Returned to the Pan European after 4 years on a Crosstourer

Bike
PE ST1300 2016 Red
Hi all,
I have returned to the Pan European after 4 years on the Crosstourer with DCT. The Crosstourer is a good bike with an excellent engine - and the DCT is amazing. But when it comes to riding comfort, I have had my fill of wind noise and buffeting. The standard fairing is OK, but full wind in the face. The touring fairing creates too much buffeting. I tried the Givi Airflow, but was adjusting it every few hours - it just wasn't right.

The new Africa Twin was great to ride, and the bike is really great for adventure riding, and will probably sell like hot cakes - but again, the wind is too much for me.

So, I am taking the Crosstourer back to the dealer in half an hour. The 2016 Pan European is ordered and I should have a gleaming new ST1300 in red in about 10 days. It will be my fourth Pan - and I can't wait. Planning a tour in the Alps already.

Cheers,
Doc

Last edited:

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Congrats on the new bike! Pics would be great.

Weird seeing someone mention a "new 2016 Pan" they just bought. I think 2013 is the last year here in the USA, not sure though.

Doc, that red is gorgeous.

After looking at the French website I can see why Honda can still sell a few of these. The photos alone are worth the visit. Compared to the US website I wonder if the marketing and management here actually gives a damn about selling any motorcycle. And when Honda can still bring a CrossTourer, F6B and ST1300 here without cruise control (only recently available on the F6B) it makes me wonder if those idiots even ride motorcycles. I was very excited about the VFR1200X coming here but the short sightedness Honda promotes in their management spoiled that dream.

I recently rode 100 miles to test ride the FJR1300ES, 2015 model, and with the exception of the usual windscreen, rather wind scream device, I found it very nice. But I want more upright riding thanks to 60 years of physical abuse of my own design. So I sat on a CTX1300. Very comfy, much better looking in the flesh BUT reduced luggage capacity, reduced fuel capacity, NO cruise control. ***?!!!

Will this stupidity ever end?

Congratulations Doc on the new ST. I enjoyed looking at your gallery and hope to see more of the new ride soon.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DocST1300
Bike
PE ST1300 2016 Red
Honda Europe as still selling them, and have just added blue to the brochure for 2016, so you can get red, black or blue now. My dealer ordered mine from Honda Europe yesterday, so it should arrive next week. My dealer also said that Honda still have a lot of bikes in stock.

The ST1300 is built to Euro 3 emissions standard, and from January 2017 all bikes have to be Euro 4 - so I think this is the last year to get a new Pan as I don't think they will make any changes. Perhaps the new VFR1200T that we have all been waiting for will be announced for 2017.

Most importantly though, I have a new Pan! I will post some picture when she arrives, and thanks for the welcome back!

Last edited:
OP
OP
DocST1300
Bike
PE ST1300 2016 Red
Hi John,
any ideas what they might have changed on the AE version? Although, I'm just glad I could get one. Mine was built in 2015, I believe it is from the last batch. There are still a few left in the European warehouse in Gent.
Off to register it on Wednesday morning, so I'll be on the road Wednesday night. Already planning a week in the Dolomites in July/Aug - it's a great ride down there from here in germany too.

Does anyone know the difference between Candy Glory Red and Candy Alizarin Red?

Doc

Bike
2011 Honda ST1300
Good news on your return to the ST1300.
:)

2016? Hmm I thought they weren't making the ST anymore.
They aren't, there's still a load left in Europe so the Dealers have them in Stock. The current Honda France Line up includes: http://moto.honda.fr/modeles/moto-routieres/honda-pan-european.html
My dealer has a beautiful Red one in stock. It's awfully tempting...
Nice here seems like just Black ones left.
Here is Oz the ST's have not been imported since 2011. My Black ST13 I purchased 'new' in August 2013, had difficult finding one, was told I got the last one in Oz. However, late 2015 / early 2016 a Honda dealer in Toowoomba QLD, sourced three that had been set aside for the QLD Police, they didn't won't them anymore, so they are being sold as new bikes, probably all gone by now.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Does anyone know the difference between Candy Glory Red and Candy Alizarin Red?
Hard to say for certain due to the vagaries of lighting but Candy Glory Red looks a shade or two darker in the photos I've seen. You'd need to put them side by side to be sure.

Bike
'09 1300
STOC #
Well, here is our Candy Glory and Candy Graceful side by side.

My wife's is the Candy Graceful. I'm kind of partial to the Candy Graceful but they are hard to find. After 11 years it still shines like new!

Bike
2004 ST 1300
I am in Socal; was at my dealer this am and they had a brand new '14 ST in the showroom for $15k. First time I've seen one there in years. I'm also disgusted with Honda - i think they have altogether abandoned the sport tour market here. My next bike may have to be a Beemer. But I've only got 86k on my ST, so it may be a while; a buddy of mine has over 184k on his and still running fine.

Top Bottom