You won't be impressed ...

Bike
No bike
STOC #
This won't impress any one around here but I took the longest one day ride of my life today, 253 miles. Not so much when compared to the LD riders that frequent this site but for me it's a good start. I bought my ST this winter with the intent of doing some distance / excursion riding and I think today was step in the right direction.

- Some things I learned on this "long" ride -

1 - My butt hurts
2 - My back hurts
3 - Wind sucks
4 - Semi's suck
5 - Enjoying the landscape and new towns was awesome!
6 - I enjoy doing this even more than expected!
7 - Looking forward to my first bike / camping trip!

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Congrats to you on your longest ride...
I spoke to a LD rider years ago and his words of wisdom rings in my head many times... If you want to ride longer trips. Fix the first thing that hurts on your rides... Take a few more rides and take notes... What was the first pain the made you get off the bike and stretch to relieve the pain... Now fix it. If its your butt, then look for a different seat of modify the one you have. Back pain? Maybe bar risers. Etc.
It worked for me.. I have mine set up so I can sit and ride from full tank to empty a few times a day.. Took almost two full years of trial and error to get it this way.. But I like it and its mine...

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Good start Jethro!

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
Good first ride! Play around with the seat height front and back, maybe bar risers in the future if you like to sit up more.
Stretch back, arms shoulders legs before you ride. A back support works great for me on multi day rides. Camping and riding or riding and camping is lots of fun!:). Enjoy your ST this summer!

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Excellent start! :)

Don't spend money 1st though...
Change your posture.
Adjust the seat so that it is on the 2nd level in the front and 1 level in the back so you don't slide forward.
Sit up straight, relax your elbows and shoulders.
When passing a semi hold tight on the off hand (rather than use a death grip which will cause you to weave (like I did!)).
Let some wind hit your helmet.
Wear ear plugs.

Good luck!

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Like anything, you got to get your body used to it. But, you have to fix those things Guy told you about too. The stock seats are HORRIBLE! Also, you might need risers so you aren't bent over so much.

But look at the saddle first. RDL seem to be a little taller than stock, so if you were to pick up one, the risers you picked now don't work. If you get my meaning!

Also, when I see wind or Big Trucks, I put the windshield all the way down. I don't get blown around as much.

Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #
Like anything, you got to get your body used to it. But, you have to fix those things Guy told you about too. The stock seats are HORRIBLE! Also, you might need risers so you aren't bent over so much.

But look at the saddle first. RDL seem to be a little taller than stock, so if you were to pick up one, the risers you picked now don't work. If you get my meaning!

Also, when I see wind or Big Trucks, I put the windshield all the way down. I don't get blown around as much.
Agree 100% . And when you pass a semi do not linger in the wake zone. I never pass slowly next to a semi. Get around them quickly, other things bad can happen besides bad wind.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
You have just one person to impress, yourself... no one just jumps on the bike and does 1000 miles, it's a process and you learn a little every time you take the bike out and many will make changes that allow them to ride a little longer and further.

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
"6 - I enjoy doing this even more than expected!"

Its pretty addictive isn't it? ...and the country seems to shrink as you increase your mileage. More things to see and people to visit within a day ride. Good for you!

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Come on over to CampSTOC next month! You can up your mileage and start coloring in your map. (By the way, you should know that your map inspired me to finally create my own. Thanks!)

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I just completed 600 miles in about 11 hours when I transported the NJ ST to South Carolina last week. The first 233 miles (at the first stop) wasn't bad, then between 233 and 413 miles, I was hurting pretty well. Motrin definitely helped, and the last leg wasn't too bad. I likely won't be riding that much in a short period of time, but I was glad that I pulled it off.

Ear plugs are a necessity.
Highway pegs are very nice to have along with a better seat than OEM and a sheepskin pad. Heli bars helped tremendously. If it wasn't for these farkels, 600 miles would have been a lot more painful.

Last edited:

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Everyone is different but all the above advice is right and good. You have to figure out your priorities. Once I switched to a RDL seat 1000 mile days were no problem. But the RDL doesn't work for everyone go to a couple of ST events and look at others farkles maybe try out some other seats before you spend any money on one. The stock seat is HORRIBLE as has already been said but there are people who don't mind them. You have CampSTOC coming up and Ohio STOC check them out you will see many different ideas.

Bike
2015 FJR1300A
This won't impress any one around here but I took the longest one day ride of my life today, 253 miles. Not so much when compared to the LD riders that frequent this site but for me it's a good start. I bought my ST this winter with the intent of doing some distance / excursion riding and I think today was step in the right direction.

- Some things I learned on this "long" ride -

1 - My butt hurts
2 - My back hurts
3 - Wind sucks
4 - Semi's suck
5 - Enjoying the landscape and new towns was awesome!
6 - I enjoy doing this even more than expected!
I have to agree with all the above, but here is why I'm replying...
When I started riding 2 wheels....only 6 years ago ( when 52), I did it for what folks say was the wrong reason....economical commuter ( vs. Durango...50 miles/day to work).
That sets up what has become my reality....well said by my wife ( who is usually glad when I go out to ride)...when I choose riding vs. doing a chore in a timely manner :

" I didn't know you're desire to save gas was going to turn into a passion" !

And so it began and sounds like you're heading in the same direction. ENJOY the ride ( and do the chores eventually!)

p.s. not sure of your plans,but look at the OH-SToc thread. Even if for a day....well worth checking it out.

Top Bottom