Windshield Only Works In One Direction

Bike
ST 1300
Just wanted to give my .02 regarding my windshield problems. Hope it helps someone else.
On my morning commute to work, I lowered my windshield to get through traffic, (its SoCal here so I'm splitting). Once it traffic thinned and I sped up my windshield would not go up. Dang! A facefull of wind all the rest of the way in, and on the way home.
Started taking things apart. I knew I had power so first thing I checked were the relays. They were fine. I'm scratching my head and I decide to take a look at the upper limit switch. I remove it from the frame and see its just that a tiny switch that switches the power off when the windshield reaches its upper limit. It's so simple its brilliant. I spray some electric contact spray on it and then bingo, the windshield goes up. The switch was stuck closed and not sending power to the motor.
So if it helps anyone else, clean those switches and rails and a little grease for good measure.

slmjim

Hopeless Tool Junkie
Derby City - Home of The Louisville Slugger
Bike
Which one today...?
Good find, thanks for sharing.
Was the actuator stuck in position? That's the little lever or button on the external switch body that physically makes contact with the slider on the windshield rail. Or, do you think the internal contacts inside of the switch were stuck?
It's a good suggestion to grease the rails while you have access to them. The volatile components of grease evaporate with age, causing grease to become stiff and lose some of its lubricity.

Good Ridin'
slmjim

OP
OP
ASDstar
Bike
ST 1300
Slmjim
Not entirely sure what was stuck. My guess is it was the internal contact. The external switch is just thin piece of copper that when the windshield rises it and makes contact the copper piece pushes on the actuator. When I removed the switch, the copper piece was moving freely.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Bike
04 ST
STOC #
It's a good suggestion to grease the rails while you have access to them. The volatile components of grease evaporate with age, causing grease to become stiff and lose some of its lubricity.
I have seen grease get 'rubbery' quite quickly. What would you use for long lived lubrication ...perhaps moly paste?

Top Bottom