Cmp alternator and swingarm trouble

Bike
Honda ST1100
Hi
I have a 1994 st1100 . Which I have to replace the alternator. I can only find a 28 amp . Which I'm waiting for now to install.
What I want to found out is can I remove the swing arm with out have to take apart the drive on the back of the swingarm that drive the back wheel . I thought I maybe able to remove the swingarm bolt then just pile the universe off the drive shalt.
Or will I hand to break it down removing the 4 bolts that hold the rear drive on

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
There are several 'how to' threads on this site that cover alternator replacement, and an upgrade to the later 40 amp alternator. Just search on 'alternator replacement' in the search box.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
You do have to pull off the "pumpkin" first, before removing the swingarm, because you have to pull the driveshaft rearward, once the pumpkin is off, in order uncouple the u-joint from the output shaft and then you can get the swing arm off. There is not enough clearance at the output shaft to get the swingarm off if the u-joint is still attached.

OP
OP
Bike
Honda ST1100
Hi I pick up an old 28 amp , it's almost impossible to find an alternator at all. I don't know where you can get the 40 amp upgrade for the bike. I looked everywhere NG . Any ideas

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Hi I pick up an old 28 amp , it's almost impossible to find an alternator at all. I don't know where you can get the 40 amp upgrade for the bike. I looked everywhere NG . Any ideas
I got lucky and found a 28 amp unit back in December. From a 1991 wreck with just 5000 plus miles on it that was stored inside. The stator has no obvious damage...looks clean Resistance measurements are fine. BUT...I haven't found anyone to do a dynamic check for me. Functional 28's are difficult to find. I'm a bit OCD about keeping my bikes stock so I had to get a proper spare.

40 amp units are still available new. Check Ron Ayers, Bike Bandit, Partzilla, etc. Occasionally they pop up on Ebay in various conditions and low to very high mileage.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Do you mean you can't find a 40 amp unit, or you don't know how to do the upgrade? Oldbikefixr has supplied the former and if you look at the recent 1991 ST 40 amp upgrade thread, you will find info on how to do it.

Top Bottom