) without exceeding the speed limit by more than 8mph and riding at it, or below, most of the time.

As an aside, I abandoned my attempt at the Bun Burner Gold cert (1,500 miles in 24hrs) and settled for the Bun Burner ( 1,500 miles in 36 hrs or less ) and the SS2000 ( 2,000+ miles in under 48hrs). I might have been able to do it in time but would have had to really push it at the end. Safety trumps all so I backed off and live to ride another day with two more cert rides in the bag.…

In no particular order….

I visited British Columbia, Washington, Oregon, California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas. Yes, that’s seven States and Provinces.

I have experienced weather from just above freezing to 90+ Fahrenheit. I have been rained on in the desert. Which dropped the temp from 90 to 65 in about 3 minutes...I watched a storm forming over the desert, felt the winds pick up, rode through a dust storm and discovered that tumbleweeds basically vaporize when you hit them, then the heavens opened up. I loved it.

I caught a glimpse out of the corner of my eye of a coyote on a rise with the moon behind it howling at the moon. National Geographic in real life. I howled with him. Damn I love riding at night on a lonely road with a clear sky and a moon.

I have dragged my floorboards for the second time attempting to GO STRAIGHT down the highway. Reminded me of riding the northern peninsula in Newfoundland.

Had a New Mexico state trooper wave back at me when he passed while I was doing 80mph (128klm). ( Speed limit 75mph )

I saw the Rio Grande. I saw the Canadian Rockies, The Cascades, The Sierra Madres and a few mountain ranges I don’t know the names of. Piddly little rivers like the Colorado and the Columbia. Lake Havasu.

An irrigation system that is so vast it's hard to comprehend it’s size.

A MASSIVE man made lake ( Lake Shasta ).

I’ve seen just about you name it growing. Figs, grapes, olives, pistachios, almonds, more species of cactus than I could name. Oranges, garlic, lettuce, tomatoes etc etc etc..

I’ve ridden through temperate rain forest, alpine, Redwood’s, and desert.

I’ve seen a “B” train semi wandering all over the road. Upon passing it, I saw why. It had two drivers. Yes, two. It would appear that the driver let his wife? girlfriend? hitchhiker? sit on his lap and steer the big rig. She was so excited by the act of controlling his big rig she was jumping up and down! Ahemm….

Saw the continental divide. Who knew it was at an altitude of 4,380ft in New Mexico?

Saw Truth and Consequences. Again in New Mexico.

Spotted "20 Mule Team Rd". Added it to my collection.

I watched the birth of a road gator…. you know, when a big rigs tire lets go… Twice. Many hours apart. Believe me, you will NEVER ride alongside or follow a big truck again without clamping down those cheeks after seeing that little show up close.

I watched a woman next to me , sorry girls, give a nice little bumper tap to the car ahead while we were doing 75mph on the new 8 lane in Phoenix, yes 8 lanes, because she was doing her makeup in the visor mirror.

I ran over a rattler. Course it was a rattler, it was doing the sidewinder boogie and was in the desert. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

I watched a meteorite shower like I’ve never seen before. Grand finale was one big SOB that lasted, count to four doing the 1001,1002 method, and then blew up like a roman candle.

Now, this was very close to the US air force base.. Things that make ya go hmm….

I ate at a truck stop. I felt very thin and in shape.

I ate a burro burrito at a roadside stand. It was good…. I also ate at a famous Texas Bar-B-Q joint. Burro was better…

I saw plains that were so big I could literally see the curvature of the earth.

I saw a truck stop with more trucks parked in it than I will see on a trip from Victoria to Alberta. Really. Like maybe 300 trucks? Not stored, stopped.

I rode historic Route 66. I saw Buckeye AZ and Tombstone AZ.

I’ve seen the 30 to 40 huge billboards advertising “The Thing”. Culminating with the

“EXIT NOW !!!” one. I mean full sized maybe 42’x16’?? . Don’t know what it is, don’t care, didn’t stop. Loved the signs. I mean LOVED the absolute over the top craziness of it. They spent more on the signs and there was more wood used than for the building you were being directed to….

I smelt sweet sage? so strong I could taste it. Plus some other aromas that were maybe not as pleasant.

Saw some people just trying to make a better life for their family and getting arrested for being Mexican. Saw a fence that harkens back to a wall they rightfully pulled down a few years ago….

I saw the parade of motorhomes pulling a truck with a bike in the truck. Gus and Nancy Schmancy’s USA relatives I guess...

I watched a series of relatively small twisters form and perform a dance that any choreographer would weep tears of joy if he saw it.

And my favourite sign, in California of course, some kind of add for a eat local co-op thingy…

“ I want to grow my own food but I can’t find any bacon seeds?”

Oh yeah, and about a thousand other minor things. Not to mention the zen like therapy of thinking about life etc, that is until something like one of the above rudely interrupts.

That’s in 43 hrs…… Without “stopping to see things”……..

RocketMan

so many roads...
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I was wondering how the IBA and it's riders look at routing. Technically I'm sure it doesn't matter as long as you have the miles, but I mean going out X amount of miles turning around and returning vs. say a big loop.

Plus looking at their website before I could of swore I saw a Nebraska SS1000. Maybe for other states as well? I don't see these rides there now, anyone know of these rides?

The reason I ask is I was going to do the NE. 1000 in prep. for a attempt at the BBG-1500. I have a big loop mapped out or to make it easy I could just go straight on I-80 turn around and return. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Don
Hi Don,

You are getting lots of good advice. The first ride can be interesting. I had to do mine twice as some clown backed into my bike when I stopped for dinner at the 800 mile mark of the first attempt in 2009.

Have completed over 20 certified rides since then.

The in-state rides don't show up in the rules section as they are just SS1000's. If you choose the Certified IBA Ride Finishers link you can search the page for NE-1000 and you will see folks who have done just the ride you want to.

Make sure you read the Archive of Wisdom - http://ironbutt.com/tech/aowprintout.cfm

Get a SPOT Satelite Tracker and sign up for an account at Spotwalla.com. Create a trip and share it with your friends and family so they can watch your ride. Also great insurance if something should go awry and you need to be found.

Loop or thereNback doesn't really matter. A safe plan is the most important. I usually choose 4-lane divided hwys to avoid having to slow for towns and also because they usually have higher speed limits. Doing a SS2000K (kilometers) in Canada had me pushing the 24 hour limit. In the USA I was able to complete a BBG 1500 (2415 km) is about the same amount of time. Mind you, the BBG included most of Texas and it's wonderful 80 MPH Interstate.

I've logged a couple Alberta 1000's and the easiest route for me has been 400 KM out and back twice. Works out well because it is all one main highway and only one town to slow down for. Plus, I can easily go 400 KM on one tank of gas on my ST1300 at CDN Hwy speeds. Planning to maximize fuel distance helps the ride go better. Did an SS1000 with a Kawi Concours rider last year and with his 22l tank (vs 29l on the ST) we had to make 7 fuel stops instead of the 5 I usually do. IT all adds up to a longer day.

Enjoy it and have fun. And as others have said, safety first! if something comes up or you are too tired to continue just STOP so you have another day to ride.

Bruce

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Protect your Eyes and Ears. Use dark UV and polarized sunglasses AND soft foam ear plugs. It is a safety thing.

The soft foam ear plugs at your local drug/hardware store will attenuate 33db or 2,000 times quieter. Your human hearing has over 100 db of dynamic range. That is a range of 10,000,000,000. So stuffing ear plugs in your ears, you can still hear, since you still have 67 db of range left! You are not in a cage. You are fully exposed to the elements and the sound levels sitting on a motorcycle puts you at risk for long term hearing damage. But with earplugs you are protecting your hearing while still being able to hear better than someone in a car.

15+ hours of loud high frequency noise will wear your nerves very quickly and is the main reason after a long ride why you are so tired. Ear plugs will protect you from this and you will find after a very long ride that you will be not so tired!

Your vision has about the same amount of range [28 F-STOPS] (starlight to noon sun in a snow field). We all know the value of sunglasses. So protect your vision. You put on sunglasses and you can still see. You put in ear plugs you can still hear. Save your senses so you can ride another day AND you will be less tired!

This is somehow not in the IBA AOW - I think it needs to be.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Runner
Bike
2012 ST1300
Thanks for all the great replies and sharing of experience's. I do enjoy just being on the bike pounding out mile after mile. Not caring what I'm flying past when by myself, with my GF I do slow and enjoy the ride/scenery/destinations.

I am fairly new to LD riding and have tons to learn. But I have done 600 mile days on my Magna + my SS1000 as well. I have multiple 600, one 800+ mile day and just finished a trip down south to Arkansas and west to California in 3 days and 3 days back on my ST. Got just what I wanted from that ride, lots of fast moving pavement under my wheels. I'm not nervous about the NE1000 it's the BBG 1500 in 24 I have my eyes set on!

After 3 years I have just started Farkeling my bike. I've added a power port, cig lighter, cell/gps holder, Spencerized seat from a member here. Just received a set of aux. lights from another member here that I need to mount. I believe the Spencer seat has helped me ride longer but after the Ca. trip I KNOW I need a RDL!

I'm going to go ahead and knock out the NE1000 tomorrow in a loop. Again just for the NE. cert and practice for the BBG. I'll report back tomorrow.

One more quick thing, when I took off for my SS1000 (longest ride I'd attempted to that point) on my old Magna 700 with only a Spit Fire windscreen I literally took off wearing jeans, two T-shirts with a sweat shirt, cheap WM leather gloves and boots! Didn't even take a jacket! Froze my butt off in Iowa until the sun came up, then rode through 50 miles of cold rain, stopped at a McD's tried to warm/dry didn't work. Rode through another 50 miles of rain before the sun came out and it was a perfect sunny ride until I got back to Sioux Falls, SD. I had to run into WM and buy a jacket! lol But I made it 1061 miles in 21:04 sec. This time I wont add an extra 61 miles!

Thanks Again!
Don, IBA #54466

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
But I made it 1061 miles in 21:04 sec. This time I wont add an extra 61 miles!
Don, you should always plan a route that has about 5% more miles than you need, just in case your actual route is a bit shorter. I have never done a Saddlesore that was less than about 1050 miles. Your 1061 route is exactly what you should plan for.
Best of luck to you!!

Garry

OP
OP
Runner
Bike
2012 ST1300
Great advice Garry thanks,

Didn't want to leave anyone hanging I didn't do the ride today for a couple reasons, but will do it tomorrow or Monday at the latest.

OP
OP
Runner
Bike
2012 ST1300
Hi All,

I did the NE. SS1000 yesterday. Haven't even sat down to look at receipts/log yet. From my loose calculations--1070 miles/ 17:45. But I did learn a lot on this ride. My first SS1000 I was just way to excited to be out there doing it! I Would of rode through a monsoon! lol

Planning= I always have enjoyed the planning of a trip, just not that experienced in doing so. Google Maps and go! Had I known better I wouldn't of chose a route where the first 700+ miles are all 65mph. Full of small cow towns every 20/30 miles where it go's 65-55-44-35-25 mph. Painful! For me anyways. Except for a little nice country heading south out of Chadron I didn't care to see any of it. Not to mention getting my nose cleared out with the ammonia smell! If I did it again I would out and back, make it easy as possible.

The interstate has never bothered me, I enjoy the speed limits (speed limits + ) getting somewhere far away fast. Just being on the bike is good with me. It seems I always have something to share with my family about what I saw or experienced afterwards. I agree with "Clive's rebuttal".

Clothing= I think I found out that a base layer shirt made to keep you cool is not good to wear in cool weather! Wearing my leather riding jacket with base layer, T-shirt, hooded sweat shirt I started freezing. Temps never feel below 54 at night. So I stopped and put on my Tour Master. Better but still cold, actually stopped and put my leather under the TM! Only after I got home and undressed did I realize the base shirt made me chilly when the air hit it! Duh!

Seat= Go's w/o saying.

Towards the end of the ride I was thinking I'm not sure if I could do the BBG-1500. But after sleeping on it, with some improving I do think I can get it done. Especially with NE. and surrounding states to do it in.

Long winded but I could go on and on.

Don

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Congratulations on your ride. An electric jacket liner is great for long rides that see a range of temps from night to day to night and back.

Bike
1996 ST1100
STOC #
Glad you enjoyed your first one! I think that is the key - making sure it ends up being enjoyable so you want to keep doing/improving on them.

I'd add to the other great thoughts already shared - take note of every small thing that starts to be a distraction. Seam of a glove rubbing you wrong, glare from the sun late in the day when you are riding west, pressure point of a pair of new sunglasses on your temple inside your helmet...these are all things that aren't a huge deal on shorter 100, 200, 300 mile rides...but become a huge deal 875 miles into a SS 1000 or 1200 miles into a BBG and can make finishing those rides unbearable. Take note of them and work to eliminate them because they not only end up being annoying, but could be dangerous as your attention shifts from the road to these things. Use the forum to ask questions about how we all deal with them....because usually someone has had the same issue.

My IBA rides have always been planned around trips where I needed to be at a particular destination and decided my schedule allowed me to ride there instead of fly. So I've never done a loop - always point to point.

My first one was a SS1000 from Indy to Dallas to get to my niece's high school graduation: https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?86113-IBA-SS1000-this-weekend-Indy-to-Dallas

The return trip was a few days later and more of a straight shot doing just under 1000 miles.

Fast forward a couple of years later and I'm scheduled to work an NCAA track meet in Pueblo CO so out come the maps. Completed a BBG and wrote a little more detail about that ride here: https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?128265-Bun-Burner-Gold-attempt&highlight=

Again - a couple of days later I rode just under 1000 miles back...

So I like the one way rides because there is a destination at the end...haven't been able to get myself excited to do a loop IBA ride yet but have considered a Lake Michigan SS1000...just haven't made time for it yet.

OP
OP
Runner
Bike
2012 ST1300
Thanks dog, I haven't clicked your links yet but I def will. I'm not sure if loops are a bad thing or not. But the ones routed to see scenery and attractions on an IB ride are no good. IMHO I have two routes in mind for the BBG1500 one mostly out and back, one a huge loop including Nebraska, Iowa, S. Dakota, Wyoming, Nebraska again. We'll see, fun to talk about and even more fun to do!

Bike
07 Yamaha FJR1300AE
Going back and forth on the same route isn't exciting enough. You're planning an accomplishment and you will be paying good money for the certificate. Plan an interesting route that you can tell a story about!

Also:
Make yourself as comfortable as possible. Seat, wind noise, weather, seat, speed, etc. will wear you out if you aren't prepared.
Don't forget to plan around the weather! Be very aware of how the weather could change for better or worse along your intended path.
When I did my SS1000/BB1500, I ended up chasing storm clouds away for almost 24 hours. Never got a drop on me. What a trip! I loved every minute of it.
Good luck! I hope you enjoy it, wherever you go!
ironbutt July 2015.jpg

Bike
1996 ST1100
STOC #
Yes - that was one item I neglected to mention...being flexible so you can take weather into account. When I planned my BBG I actually had 3 different one way routes from Indy to Pueblo mapped so I could make a decision based on any spring thunderstorm activity that might be firing up. In the end I didn't do any of the 3 but a hybrid of 2 of them because of how the rain was sweeping through the day I departed.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
And I wouldn't worry about sightseeing or seeing anything interesting doing a BBG concentrate on the ride
Yes, not on a BBG. There isn't much margin for delays of any kind. I'm waiting on the right day with three routes in hand right now.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
+1 on the "adventure approach",,, I originally planned a surgical style, double loop, interstate route. It would have more easily gotten the job done, but ultimately would have been totally forgetable. By making the SS1000 just part of a larger 3000 mile ride, the pin became a highlight on a remarkably memorable trip. Ride safe,,, Cat'

Bike
Supere Tenere
I did my first SS1000 last September and it was one of the best rides I had last season. It was an in-state trip all around Oregon. You get a special cert for in-state rides. A big part of the fun was in the planning. Here are a few tips for what they're worth.

Plan your route with Google Maps and include gas stops and rest stops. You can search Google maps for things like "rest stops near Pendleton, OR" "Gas stations near pendleton, or" See link for sample.
https://www.google.com/maps/search/rest+stops+near+pendleton,+or/@45.9075338,-119.8315701,8z/data=!3m1!4b1

Use Google My Maps to create your map. Create a layer just for way points that will include gas stations, rest stops and food stops. I like to check with street view to make sure there really is a gas station there. Here's a link to the final map I used.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1f9pDzyQNOntzu3rVQDynDwVvAQA&usp=sharing

Export your map from Google to a *.KMZ file and import it into BaseCamp for transferring to your GPS. Your GPS will now be loaded with all your way points and routes. I broke up the trip into several different routes based on my gas stops. This way you have a ready indicator of when your next stop will be and you won't be looking at a miles to go field that is several hundred miles. I had a backup GPS with me and a list of stops and turns printed off visible in my tank bag.

Try to plan a start time that is just a little earlier than your normal waking time. For me that was 4 am. This keeps your day close to your normal waking/working day. Big meals during the ride will just make you sleepy. I stopped at 7am for gas and breakfast at McDonalds. The rest of the day it was power bars and water. I had one 5-hour energy drink at 6pm for the last few hours of the ride, finishing up at 10:40 PM. Note that some people don't react well to energy drinks. I have used them for many years on trips and find them helpful. I'm also 250 lbs and stay hydrated too so I'm thinking that helps.

Eliminate all sources of discomfort on the bike. That means an AirHawk pad for your seat if you need one. In summer that means a Beadrider. Heated grips, gloves, insoles and jacket liner are all part of the kit for a trip like this in the Pacific NW. Even in summer, it gets cold, especially at high altitudes. Being comfortable means being safe. Pain is a dangerous distraction. I have never ever regretted buying any of my heated gear. It goes with me from bike to bike and it's a great safety investment.

I have a Sena headset installed in my helmet. It lets me take hands-free calls and more importantly, for trips like these, lets me listen to books on tape (Amazon Kindle app these days) via my smartphone. I can also listen to music but the audio books really help with the boredom factor and they are fun. A normal book with last 7-9 hours. The Kindle app is controlled by the Sena jog wheel so it's easy to stop and start.

Here's a write up of my SS1000 if you're interested. http://oregonmoto.blogspot.com/2015/10/oregon-saddlesore-1000.html

These days you can turn in your paperwork online. I just made a Google shared folder and put everything in there. Here's the map that documented my ride:

Oregon is a beautiful place to ride.

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
The SS1000 is not that demanding that you need to make it all straight and fast roads. I rode Hwy 20 across northern Nebraska and it was the perfect road for a SS1000, particularly the western part. Scenic and gently curving. I really enjoyed that road. Since you're from the state, you probably know other roads that are similar. Loops are more entertaining for me rather than an out and back, but roads do look a lot different from the other direction. One advantage of an out and back is you can plan so you're not riding into the sun. Have fun and keep good notes. Your experience will be invaluable in planning a BBG1500. The more open western roads mean you don't have to do everything on the interstate to complete a BBG.

Top Bottom