Tire conundrum

Bike
07 ST1300
I have a fairly new roadsmart rear with a new roadsmart front and I HATE the combinations. I liked the standard roadsmarts just fine and these were on it for my test ride and the test ride is why I bought the bike. Incredibly neutral and just SO easy to ride. Dunlop sent me a new roadsmart 2 to replace the recall front last fall and I bloody hate the thing. I have to wrestle it like mad through low speed corners. Just awful, period. I diddled the pressures and shock preload bla bla bla and the combination just sucks.
So..What do I do? What tires to buy? I am actually and perhaps stupidly, considering roadsmart 3's. Also Igo's recommendation of the Perelli Angel GT's. I WANT my easy riding, neutral steering ST back!
Also some tires are tough to mount and I would avoid them if possible.
So let it rip!

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Michelin PR4s. Easy to mount with zip ties. Good handling, excellent in rain, and decent mileage. Mine don't wrestle me during low speed handling. There are others that handle better but not so much mileage or easy to mount. Tires seem to be a compromise between handling, mileage, and mounting.

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Are you sure the front wheel was put back on correctly? Can't believe that there's a crappy enough tire out there (unless it's defective) that it affects handling that much when new....there's a thread here somehwhere about the correct way to tighten the axle....good luck.....ff

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
If you place light, accurate handling above other factors try Bridgestone T30s or T30 Evos. If you are a rider that gets good mileage out of a Michelin you'd get good mileage out of a T30, at least enough to make them less expensive per mile.

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
If you place light, accurate handling above other factors try Bridgestone T30s or T30 Evos. If you are a rider that gets good mileage out of a Michelin you'd get good mileage out of a T30, at least enough to make them less expensive per mile.
Yup tried the BS T30s GT - amazing handling; pretty good mileage so far - may try to the PR4's so I can know the difference....so far 8k on the set, with room to spare.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I recently bought a shiny new set of Pirelli Angel GT's. However, my "new to me ST" came with a nearly new Dunlop rear tire,,, and a practically pouched front Metzler. It would have been nice to change into the full set of GT's,,, but given the inevitably faster wear rate on the rear tire,, I decided to only change the worn out front tire,,, and thus run a mixed set till July. By then the rear Dunlop will be past half done, and ready to be relegated to my growing spares inventory. I have been riding that way for a week now,,, and the mixed set handling is fine, so all good for the next 3000+ kms !! Both my CB's run Dunlop rears,, and Bridgestone front's,, btw. Reliable handling is my priority,, mixed or not,,,, Cat'

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I only got 4600 miles on my T30GT rear tire. The front still has a few thousand on it but I swapped both to PR4GT yesterday.
My current T30GT rear has 5,533 miles on it with 3/32" thread depth remaining. The one before went across the country and back about 9500 miles - I never got more than just under 11,000 miles on a PR3. Many riders like Michelin Pilot Roads, I ran PRs through 3 generations. It is a great tire for many I just prefer a stiffer sidewall tire that gives sharper handling.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I put PR4GT's on last tire change, and think they handle a little bit better than the 023 'Stones that were on there before. Add to that they mount easily with Zip-ties, and we have a winner!

Bike
'07 ST1300
I'm on my fourth or fifth set of Roadsmarts. I love the RS because it has effortless, neutral handling at all speeds. I found no difference in handling between the original Roadsmart and the RSII. There is a big difference between a new front RS and a worn one with a peaked center ridge. That could be what you are feeling. My preference is 43/43 lbs tire pressure and adjust the rear preload to the desired handling. Do you have any head wag when braking to a full stop? - then address your steering head bearings. That will affect low speed handling in a big way.
If you like to boogie, brake late and throw the bike over then a Bridgestone is for you. Something less aggressive for half-and-half riding/racing is the Michelin PR - it will turn in slower than the Bridgestone but faster than the RS.

Bill

OP
OP
JimGregory
Bike
07 ST1300
I will look hard at the T30 EVO GT's and continue pondering the Angels and PR4's.
My RS2 front is like new and I probably have another 3 thousand or so left on the rear. What I think is the problem currently is the RS2 front is a very different profile then the RS1 front. And using the RS1 rear doesnt match well. But highway manners are fine. No wobbles shimmies or shakes anytime. Just low speed turn in is not effortless like it used to be. Maybe my RS1 rear is squaring off. But this was a same day change and went from nice to not nice without question.
And thanks very much for the input all!

OP
OP
JimGregory
Bike
07 ST1300
I wore out the rear roadsmart and put a PR4GT on the rear. I am delighted to report that my easy sweet riding bike is back!
MY BIKE hated the roadsmart 1 rear coupled with the roadsmart 2 front. At this point I doubt anyone will be using that combination ever.
But bloody hell that pricey PR4 rear is nice. The whole bike is transformed. Out of the garage and into the rain on mile 1 and it felt great.
I am getting to old to spoon tires on and off. Jeez what a bear of a job.

OP
OP
JimGregory
Bike
07 ST1300
Just ordered a PR4GT front. The RS2 front is not worn out but the soft outside tread wore more then the center and turn in at around town speeds is horrible. What a POS that tire is (soon to be was).

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Just ordered a PR4GT front. The RS2 front is not worn out but the soft outside tread wore more then the center and turn in at around town speeds is horrible. What a POS that tire is (soon to be was).
I think you will like the PR4s. Only tire I run.

ToddC

Bike
2010 ST1300
I got Angel GT's based on Larry's write up, and couldn't be happier. No problems at all. I have experienced the occasional slippage (maybe 3" sideways) when leaned over and I cross the center painted line, but that might be the case with every tire. These are confidence inspiring - if I've blown the line through a curve, I just lean 'er over more. Not sure how much is the bike and how much is the tire.

Got a pair of PR4. Already nearly 24.000 km.
Stick to the road like covered with glue. [emoji3].
I made with Bridgestone (T30/BT023, mostly GT) no more than 16.000km.
Metzeler Z6 and Z8 about 10k
Heading for 25k. [emoji3][emoji772]

Martin

OP
OP
JimGregory
Bike
07 ST1300
I already have the PR4 rear on there. I just want the PR4 front rounded profile on there ASAP. The angular profiled POS roadsmart 2 makes me crazy.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
JimGregory said:
The angular profiled POS roadsmart 2 makes me crazy.
That reminds me of my first set of TT100s on my 305 Scrambler after my Bridgestones of some flavor. The V-shaped profile's turn-in was almost scary amazing.

OP
OP
JimGregory
Bike
07 ST1300
Got the new pr4gt front on. What a difference. That roadsmart 2 was the worst peice of junk tire i have ever used.
of course the pr4 rear now has a lot of feathering or cupping. Thats a new one on me.

Top Bottom