SPOT Service Plan

TOS

Bike
2015 Super Tenere
STOC #
Not very happy with SPOT.
The device I purchased in 2012 died a few weeks ago. Called SPOT, went through hours of troubleshooting. They finally, decide new device needed, $50 exchange...not to bad. The tech, that I could barely understand, asked if I wanted to upgrade my plan from the Basic package, I said NO.
On Friday I got this email. I just got off the phone with SPOT customer service. No more Basic plans allowed. So, for your $150 you get basic and tracking. Then, at the end of each year service you will be charged another $10 for the Network.
My plan actually expires mid June. I may not renew it.

Below, copy of the email SPOT sent to me.......

This email is to inform you of upcoming changes to your SPOT service plan(s):

1. We are making important network upgrades to ensure the best possible service in the industry. As such, a Network Maintenance Fee $9.99 will be charged to your account after the first full term of your service agreement is completed.
2. The Basic service plan that your device(s) are currently on has been discontinued and will be migrated over to our new Basic service plan. As such, your current price will increase to $149.99 at the time of your renewal.

If you have any questions please contact Customer Care at 855-769-6954.

Thank you for choosing SPOT.

SPOT, LLC

TPadden

Tom Padden
Give Life360 (Android and IOS) a try. Free, and current cell coverage keeps my wife as happy tracking me as Spot did. Rural has been fairly accurate and in any populated area she can tell what aisle in Walmart I'm at. Even at OkieSToc she knew when I entered the Park and when I left :D.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
Got the same letter... don't remember the extra $10. Was annoyed enough that they're charging the extra 50 for tracking when not needed.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
Maybe I'm not completely getting the issue, is it the $10 a year? I think basic and tracking before was $149.99. Personally for what it offers to me as a rider and my family as assurance that everything is ok and they can locate me if something goes wrong I'm ok with $10 more a year.

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
Back in March I was looking for a discount code and was unsuccessful. I sent them an email stating I was not interested in renewing at full price but would happily pay what I have for the last 3 years ($106). I got an immediate response saying they have credited my account $60. I even got a follow up phone call. Net: I paid $101 for basic service + tracking.

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
I too, was billed for the $9.99 network charge and the upgrade to the automatic tracking (which I did not have previously). Calling got me a credit for the tracking - at least for 1 year.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
I think I understand better now. This is more of an issue if you didn't subscribe to the tracking as now they are saying you have to have it. When I last renewed I found a code for free tracking on ADVrider, it seems they constantly have an up to date code in the thread over there.

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
I think I understand better now. This is more of an issue if you didn't subscribe to the tracking as now they are saying you have to have it. When I last renewed I found a code for free tracking on ADVrider, it seems they constantly have an up to date code in the thread over there.

Landon -

Is that a Discount Code

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Give Life360 (Android and IOS) a try. Free, and current cell coverage keeps my wife as happy tracking me as Spot did. Rural has been fairly accurate and in any populated area she can tell what aisle in Walmart I'm at. Even at OkieSToc she knew when I entered the Park and when I left :D.
Thanks for the info Tom. Just put them on our iPhones and will check it out. So far both being home it worked.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
**** FYI ****

Noticed my renewal was coming up in two weeks.... Called SPOTs 866 number and told them I wanted to cancel my account.

They offered a $50 credit/discount to stay and I still get the tracking ( which I was forced to take as everyone gets it now )... Didn't get the extra $10 off tho I tried.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
SPOT is reminding me of XM: increase the price (at a time when consumers have more options available, ie, when they've less market leverage to command a price increase), so you have to call and threaten cancelling to get the price down. They take the calculated risk that some will cancel the service, but count on more paying the increase to cover the lost revenue from those that cancel.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TOS

TOS

Bike
2015 Super Tenere
STOC #
Thanks Tom. Was going to ask you the name again. Remembered you mentioned it at GA.
If it works at OkieSTOC it should work 90% of the time.
By the way, I'm guessing you have to have "location on" selected for your phone?

Last edited:

TPadden

Tom Padden
Thanks Tom. Was going to ask you the name again. Remembered you mentioned it at GA.
If it works at OkieSTOC it should work 90% of the time.
By the way, I'm guessing you have to have "location on" selected for your phone?
Yep, not sure of Android but IOS you can just turn it on for that program. It's also REALLY handy to set up a circle for riding buds or a trip - no longer a problem getting separated ....... Easy to join or leave a circle.

For me, closer to 95% of the time :)

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
It's also REALLY handy to set up a circle for riding buds or a trip - no longer a problem getting separated ....... Easy to join or leave a circle.
That's a nice trick. For me, makes it worth having. I've a problem with 90% coverage (really think it's less than that with signal strength issues), my luck when I needed it I would be in that uncovered area.

TPadden

Tom Padden
Last edited:

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
No signal strength issues; if you can send a text, it will work.
I've experienced them in West Texas, Utah, Wyoming, Mississippi, and Nevada. Nada in those locations between towns and in some small incorporations; no data! Could mostly get voice, something about different carriers not contracted to carry data.

TPadden

Tom Padden
I've experienced them in West Texas, Utah, Wyoming, Mississippi, and Nevada. Nada in those locations between towns and in some small incorporations; no data! Could mostly get voice, something about different carriers not contracted to carry data.
Personally, I left Spot because of extensive coverage failures, not just because I'm cheap.

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?137927-Spotty-Spot&highlight=

Whatever works for you, just pointing to another technological wonder option :).

Last edited:

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Personally, I left Spot because of extensive coverage failures. https://www.st-owners.com/forums/show...pot&highlight=
Thanks for the info/link. Does it also affect emergency messages? Thread indicated messages worked. Truly I'm more concerned with getting an emergency message out. I'm not paying for the tracking but do get 15 minute pings for tracking and so far they seem to be working.

TPadden

Tom Padden
Thanks for the info/link. Does it also affect emergency messages? Thread indicated messages worked. Truly I'm more concerned with getting an emergency message out. I'm not paying for the tracking but do get 15 minute pings for tracking and so far they seem to be working.
Can't answer that since I've never sent an emergency message. Only seen one sent behind me and the helicopter later showed up (but cell phone also worked in that case) :D.

An hour later Spot called and asked if we'd turn the dang thing off .......

Last edited:
Top Bottom