Rear turn Signal - Red/Amber switchback Led mod - ST1300

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
spiderman302 said:
That would give you both hyper flash by push button and regular flash with the OEM turn signal switch...
IF you decide to go that route sharing a wiring diagram would be much appreciated!

As for the extended brakelight I'm leaning towards no markers for the directionals for the same reason. It would also match my GRowe 3rd Brakelight in look and function.

Bike
2009 ST 1300
I received my yellow to red LED switchback bulbs in the mail today. Then I spent about an hour doing this mod. And I must say thanks to Spiderman302 for this information. It is awesome glad I took the time to read this thread and take on this mod thanks again. sabrekip

OP
OP
spiderman302
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Here is the wiring diagram for the hyper flash mod. keeps the led slow flash through the normal turn signal with the updated LED flasher relay.
Wire the original hyper flasher through separate momentary (NO) [normally open] push buttons on the handlebars, left on left and right on right [duh]
Sorry had to say it.... no extra fuse needed since power comes thru a fused circuit. Fuse F on ST1300A.

HyperflashSW4.jpg

Push them both at the same time you will get hyper flash Hazard lights....

Again this was suggested to be used when you are splitting lanes or making "quick" lane changes where the regular flasher would only flash once or twice and you are done that is you only moved a few feet across the line from one lane to the other.

Last edited:

Steve398

... another retired Black Rat.
Bike
2018 BMW R1200RT LC
I'd love to see the video of the brakelight/indicator mod Spidey! You have me intrigued... I've got the front switchbacks (superb) and will also do the hazard lights mod soon, despite promising my wife that I won't do any more farkles on the bike!

OP
OP
spiderman302
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
This is the best I can do - but the additional brake light mod is the best one to do from a safety point of view...

Tail light
tail1.jpg

turn amber
tail2.jpg

brake red
tail3.jpg

hope it helps

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Steve398 said:
despite promising my wife that I won't do any more farkles on the bike!
As farkles go both of these are dirt cheap. The SB brake light mod is a definite improvement in safety and isn't about being a cool mod (though it definitely is!).

I don't know how many riders have used their hazard lights for an extended time but that mod is useful and could be a big improvement in safety.

And the hyper-flash quick lane change mod could also be very useful and utilizes your old flasher assuming you didn't toss it when you (presumably) upgraded it for the front SBs. Just add a couple of inexpensive momentary pushbuttons.

You could do these without her even knowing and then tell her about it later if she ever notices it. "Oh yeah didn't I mention that?" Easier to [-]ask[/-] beg forgiveness etc.

None of these would put the slightest dent in your weekly allowance. :D

Steve398

... another retired Black Rat.
Bike
2018 BMW R1200RT LC
The hazard mod is a definite and will be done asap.

The rear indicator.brake light would be as well if I could find a clear rear indicator set up for the rear light lens... Blame my OCD :eek:: Although I may just have to do it anyway....

The brake light within the indicator does look a bit 'orange-y' in the photo though, is that just a camera thing or is it like that in real life? Our annual Ministry of Transport Tests can be a bit heavy in the UK and I'm not too sure how they'd take an orange brake light.

OP
OP
spiderman302
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Yes the pictures were taken during the day time so there is some external light that makes them look orange, at night you will only see red since the leds are "pure" red and you will not see any of the orange. Maybe someone will make clear replacements like they did the front....

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Spiderman, Thanks for this mod suggestion. I got the switchbacks installed in the amber turn signals and WOW the brake light looks great. Is there a LED option that you are using in the tail/brake light?

Jeff

OP
OP
spiderman302
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
I am using a red 60 led 7443 tower bulb that is 5 years old. you can find these on ebay or amazon. I just bought some JDM Astar 2x "50W" bulbs (2.75 watts measured) that have a black aluminum body with fewer but higher power leds. I have not yet installed them.

the original 7443 bulb is 21 / 5 watts and emits about 440 lumens of white light. The lumens drops a lot depending on the density of the red lens (maybe down to 100 - 20 lumens) [I have not tested this lately] So a 1 watt red led would be roughly equivalent. So look for 2 to 5 watts to be brighter....

Now brighter is not better rather bigger (and more) is better. In the gloom of night we start judging distance by the size of things. When we look at the back of a car, it is how far apart the tail lights are that we use to judge distance. A motorcycle has a great disadvantage in that we are a single point of red light. If it is real bright but tiny, the guy behind you might think you are further away than you are....

So I have Red oval plastic red reflectors on the outside edges of my saddle bags as well as two red marker lights on the outside back edges of my rear crash bars to give the guy behind me a large double red triangle to help him judge his distance from me. Making the brake light twice as big (with this mod) is a very important improvement.

I also have a LIN-6 third brake light which I preferred over the TIR-3 and the hyperbrights because it is bigger! I run it at 50% power (4.8 watts) and the LIN-6 makes a wider beam so It is really less bright than the TIR-3.

Look at some of the new cars that are now on the road. When they hit their brakes their entire back end lights up. It really gets your attention.

Also note that many new cars have extra low mounted red reflectors. This creates a rectangle (with the tali lights) which gives you another dimension to judge distance with. They are also low because that's where your low beam is.....

Size and number matters.

Enjoy the ride.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
It looks like it should work. Probably not legal in any state in the US. As I read the ad copy it looks like it flashes three times then stays on steady for the remainder of one minute and repeats every minute. I'd guess that for the most part this would keep you under any award-generating radar.

At 3W it could be pretty bright. I wonder how bright it is in tail light mode. Looking at the bulb in comparison to the 194 next to it the LED elements seem to be located at the very front (face and periphery) much farther away from the reflector than the 360? light of the 194. This might make for 'dim housing/bright hot spot' that we see on a lot of tail light LEDs.

I have a couple of LED 7443s from SBLED that look like:

Can't find my pics of them in the ST but even with a larger peripheral surface area I still got the 'dim housing/bright hot spot' effect. At the time there were only white bulbs so the red version of these might be brighter.

OP
OP
spiderman302
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
This one mod, turning the rear turn signals in to additional brake lights, is one of the best things that I have done to my bike using red/amber switchback leds....

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
This one mod, turning the rear turn signals in to additional brake lights, is one of the best things that I have done to my bike using red/amber switchback leds....
Hi Spiderman302, great thread.
This thread is over 2 years old, and two days ago you said you still love it, that's great to hear.
Having that time to reflect (lol) on what you did, parts you used and parts replaced, how would you do it now?
Obviously I ask because I plan on doing the same. The bulbs you used come back
I have the single red LEDs and a small drill, so I can go that way. But the SB's seem like the better way to me.
How would you do this today?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Top Bottom