SPOT Service Plan

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Can't answer that since I've never sent an emergency message. Only seen one sent behind me and the helicopter later showed up (but cell phone also worked in that case) :D.

An hour later Spot called and asked if we'd turn the dang thing off .......
That's not quite accurate. Spot support actually noticed the Spot Tracker moving from the 911 scene and immediately called the emergency contact number to advise whomever was carrying Spot away from accident scene to turn it off............ contact then called Spot owner's friend list...... got one who was not on the trip. That person starting calling people he thought might be on scene and leaving messages on phones to turn off Spot. When the person carrying the Spot got down off the mountain and back into cell coverage.......beep beep beep....the message to turn it off came through although about an hour late and only when back into cell coverage for that carrier.

Cell phone based systems lack coverage in great riding areas although they have Walmart locations pretty much covered in case you get locked in the men's room.

TPadden

Tom Padden
....Cell phone based systems lack coverage in great riding areas although they have Walmart locations pretty much covered in case you get locked in the men's room.
We disagree again, not surprisingly. The event/ incident was in 2009, cell coverage has vastly improved in the last 7 years. I've been cell tracked accurately in great riding areas all over the country. Including Big Bend, Mexican Hat, Death Valley, the Smokies, the Rockies, the Black Hills, the Blue Ridge, and the Ozarks - far from any Walmart men's room.

Last edited:

TPadden

Tom Padden
There are some big gaps on data coverage. AT&T current coverage map (remember 3rd party coverage is sometimes spotty depending on contract): https://www.att.com/maps/wireless-coverage.html
Yep, Verizon coverage is good (arguably the best) and adequate for my needs; AT&T perhaps not so good - others are better or worse. I'm already paying for cell coverage 24-7; if I could add Spot by the week or even month I'd maybe think about it. Everyone else's needs and desires are different but it's nice to have alternatives. Unlike some, I've never spent much time in any men's room, as anyone who has camped with me can attest :).

Last edited:

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
So, you're saying you spend time in the women's room Padden?! :p:

I do think that those who can get good coverage (or those who feel coverage is adequate) via cell have a better solution than the expensive and standalone SPOT service--in a way I envy that (until I take anther look at the scenery and am 'glad' I'm in an area where cell coverage isnt reliable!). I for one see way too infrequent coverage to drop SPOT...and I have Verizon service.

OP
OP
TOS

TOS

Bike
2015 Super Tenere
STOC #
Downloaded the Life360 app last night...I like it. Invited some family to join too, that will help when we/they are traveling for a visit for arrival times. I figure SPOT will offer a discount when I call to cancel. If so, I'll probably use 1 more year.

This app would have been handy to have about 15-20 years ago when the kids were teenagers. :)

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Downloaded the Life360 app last night...I like it. Invited some family to join too, that will help when we/they are traveling for a visit for arrival times. I figure SPOT will offer a discount when I call to cancel. If so, I'll probably use 1 more year.

This app would have been handy to have about 15-20 years ago when the kids were teenagers. :)
I downloaded the app too and then my Google kid said that the iPhone has the same thing-Find Friends so I'm comparing the two of them. I did use Life360 and it followed Carole downtown yesterday pretty closely. And told me when she arrived at home.

OP
OP
TOS

TOS

Bike
2015 Super Tenere
STOC #
I downloaded the app too and then my Google kid said that the iPhone has the same thing-Find Friends so I'm comparing the two of them. I did use Life360 and it followed Carole downtown yesterday pretty closely. And told me when she arrived at home.
Ain't technology great! When it's working as planned, anyway.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
My family uses Find my iPhone and my brother and I use Find my Friends. Both work very well.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I still like SPOT. I still go to places where my cell phone has no coverage and that's the whole point. It may not be reliable when you are looking at the track and it doesn't ping every xx mins but if you are off the road in a place with no cell coverage, it will keep sending out pings from that location and it will eventually connect... For me it's still worth it. I hope as cell coverage improves for all the carriers that it will become useless over time, it's definitely better than is used to be and I may still have the life360 as well, seems like a great idea as well.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?72221-Donald-Masters-Search-Found-(Facts-Only)

This event is what prompted me to buy a Spot. The tracking and messaging is nice but the emergency signal is really what I pay for. As a system the Spot is not perfect of course and it could be broken or I could come to rest lying on top of it in a crash but the same could be said for a phone. If the device has a clear sky view it's reasonably waterproof and is capable of sending my location to low earth satellite for 6 days or more according to it's FCC certification. If I don't check in with friends or family and someone starts looking then Spot is the first place to call. Privacy issues with a phone carrier may delay help from first responders and the battery life of my iPhone is measured in hours, not days.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
Renewed the SPOT.....

Just was in Romney , WV last week and I run a LG Smartphone ( tracfone on Verizons network ). Found out large area of WV ( and nearby states) the phone doesn't work as tracfone doesn't appear to have a contract with Alcatel for verizons roaming. It was NO SERVICE !

I know it works well in most areas for $10 a month, but looks at the coverage is a no go there.... so SPOT does cover. Next time I'll travel with an old tracfone i have with AT&T ( BTW, real verizon works fine ) which has coverage.
Good thing is they are quick to activate for 30 days cheaply.

So check coverage to the areas your traveling to.

Capture13.JPG

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
SPOT is great for reviewing a trip or keeping family and friends informed as to where you are, but when an emergency arises and I need help, I know I can count on SPOT to get help on the way.

Also . . . when riding with others, insure that they know your emergency contact information or where you keep it (neckless, wallet, pocket, etc.). When SPOT 911 receives your alert signal, in addition to getting help on the way, they call your emergency contact to notify that an alert was received and help is on the way. Your SPOT also sends the message you programmed in your account. This creates high stress for your emergency contact as they don't know if your alive or how severe your injuries may be. If no cell coverage, your riding friends can provide your emergency notification info to responders who can provide additional info via radio to someone with a phone who can relay your situation and disposition. FYI.

I have been LOTS of places (primarily out west, AK, BC and YT) without cell coverage and never lost my SPOT connection.

I have Life360 also and find it useful for group riding (as noted previously); getting separated isn't a problem. It also allows people awaiting your arrival the ability to follow your progress and ETA.

Shuey
Experienced SPOT user

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Update. My SPOT account renewed in April and based on input here I gave them a call.

After 15 minutes on the phone, and a threat to (made politely) cancel, I received $50 off.

That's about 24 gallons of gas . . . thanks all for your input!

Shuey

OP
OP
TOS

TOS

Bike
2015 Super Tenere
STOC #
Update. My SPOT account renewed in April and based on input here I gave them a call.

After 15 minutes on the phone, and a threat to (made politely) cancel, I received $50 off.

That's about 24 gallons of gas . . . thanks all for your input!

Shuey
I did the same thing today!
My subscription expires next week. I told the guy to cancel my account. He asked why and I told him I found something else to use. He asked what kind of device I purchased. I told him, I didn't have to buy anything, just use my phone with Life360. My friends/family can follow me on their phones...don't have to check emails or websites. Then he offered me the NEW basic plan with tracking for $99.99 per year ($50 discount).
Looks like I have SPOT for 1 more year anyway.
Ride Safe.

Top Bottom