Low Fuel Inicator Issue Pan 1300

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I've put 7.43 gallons in after pushing the bike to the nearest gas station. YMMV!
LOL! Something I'd never want to do again. In the other direction. Early I broke my factory key trying to get the gas cap open. I still had three bars but wanted to fill up. I had to push the ST about two blocks back to work and call a buddy with a spare key.

Now I have Ilco keys and always carry a spare. And keep my tire AP at 42 as much as possible!

Bike
2010 st1300abs
I have always just calculated what my average MPG is based on how much fuel added and miles driven, then pick a conservative number of miles I can expect to get out of a tank while leaving a respectable reserve. I then reset my odometer at each fill up and try not to drive much beyond my chosen number of miles before filling up again. Regardless of what the fuel gage says, I have never run out of fuel this way. Too many variables exist in motorcycle fuel systems to make a fuel gage anything more than a rough estimate, in my opinion.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
calculated what my average MPG is ... fuel added and miles driven ... pick a conservative number of miles ... to get out of a tank ... leaving a respectable reserve ... reset my odometer at each fill up and try not to drive much beyond my chosen number
With all due respect... huh?? :eek:

You do this math and then you think there are too many variables in a float style sensor that has a backup thermistor?
The biggest variable for me is remembering to reset the odometer and then also trying to remember the number you are aiming for.
Old dude settling in.

My mind is like an iceberg and every thought is a penguin. The iceberg is currently full. If a new penguin gets on another gets off. The penguin knowing the mileage I can expect will have jumped ship a long time before I get there. Blinking light on dash gauge... I can do that. :cool:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #

My mind is like an iceberg and every thought is a penguin. The iceberg is currently full. If a new penguin gets on another gets off. The penguin knowing the mileage I can expect will have jumped ship a long time before I get there. Blinking light on dash gauge... I can do that. :cool:
Some pretty COLD thoughts there T_C!

I usually fill up everyday, that's about 125 to 140 miles each day. The 140 is if I go out for lunch. If I have to, I can squeeze out two days of commuting (about 250 miles, if I didn't go out for lunch either of those days).

I watch the mileage, anywhere from 235 to 245 (sometimes make it up to 250) when the flashing starts on the gauge. At that point, it says I have about 50 miles before being out. I make sure I'm gassing up before it hits 25 miles to go.

Bike
2010 st1300abs
Not as difficult as you make it out to be. If I am averaving 40 MPG, that gives just over 300 miles to empty. I just don't drive farther than 250 miles before re-fueling. Not exactly rocket science or even nuclear physics!:nuts1::nuts1::bk13:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
T_C said:
If a new penguin gets on another gets off. The penguin knowing the mileage I can expect will have jumped ship a long time before I get there. Blinking light on dash gauge... I can do that.
:rofl1:

Bike
2004 ST1300
I try to push the limits of fuel range the first few tanks of any new vehicle I get. Find out how far into "empty" it will take you for future reference because there is a lot of miles between fuel opportunities some places I may go. Not much value in having a lot of capacity or range if you refill it way before it needs it.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
jettawreck said:
Not much value in having a lot of capacity or range if you refill it way before it needs it.
There isn't much value in running the capacity to near dregs if you don't need to. The value is in having that capacity when you can't fill it before you need to. It's a form of insurance.

If you typically ride for 250/300mi ± without stopping or just hate getting gas that would have some value for some people.

I fill up at three bars because when a buddy says 'Hey, you busy— let's go to Alice's for lunch!' I don't want to be that guy who says 'Sure but I gotta fuel up first'. It's there whenever I need it or if I don't. That's valuable to me. I've only been Bingo-Fuel once and didn't like it at all.

Hi.. this is my first post. Looks like I’m in very knowledgeable company here so fingers crossed.
I test rode a 2014 ST1300 yesterday. When I took it it had 2 bars. I drove about 3 miles onto the motorway. After driving another mile it started to cut out and judder. It felt like it was running out of fuel and as I pulled over I saw that 1 bar was flashing. It then died completely. The garage drove out to me and put 2 gallons in which took it up to 2bars which didn’t seem right. They said they’d repair it for me but I’m a little worried. What is meant to happen with the gauge please?

Top Bottom