Coolant reservoir

Steve398

... another retired Black Rat.
Bike
2018 BMW R1200RT LC
This year I had a new water pump fitted as there was coolant dripping out onto the garage floor, and this appears to have solved the problem.

However I had been attempting to check it once a week at home, or more often on tour, but it's a devil of a job to see the fluid level either from the top, via the little service hatch thing on the fairing, or by removing the sidepod, because the metalwork gets in the way. Plus the damn liquid is pale blue, which doesn't show up well on a white opaque bottle.

So, and the reason for the post, I wondered if I could find a car washer bottle lid which has a plastic dip-stick attached that would fit the reservoir bottle... then it would just be a matter of removing said lid and inspecting the dip-stick.

What do you reckon, or don't you bother to check the coolant level?

MODS - I didn't know which section to put this in so please feel free to move it! :)

Last edited:
Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I know what you are saying,,, as I recently started monitoring my own coolant levels more closely. I found there is a ledge inside the bottle that coresponds with the "upper" mark. I use an inexpensive red colored squeeze bulb to fill and check the level. Not ideal,,, but it beats taking the fairing off !! Cat'

OP
OP
Steve398

Steve398

... another retired Black Rat.
Bike
2018 BMW R1200RT LC
I think that the problem may be that a car washer bottle lid is likely to be too large for the Pan, however, I was checking on Google and found that one of the manufacturers have a plastic tube set into the lid, so when you want to check the level you put your finger over the end of the tube, then when you withdraw it you can see the coolant level in the tube. Eureka!

It shouldn't be that hard to do... even for me ;)
Am I right in assuming that the reservoir isn't pressurised? I can't see that with the little rubber cap on it's likely to be, but I have been wrong before!

I've just found some windscreen washer tubing, so I'll go have a play to see how long it'll have to be to get to the minimum mark and how far up the tube it'll be at full. I suppose I could just use the tube on its own without fixing it to the cap...

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
The coolant bottle has to be vented to allow expansion/contraction. So you could put s better top on, but since it breathes in and out the coolant overflow hose each time it heats up and cools down I don't see a gain.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I wonder if the flimsy Tupperware top on the coolant bottle allows coolant to evaporate

is there a better option for that??????????
drain some coolant into a jar and see how fast it evaporates, but don't let your dog lick it. It doesn't evaporate anywhere near as fast as plain water. As T_C says, its vented for a reason, so the bottle is sealed as well as is practically possible anyway. Mine goes for many months without any significant level changes.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
The small rubber cap on the coolant bottle is not that hard to use,, and yes the bottle is vented to allow changes in level to occur. Also,,, a small led flashlight that I have, allows me to see that the coolant level is up to the moulded ledge, which indicates the upper level line. Evaporation is negligible,, and loose clamps or pump seepage will dissipate coolant much faster. The red rubber squeeze bulb I use effectively and quickly allows me to add coolant right up to the ledge,, much more easily than pouring coolant in with a funnel. I think it cost $3,,, Cat'

Top Bottom