Rear end noise

Bike
2006 ST1300
So just finished replacing my steering head bearings and while doing some other maintenance specifically oil/filter and rear differential fluid change. Bike is on lift and on center stand. I clamped front wheel and started bike then shifted to first and let bike run to warm up both engine oil and rear differential fluid. I notice (both before and after rear fluid change) a knock or rattle from rear end seems to be loudest near the forward end of the final drive case. If I tip the throttle it seems to disappears. I haven't noticed any issues or noise while driving the bike at all.

KTD1911

R.I.P. - 2020/10/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
2018 can am spyderf3
as far as i know that shoud be a "no load" drive lash mine will make a slight noise if i run it in gear on center stand

OP
OP
STsam41
Bike
2006 ST1300
Kinda wondering if it's normal. It's not rhythmic-sort of sporadic but still constant. I was wondering if there's a throttle balance performed on these bikes. I have a carb tune somewhere that I've used to balance throttle plates on my brothers BMW R1100 RT but that's a twin. Is there a similar procedure for the ST?

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Some erratic noise is normal. The 1261cc V4 is a long bang motor with pause between cylinders 2 and 3 and 4 and 1 so the crankshaft is accelerating and decelerating slightly at idle and with no load on the drive train it manifests some noise through gear lash. If you drag a little rear brake does the noise go away? If the noise is constant or doesn't go away with a slight load I would look further.

There is a throttle body synch procedure that can be done but the Honda V4 is a much different from the boxer in how this affects performance. The Honda's only affects idle and off-idle speed while the R1100s can affect performance across it's entire rev range.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
It is likely normal--there's a lot of parts that mesh and have slight clearances, therefore noticeable backlash with the drivetrain unloaded like that. Drag rear brake to verify it greatly diminishes.

OP
OP
STsam41
Bike
2006 ST1300
Some erratic noise is normal. The 1261cc V4 is a long bang motor with pause between cylinders 2 and 3 and 4 and 1 so the crankshaft is accelerating and decelerating slightly at idle and with no load on the drive train it manifests some noise through gear lash. If you drag a little rear brake does the noise go away? If the noise is constant or doesn't go away with a slight load I would look further.

There is a throttle body synch procedure that can be done but the Honda V4 is a much different from the boxer in how this affects performance. The Honda's only affects idle and off-idle speed while the R1100s can affect performance across it's entire rev range.
I will check regarding the brake load but I'm guessing that it will make the noise go away. I do believe the throttle sync will alter this somewhat and the problem only exists at idle as far as I can tell. I found the sync in the maintenance manual and an old post with pics online so going to try that. I will post results.
thanks

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Also check the twin bearings inside the driven flange. These can go bad with no other symptoms except some clunking/rattling noise when idling in gear. I can't believe I forgot that in the earlier post. Mine were bad at 96,000 miles but many owners replaced them much earlier. Honda P/N 91052-KZ4-J21 or aftermarket 6905RS.

OP
OP
STsam41
Bike
2006 ST1300
Well just confirmed that noise does go away dragging rear brake or during high idle. Mines an '06 with only about 35,000 on the clock.

Top Bottom