Play in Heli Risers

Bike
'09 1300
STOC #
Is there suppose to be any play on 1300 handle bar risers? They seem like they wiggle more than they should. I thought I would ask before I try to figure out how to tighten them. They were installed when we purchased it.

Thanks,
Curtis

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The top bridge has rubber inserts around the bolts that secure the stock riser (Honda calls it a handle spacer). When we add Heli or other brand risers we increase the amount of leverage the bars place on the rubber mounts and it seems like they are looser but it is a natural consequence.

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
A little play is normal. When I installed them I thought the same, read some posts and left them alone. They've been on for almost nine years now, work great, and still wiggle a bit.

OP
OP
curtspivey
Bike
'09 1300
STOC #
Awesome I thought it might be something like that. The handlebars actually felt a little "rubbery" (no pun intended). It's just not a part you want to have break loose in the middle of a ride.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
I have seen several police motor's, as well as civilian models with aftermarket risers such as yours, develop a lot of "wiggle" or "slop" in the bars. A lot of folks seem to think "it's normal, they all do it". However, what I have found is that the rubber bushing tears, cracks, and starts opening up a gap between the collar and the rubber where it is pressed into the upper triple tree, this MAY be the wiggle that you are feeling. Yes, with the taller, further to the rear leverage, they will move more than the stock set up, but if you can move them up and down more than a little, you may want to check the bushing for damage. They can not be tightened, as they are a shouldered bolt, with a limited amount of threads, and trying to tighten them will do no good if they are starting to show signs of damage. The only repair (to actual damaged ones) is to remove the upper triple tree and replace it.

Bike
2007 ST1300
I installed a new Helibar riser this summer and thought the exact same thing after installing it. Not really a wiggle, but some flex when you pull up or down on the bars, which made it feel a bit less solid than stock. I was careful to torque the bolts to spec so I was not tempted to tighten them.

After riding all summer I can't say that I ever noticed the bars feeling any different while riding (other than feeling more comfortable while riding and somehow the bike feels sportier). All good in my book.

Top Bottom