There's a Black Hole under my seat!

Bike
'09 1300
STOC #
I was installing my new Givi mounting plate and dropped a nut into another dimension. It slipped out of my hand and fell somewhere into the dark recesses of the rear cowl. I pulled the rear fender thinking maybe it fell in that area. No luck. There has to be some hidden nook that I've missed. I know, sure as heck, it will start bouncing around and drive me insane!

Bike
2008 Goldwing GL1800
It could rolled forward to just under the tool kit area or rolled toward the back where the 2 computers strapped together. It could be just sitting on the top of the wiring loom to the computers. I dropped my Givi nut there once too. I think it was 17mm. It didn't go far. To take the back end apart, you will have to remove the grab bars and so on.
Kenny

Bike
2010 ST1300
Forget it. Go to Hopot and buy a new metric nut. There is nothing critical back there that it can jam (like dropping a nut down into the engine with the valve covers off), and if it doesn't rattle, no matter. The only thing that I would check might be the relay area and battery but it sounds to me like you were nowhere near these items.

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
If I recall correctly, I think there is a little ledge just under the plate on the front edge of the rear cowl. I've dropped a nut there before.
Bill

Byron

STOC #
Believe it or not the ST1300 has more than one black hole, don't ask me how I know. :rolleyes:

The funny, well sort of, thing is that sometimes the missing parts will magically reappear at the most unexpected time.

OP
OP
curtspivey
Bike
'09 1300
STOC #
Forget it. Go to Hopot and buy a new metric nut. There is nothing critical back there that it can jam (like dropping a nut down into the engine with the valve covers off), and if it doesn't rattle, no matter. The only thing that I would check might be the relay area and battery but it sounds to me like you were nowhere near these items.
I did end up going to Home Depot. I actually bought 2 of the nuts. I figured what's the odds of dropping 3 of them? And no I didn't drop the other 2. I ran a magnetic pickup tool with a light on the head into every little nook and cranny. Nada. I thought about pulling the computer module but it looked tight and awkward. I was expecting "Murphys refund policy." You know the one. It's when you replace something and immediately you find the original item that you had spent hours looking for. Anyway, thanks for the input.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I was installing a Honda Topbox (Byron was helping) and one of the nuts disappeared. We both looked for 30 minutes and couldn't find it anywhere. Then Byron found it sitting in a little cove under the plastic, up on the frame, not far from where the nut was connected to the bolt. Since then, I have dropped a couple of nuts there when either mounting topboxes or removing them. So that's the first place I look anymore!

Bike
R1200rt
Believe it or not the ST1300 has more than one black hole, don't ask me how I know. :rolleyes:

The funny, well sort of, thing is that sometimes the missing parts will magically reappear at the most unexpected time.
quick, CALL Carl Sagan

Top Bottom