Double dark.... why does it work?

So after putting several hundred miles (about 1800 miles on the Goodrich Comp rear, and about 600 miles on the Battlax BT45R front) on my 07' St1300 Darkside, I'm perplexed. Why does the Battlax on the front make such a remarkable difference? I can't even describe the HUGE change! No one would be able to tell the difference (between the car tire and a mc tire) if they didn't look first. Wow.... it's fantastic! 200 miles today on extremely curvy roads and sometimes wet.... felt wonderful!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Bike
06 ST1300A
STOC #
I've wondered the same thing. I'm now on an FJR 1300 and recently put on a car tire. I can't find where anyone has gone double dark with the FJR so it looks like I'll be the first to give it a try. Maybe it's an ST thing? Weird how well it works on the ST.

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
Tim, I was wondering the same thing about the front of the FJR . I'll be going with a CT as soon as I burn off the stocker. Let me know how it works out.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Every tire is going to have certain handling characteristics, and some will work well on a bike and some won't. The manufacturers design the bike for and test it with a small range of tires/sizes; they cannot possibly test all configurations and types. Toss in tire pressures and all the other variables and the number of combinations becomes infinite

You hit on a combination that works. That's great.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Contemplating CTs for my ride. Did some web surfing for tech articles on why Dark Side would be bad for you: Quite entertaining!

But looking at vids of a 1300 and GW with CTs, their lines through the turns do not seem very clean/stable? Is it just rider skills or tire induced?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANTlFAFBoXw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNMEv7VoH04

Is there a vid of a CT1300 somewhere with nice and clean turn trajectories through twisties?

Thanks

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
The fact is some riders have difficulty managing their bike regardless of what tire they use. Most of the guys I ride with run dark and with many years and miles experience. None of us have a problem with handling in any situation. Fact is--motorcycles aren't for everyone.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
But looking at vids of a 1300 and GW with CTs, their lines through the turns do not seem very clean/stable? Is it just rider skills or tire induced?
That's what happens when you roll over the edge of a squared off tire. Ask anyone that has never tried it and they will tell you...

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I'll speculate that perhaps a rear tire profile is slightly different than a front, or that the BT-045 simply has a profile that is better suited (by pure luck). Regardless of what you have on the back, certain fronts work better (for me) than others and I judge that by the turn-in. It just so happens that a BT-045 rear fits on the front and I would agree, use normal tire pressure up front.

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
I'll speculate that perhaps a rear tire profile is slightly different than a front, or that the BT-045 simply has a profile that is better suited (by pure luck). Regardless of what you have on the back, certain fronts work better (for me) than others and I judge that by the turn-in. It just so happens that a BT-045 rear fits on the front and I would agree, use normal tire pressure up front.
Being this is a double dark thread.....anybody doing this on the FJR Ray? I honestly have not even looked at what size front tire is on my new bike. I plan to put a CT on as soon as the OEM wears out.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
or that the BT-045 simply has a profile that is better suited (by pure luck).
Well it wouldn't be just the BT-045 profile, I have tried other fronts and they all make the CT on the back feel more rounded.

Probbaly that it has just a slightly larger diameter, just like the CT on the back. So it brings the ST back to neutral.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Being this is a double dark thread.....anybody doing this on the FJR Ray? I honestly have not even looked at what size front tire is on my new bike. I plan to put a CT on as soon as the OEM wears out.
I have only used a rear CT and to my knowledge no one has done DDS. Perhaps they just didn't know about the BT-45 coming in appropriate sizes..... front FJR is 120/70-17. Don't know if you could squeeze a 130 in there or not..........

Top Bottom