1994 ST1100 needs new tires - anyone running knobbies?

I hear good things and saw a mention of Shinkos in one thread but did not see the standard tire sizes.

All opinions on running knobbies and suggested alternate sizes welcome.

Thanks all!

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
I believe the reference to Shinko 705s was in relation to a Wee Strom.....STs make crappy dirt bikes...........ff

OP
OP
I believe the reference to Shinko 705s was in relation to a Wee Strom.....STs make crappy dirt bikes...........ff
Yes I imagine they would suck in the dirt but I bet knobbies on an ST might be nice on packed dirt and gravel roads. Maybe even when there is a smidge of snow and wet leaves in an urban commute. Possibly even reduce hydroplane risk on the freeway?

But I'm not married to the idea, I wouldn't mind exploring it. So far otherwise looks like Avons are the best reviewed of what I've found available in OEM sizes.

Anyone know what the other ok but more popular tire specs are?

OP
OP
at 700+ lbs and the ground clearance of a snake, has anyone even tried?
Haven't people taken there STs "adventure" biking in Alaska and such? One MSF instructor was regaling me with his collegues tales of the ST1300 that still has Alaskan mud on it...for sale btw..
This same guy runs knobbies on his Buell and he makes a good argument...

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
I've been down many a "pee poor" gravel road/2track on the ST, my VFR, and now my FJR....they ain't dirt bikes....I don't think knobbies would have improved anything....maybe try an Anakee 3 or such if you want to experiment...if you'd need 4wheel drive in a truck it's not the right place for sport touring bikes......have fun.....ff

OP
OP
Again, the primary purpose is NOT about adventuring, but the perceived added value on streets with regard to loose asphalt, snow, wet conditions etc.
Same reason I prefer good ol Vibram lug soles over dress shoes. SO how about we dispense with how the ST is not a dirt bike, GOT IT AGREED.

Anyone know of the usable alternate sizes for ST1100 non ABS tires. AND separately aggressively treaded tires that fit? Otherwise there's plenty of material for standard sport touring tires and Avons seem to be the top of that list that's also available.

OP
OP
A rear knobby is available in the same size that the ST runs as a front tire, and amazing as it sounds, in the same weight rating as the typical ST front tire (58). It's only S rated for speed though, and it requires a tube.

http://www.amazon.com/Michelin-T63-Tire-Application-All-Terrain/dp/B001P4I3X6
Ooooooo thanks! And that's a nice price too, any ideas on issues running a tube in an otherwise tubeless rim? Additional heat maybe?

As for S rating/112 mph...yah speed limts here are 70mph and pretty flat I rarely hit 95 and only for passing idiots.

...now to find something for the rear...

Last edited:
Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Interesting idea....anyone ever put a tube on a ST? Wondering how that would work out......ff

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I think you'll loose pavement performance using knobbies. Depending how aggressive the pattern, there will be a lot less rubber on the road. Also, a lot of knobby tires have a pretty flat profile. That will result in even less rubber to road contact when cornering. Lastly those knobs are going to move around a lot under the weight of an ST. That will result in an unstable feeling.

-Jeff

OP
OP
Looks like Metzler Roadrtec Z6s are the current top contender.

Found the thread on the Shinko 703s on the ST1100. Interesting but price and availability wise a bit problematic than these Metzlers to procure.

The Z6s have good reviews on handling, hope I get decent mileage out of them.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Z6 (and previous Z4) has been my tire of choice for almost 20 years and I DO get great mileage from them. Averaging 25,000 km on a rear and up to 30,000 km on a front, but everyone knows that YMMV!

Top Bottom