Brakes ugh....

Bike
2000 ST1100
STOC #
Started out replacing the brakes on my 2000 ST1100 non ABS. Front right came apart easy but something was "off" when I was trying to slide the pads in. On closer inspection the caliper mounting bracket had broke. Called the local dealership and ordered a new bracket. Plan B, I ride a lot of miles so I was going to do the back brake too. Last time they were done was in Moncton when I had a rear tire put on two years ago. The head of the retaining pin was stripped and the darn thing was in there tight. Tried to tap a Torx in, which has worked in the past, and it wouldn't budge it, made it worse even. Ended up taking the caliper off, using an extractor and heat on it to get it off and then putting it back together. New retaining pin will be in with the mounting bracket tomorrow. Try and get it back together tomorrow after work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
tmills
Bike
2000 ST1100
STOC #
Sorry couldn't get pics to load the other day here it is. It happened sometime when we were doing the Cabot Trail. Drove it three hours to home and just noted it when I went to change the front pads.

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
At one point in time or maybe for a while, did your brakes "chatter" or vibrate? Looks like a fatigue fracture to me. It's possible there was some event that initiated the process and stress took it's toll.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Dang! Makes me wonder what else might have been "tweaked." It wasn't missing one of the mounting bolts, was it?

Thanks for the picture... chilling.

John

OP
OP
tmills
Bike
2000 ST1100
STOC #
No chattering I did have some brake fade but I also knew my pads were down. No pulling no nothing.

Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
That, sir, is the result of a seized slider pin. Either while trying to remove the caliper, or possibly while braking, I've seen it happen.

OP
OP
tmills
Bike
2000 ST1100
STOC #
Must have been while riding my first attempt at brakes was fixing the problem. Now I have the back apart and can't get it back together any tips

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Can you be more specific? What can you not do? Pucks retracted? Pads into caliper? Slider pins through pads? Caliper over rotor? Caliper on axle? Stopper pin into caliper hole? Stopper pin not threading into hole? Axle through spacer, caliper, wheel, swing arm? Wheel onto spline?

OP
OP
tmills
Bike
2000 ST1100
STOC #
The bolt pin seems to thread in easy and thread in hard so I'm not sure but I think that I should replace it rather then force it and the metal slider won't stay in place. Just being a bugger overall

Top Bottom