low power and low vacuum

Bike
92 ST1100
I'm not sure I agree with this; are you mixing your units and talking cm Hg rather than inches? All the carb synch videos I've checked on Youtube show a level right around 10" or 25 cm Hg.
Yhat's inch vacuum figures I gave previously..........and actually tested myself from 5,000ft. elev. up thru 14,150ft. elev. using a high quality mechanical vacuum pump. Sea level in. vacuum is a given at 21in. vacuum;).

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
And to celebrate...260km of our finest local roads. Getting used to the handling and low end power, both are quite change after my VFR800 and VTR1000, as is the comfort level.

IMG_2448.jpg

OP
OP
Bike
ST1100
And to celebrate...260km of our finest local roads. Getting used to the handling and low end power, both are quite change after my VFR800 and VTR1000, as is the comfort level.

IMG_2448.jpg
Glad you found it on yours.

I did improve mine, but it still isn't right. I will check the connector you are talking about and see if it helps even more.
What I did find was corrosion inside the plug wire caps. Running the ohm test on the coils I found that I was getting over 80 ohms between the plug wires. pulled the caps and the reading in the wires themselves was right in the middle of the range.
Pulled the plug caps apart and the contacts inside, against the resistor, were corroded, cleaned them up and it runs much better. It still stagnates at about 6K rpm but seems to pull good up to there.
Still doesn't have the acceleration of my Intruder, with over 20 extra horses it should do much better than it does.

Last edited:
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Glad we're both making some progress Herb. I might look into my plug caps as well, although they appear to be OK from past resistance checks. I was definitely getting a low voltage to the ignition module, which I think was the corrosion in the red connector. I had my carbs out when I was looking at this, you will at least need the airbox out for access.

Last edited:

Paul

Happy Saturday!
Site Supporter
Bike
08 ST13 05 VStrom 1K
STOC #
Did you remove the wires from the coils and check the coil towers? I have found corrosion inside the coils also, on previous bikes.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Glad you found it on yours.

I did improve mine, but it still isn't right. I will check the connector you are talking about and see if it helps even more.
What I did find was corrosion inside the plug wire caps. Running the ohm test on the coils I found that I was getting over 80 ohms between the plug wires. pulled the caps and the reading in the wires themselves was right in the middle of the range.
Pulled the plug caps apart and the contacts inside, against the resistor, were corroded, cleaned them up and it runs much better. It still stagnates at about 6K rpm but seems to pull good up to there.
Still doesn't have the acceleration of my Intruder, with over 20 extra horses it should do much better than it does.
Remove the caps from the plugs on each side and try Ohming between the two caps on each side. The spec from the Honda Service Manual is ( 22.5K - 27.5K ) Ohms. For each cap alone the spec is ( 4.5K - 5.5K ) Ohms ( the value of that tiny resistor). I have had several caps that measured way, way above that. It turned out there was a bad connection inside the cap between the spring under the resistor and the "bottom" of the cap. I fixed the problem by wadding up some copper solder wick and jamming it into the "bottom" of the cap with the spring removed, of course.

But I have to also say, even with the bad caps, the bike ran fine, as far as I could tell. I also have replaced my old plug wires with some yellow silicon 7 mm solid core wire that I bought by the foot from my local auto parts store.

Last edited:
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I got back into the ignition system on my bike last night and pulled the coils and plug leads apart. The spade terminals on the coils were pretty dirty and the coil mounting bolts were a bit corroded. The plug lead to coil junction was pristine, as were the resistors in the plug cap. I took the opportunity to pull the other electrical cables out and clean them behind the steering head.

These weren't too bad to extract, with the airbox removed, there are three bolts and a two gold coloured brackets at the steering head that need to be removed, then all the parts can be slid out and up.

My bike is running better and better with this work done, and the voltage at the ICM has risen to 11.8 (from 11.15V originally).

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Did you Ohm out between the two plug caps on each side ??

And how did the connections look inside that big red connector that TerryS told us about ?

Top Bottom