ST1300 - small start-up mystery

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Encountered a bit of a mystery this morning after the bike sat outdoors covered in continually wet / damp weather for a week.

I was getting ready to go for a ride, going through the usual routine. Cover off the bike, phone in the cradle and plug it in, key in the ignition, start it to let it warm wile I don gloves, etc... and it dies within a couple seconds. Turned over enthusiastically and hit right off the bat, then humph humph erf erf dribble dribble quit. Tried for restart- cranked but barely fired and quit again. Third try? Barely anything. Tried one more time with throttle partway open- success! Once it started and really caught, no further issues. No rough idle, no hesitation on throttle response. Ran like it always does, which is to say smoothly and confidently. Never missed a beat during the remainder of the warm-up, or while I was riding.

No further issues during the ride, including a couple shut-offs and restarts at planned intermediate destinations.

Is it possible that there was simply a lot of damp trapped under the cover that permeated the wiring, maybe getting into a connection somewhere that needed to be warmed up to dry out?

It's the first time I've had anything remotely resembling an issue with this bike, in the almost 10,000 miles I've put on it in the 22 months it's been mine. This is also the longest stretch of really pervasively and unrelentingly damp weather we've had during that time but one data point doesn't make a trend...

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
I'd go with either water or the fuel system not pressurizing fully the first couple of tries. Mine does the same thing after having sat for a long stretch.

--Mark

Top Bottom