Denray hitch on an ST1300?

Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
I read the hitch tread on an ST1100 posted a little lower down. Seems Denray wasn't really fitted for the ST1100 in 2013?
Has anyone here had experience with the Denray hitch for ST1300's?
I'm trying to carry too much! Gotta look at a cargo or tent trailer in the next couple of years and want to get ready for that with a hitch.
I was looking at the Denray as it is made in Canada.
thanks for any advice
Jim

Bike
2005 ST1300
Just put one on my 05, really poor fit, a bugger to get the top brackets on, and the bottom bracket impinged on the right muffler. I then changed to Two Brothers slip ons, fixed the fit issue but now too loud....

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #
A friend has the Denray on his 1300... Used a spacer on the right side for a little more clearance. Tows a bunkhouse with no problems...

ScubaDave

Site Supporter
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
I cant say anything on the Denray, but I put a unigo on my 1300 a couple of weeks ago. It fit right up. Had one on my old 1300 and towed over 10,000 miles with no issues..

Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I've also just ordered a Denray hitch. Uni-Go couldn't provide a hitch for my ST1300....FOR OVER SIX WEEKS. Even then....no promise. I'll have it by Monday and will install then. I'll try to post up some photos and opinion.

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #
My Denray arrived last night, an hour before I got home with the bunkhouse...lol. The install will have to wait until I get home from my current work trip :(

Bike
2005 ST1300
Put one on my 05 st last year for a 6500 mile trip out west from Michigan last year. Hide Ray hitch worked as good as it could. Used a standard ball also with no problems.

Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I installed the Denray, 1st on my '07 and then on my '09. The hitch that I received was well built....BUT....they've welded the support arms that bolt on to the muffler hangers....in the wrong location. Result...the hitch ball center is 1 inch left of center of the bike. It was the same on both bikes. Denray's solution.....secure the bike and use a pry bar to center. That....doesn't really work. LOL
I called them and they said....that's the way it is, you don't like it, return it (at my expense) and they will refund the price of the hitch. They were nice about it. LOL

So, I'm working on solutions. The geometry of the hitch frame is good...it's just where they welded the mounting brackets that screws up the install. The hitch is nicely powder coated and if I hire someone to move the mounting brackets, to really fix the problem correctly...it's going to screw up that powder coat. :-(

I'm using this on a Uni-Go, so it's pretty critical to have the alignment right on the mark. You don't use a ball with the Uni-Go, you have an adapter receiver that you secure to the hitch using the ball hole on the hitch.

I'm working on it.... LOL I'll let you know what I end up doing.

Last edited:
A friend has the Denray on his 1300... Used a spacer on the right side for a little more clearance. Tows a bunkhouse with no problems...
Which model of Denray hitch worked on the ST1300? I have a 2007 and would like to get a unigo or something similar. Checked their website and ST1300 search yielded nothing.
Thanks!

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Which model of Denray hitch worked on the ST1300? I have a 2007 and would like to get a unigo or something similar. Checked their website and ST1300 search yielded nothing.
Thanks!
For 2004 and later ST1300;
SKU: 2-#159-1

For 2002 & 2003 ST1300;
SKU: 2-#159

Anyone know what is different between the different year ST1300's?
Off the top of my head nothing comes to mind that is different on the motorcycle that would require a difference in the hitch.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I'll second Andrew's question. Does anyone know the difference between the 2 models?

I just bought a used Denray hitch for my 2003. No idea which of the models it is.

It doesn't have the upper frame hangers so I'll have to make some and buy some bolts. It only came with the lower part of the hangers and the hitch itself.
I did a dry fit last night and the lower part of the hangers don't line up well where the holes are in the fender. I may need to just bend the hangers some for fit.

Does anyone have a copy of the instructions that came with theirs they'd be willing to share? I've looked online without any luck. It seems straight forward (1 longer bolt per muffler that I need to purchase for the hitch, the one small bolt to attach the lower hanger to the hitch and one small bolt to attach the top hanger to the lower hanger.) I've also watched @Jim C-G 's video on how he installed his.

OP
OP
Jim C-G
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
Does anyone have a copy of the instructions that came with theirs they'd be willing to share?
I don't throw everything out but that doesn't mean I can find it. Will take a look this week as I am in the garage for a few hours later on. If I remember correctly, the instuctions were pretty rudimentary. The top hanger does just that, hangs on the frame under the seat. The bolt holding the lower hanger portion goes through where the fender bolt was. Check these bolts at least once a year, I had one that was loose. Also just an honest note, I broke my hitch. Now Denray guarentee it to a 50 lb. tongue weight and I thought I was putting 60-62 lb. on it but may have had a bad scale and really had 75-77 lb. on it. I've also abused it on some really bumpy roads. It's welded up now and probably stronger than new and I've hauled the Mini Mate around 1500 km. after the fix with no problems. I can't remember what model it was, but I bought it for a 2005 and it fit fairly easily. Here is the video on finding the problem and getting it fixed.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Thanks Jim. I watched your above video back when it came out (lol not that long ago) :)

Hopefully someone will know the answer to the "what's different on the bike from 2004 onward."

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Hopefully someone will know the answer to the "what's different on the bike from 2004 onward."
Well, you bringing this up again has peaked my curiosity, so I have contacted them to ask them what the difference is. I have also asked them for a copy of the installation instructions. If they respond, I will forward them to you.

If the weather wasn't so crappy here, it would be a good excuse to go for a ride and ask them. Denray is about a three hour ride from me.

Reactions: Obo

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Did you watch the original installation? May have more info... been a couple of years and I don't remember everything lol.
Yup. Watch almost all your videos even the "old guy with a drone" ones lol. You're the real deal. No fraud! ;)

Top Bottom