Steering head bearing replacement

Bike
2015 Can Am Spyder R
STOC #
Anybody have any idea what the cost should be for a bike mechanic to change the steering head bearing on a 2000 ST1100ABS? My guy quoted me around $300.00 with tapered bearings. From looking at several posts, I don't think it's something I want to attempt, and they are not bad enough for me to notice anything. Suggestions?

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Anybody have any idea what the cost should be for a bike mechanic to change the steering head bearing on a 2000 ST1100ABS? My guy quoted me around $300.00 with tapered bearings. From looking at several posts, I don't think it's something I want to attempt, and they are not bad enough for me to notice anything. Suggestions?
Reasonable price, if done right. CBR tapered bearings and seals alone will cost $69. Not a fun job but you can do it. My ST1100 needed new SHBs at 80k.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
If you don't notice anything with your steering, then as Vinny says . . . "if it ain't broke . . . " . However, what you CAN do that is relatively easy, is dismantle the steering and clean and lube and PROPERLY re-torque those bearings. Both the upper and lower bearings innards (the balls) are easy to access, without needing any special tools. If you can take the forks off, you can do this too. Having the service manual will guide you in proper torquing of the bearings on re-assembly.

If you get in there and see that the races are indeed badly pitted or scored, then you might want to consider replacement at some point.

I have always believed that the majority of these ball bearings suffered an early demise due to inattention to the requirement to have the bearing torque rechecked within 1,000 miles of first use. I'm sure most dealers doing a 1,000 mile inspection would have skipped this in the interests of saving time on the service. I performed this initial service on my previous '95 model, which I bought new. Ten years later, after 120,000 km., I took it all apart, found no indentation in the races at all, cleaned and lubed the bearings and then sold the bike another 10 years later, with 175,000 km, still on the OEM bearings, still showing no sign of notchiness.

The "96 I have now came to me in 2014 with just 72,000 km and I stripped it down for a thorough going over. The steering bearings were in fine shape, so they got the cleaning, lubing and re-torquing and I don't expect to ever need to change them, for as long as I might own the machine.

I mis-spoke about not needing any special tools. You could disassemble the steering stem without it, but the job does require one special Honda tool, used in conjunction with the torque wrench to torque the steering stem adjustment nut upon reassembly. I'm sure there is a loaner tool out there somewhere that passes around, just like the 40 amp upgrade kit. Or you could buy one from Honda.

Last edited:
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I would expect a competent mechanic would take a couple of hours to do steering head bearings, given the time required to dismantle and then reassemble the front end, and do the bearing change, so $300 with parts sounds reasonable to me.

As to whether you need to replace the bearings, I would only do so if the existing races are dented. With the front end elevated, the steering should glide smoothly from side to side. If there is a pronounced clunk as it passes through dead-centre, then new bearings are needed.

I did my own bearings a week back and probably took twice as long because I don't have the proper bearing extractor or presses, and I took time out to clean and repaint a few parts along the way. My races were dented, and had no grease at all (90,000 km).

OP
OP
davehirst
Bike
2015 Can Am Spyder R
STOC #
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll just leave them for now, as I don't notice any problem with them. The mechanic seemed to think they should be replaced if I am planning on keeping the bike. I have toyed with the Can Am, but at this point, it's not in the immediate future. Thanks again.

Wow that sounds good! Just got new tires done and the rear end lubed. I been thinking my 94 head bearings were going and they confirmed it.
He quoted approx. $55 for the tapered bearings but about 5 hours of work...

I'm going to buy the recommended CBR kit and wait till Fall. I signed up for the Motorcycle Service Tech course at the local community college and will take care of it then myself.

Last edited:
Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Wow that sounds good! Just got new tires done and the rear end lubed. I been thinking my 94 head bearings were going and they confirmed it.
He quoted approx. $55 for the tapered bearings but about 5 hours of work...
5 hours of work for that job, with the proper tools that a pro would have available? If you go with that guy you'd need to have your rear end lubed, if you know what I mean.

5 hours of work for that job, with the proper tools that a pro would have available? If you go with that guy you'd need to have your rear end lubed, if you know what I mean.
LOL, he came highly recommended, I only went with him because I needed the tires changed and the rear end lubed.

Even without his high estimate, there's time for me to wait and do it myself as part of my curriculum in fall.

Top Bottom