Burgman 650????

RP3

Bike
2001 ST 1100
STOC #
Had a stroke in Feb.
Clutch hand and left leg not fully cooperating yet.
Jonesing to ride,but ST1100 is heavy and theres that clutch issue.
Thinking about 650 Burgman.
Anybody done similar switch?
What say you?

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
It sure would beat not riding! I've not ridden one, but I have heard many say it's a good machine. On a cross country trip many years ago, I say a Burgman two up pulling a trailer. Give it a try!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Yes, some have. Don't be fooled into thinking the Burgman is a scooter... it's a motorcycle and many tour on it like it was classified as a sport touring bike.

At least a couple here have done it and if you search this section you'll find them. If I had health issues regarding limiting my physical abilities on a traditional bike I'd definitely consider one or maybe one of the Honda DCT options. But, the Burgman has been around a while so any issues it has are probably well-known on the www.burgmanusa.com site.

Good luck with your decision and glad you are not letting the health issues keep you from living.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I have a Honda Helix as a second bike, not because of any restrictions, it's just FUN TO RIDE! It handles like a dream, gets over 70MPG consistently, and did I mention, it's FUN TO RIDE! Yes, it looks a little odd....a 6'1" guy on a scooter, but I'm too old to worry about appearances any more. I take wife into work on it, run errands, and I always take the long way home. I think any of the Megascooters would be the same. The Burgman seems to be the "Cadillac" of the bunch, both in terms of good ride, handling, etc, and in terms of price. If price is no object, I'd go for the Burgman. I have ridden both it and the Honda Version, the SIlverWing. ( commonly called a SWing). My sis has the SWing, and I have ridden it quite a bit. SHe rides it from Norfolk VA down here to Canton every year for our October Rendezvous, and loves it. It'll keep up with the ST in just about any kind of riding, even on the highway .

Scooter tires, because of their smaller diameter , don't wear as long as Big bike tires, but they are cheap too. Maintenance is VERY easy.

I'd say, go for it....research the various scooters- all of them have their strengths.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Also might consider one of the Honda CTX700 models with the DCT option.

scootac

Will Ride for Food
My wife made the same switch a year ago.
1100 just too heavy & tall for her to feel confident any longer. Not sorry she did. Good weather protection and luggage capacity.
No swinging your leg over as with DCT models.
And it will keep you riding!!!

Bike
'05 ST1300 "STinger"
I rode a friends Burgman a bit when my old Goldwing was in the shop. The 2 issues I remember are the seat and the stock windshield directed bugs right in my face. Take care of those 2 issues and you have a great ride. Just my .02

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I owned a Burgman 650 before my ST1100. Loved riding it. Knew a lot of owners who rode from Washington state across to the east coast states no problem. Very low CG so very easy to handle in the garage and at any speed on the road. I added Givi e52 top case and also a "tunnel bag" (think tank bag that fits in the space in front of the seat), and ended up with about the same total storage as on the ST. The under seat storage space is 55 liter so fit a LOT of stuff. With a true CVT and low maintenance final drive it was very reliable. Engine is frame mounted like any other motorcycle so it acts much more like a mc. Only reason I sold mine was I had no room in the garage for more than one bike. No issues keeping up with any other bike on the highway. Only thing is the rear brake lever is on the left grip, but front only works very well. A DCT bike doesn't have any lever on the left so it's really up to you which you would prefer. The 700 is a good machine as well.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Reviving an old thread here.
I've been a BAAAD boy lately. My mind has been wandering (becoming more common as I get older anyway) and my thinking about riding and desire for riding is changing. NO, I am not about to hang up my helmet and stop, but just changing my mind about the kind of riding I've done more recently and actually want to do moving forward. Who knows, I may change my mind again at a later date. Isn't that what living is all about?
For a number of years I've had the thought that I'd like to go riding a lot farther than I have. Like from home to either coast. Or even up through Canada to Seattle and back. But now I'm thinking more like rides just across state lines rather than national lines and more day rides. Still riding to STOC events... at least the ones I've been to these last many years. Just not so much interested in making it beyond those distances. Maybe 600-700 miles max, but more like between 250-450 miles one way trips and not so many as I THOUGHT I'd get around to doing. I guess just reassessing my actual riding and aligning my desires with that. I do really enjoy just riding locally and the occasional jaunt beyond local.
THIS is what I had before my ST1100:

My mind has been remembering the fun I had riding my Burgman 650 all over the state and the ease with which it was to ride locally. More than any other scoot I've owned. The Gold Wing, ST, and now CTX are great for gobbling up miles. My CTX is still a really good commuter as well. It's just that commuting is what I do more than anything else, and also shorter day rides (150 miles round trip or less even) and the B650 can do all that even better and also take off across the state or beyond on occasion. I am looking to retire at the end of the year (barring any effective preventive measures by SWMBO) so am thinking of how I'll be riding after that. I know there will obviously be more time to ride, but also I don't really feel like doing different riding than I've just mentioned. Just maybe more often.

Only problem is I know a certain someone here will remember that I told her the CTX was the last "motorcycle" I'd buy. She doesn't really understand the difference between "motorcycle" and "scooter" and besides I've always told her the B650 is really more motorcycle than scooter due to how it is designed on the inside. With an engine based on the Hayabusa but with the skin of a semi-step through scoot. Anyway, that's been going through my mind these days. :eek::rolleyes:

Oh, and I don't want to have more than one in the garage. We just got rid of the second cage that would just sit for months at a time... since I ride the bike most times.

edit: BTW- that photo with the 3 scoots is during transition when I first bought the B650 and waiting for the Gold Wing buyer to pick up. Extra cage was kicked out of garage during this time to make room.

Last edited:

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Would I become totally outcast if I showed up at the next STOC event on this? :grin:

5b7201cefd7b6416cc35dc98.jpg
Yes, that is a Corbin seat. Initial impression is that it was really a wood plank, but after a few moments it started to feel really comfortable. Just a little slippery that should improve with time and leather "treatment." Support was in all the right places and not in any of the wrong ones.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Would I become totally outcast if I showed up at the next STOC event on this? :grin:

Yes, that is a Corbin seat. Initial impression is that it was really a wood plank, but after a few moments it started to feel really comfortable. Just a little slippery that should improve with time and leather "treatment." Support was in all the right places and not in any of the wrong ones.
We don't care what you ride... just show up.

Bike
VStrom 650
RJS, they'll let you turn up and then Moly and Feather you from your head to your nethers.
To be on the safe side I'd buy a Honda scooter! That Moly is a bugger to get off.
Upt'North.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
He is safe for now as the Moly commission is still studying the issue of what replaces Moly 60 and has deferred all Moly featherings to a later date that is still under debate as well.
Man, is THAT a relief... for now! :grin:

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product Lines/Scooters/Products/Burgman 650/2018/AN650Z.aspx

A lot of bike for the money. I've seen left over models a lot cheaper too. 14" rear tire 15" front, heated seat/grips, plenty of storage and power. Watch all the pirates on there Harleys speed up when you fly past them on the interstate.
That one is the Executive version. In 2013-2015 there was only the ABS version which is missing the heated seat/grips. I decided I didn't need to spend the extra cash for that option since the ABS version has everything I need and I still have my heated gloves that I like better than heated grips. I've never felt the need for a heated seat, though that might be nice in extreme cold if I ever see temps like The Dan rides in.
I've actually put a deposit on a 2013 Burgman 650 ABS with just over 3200 miles in Eden Prairie just last night, to be picked up on Aug 25. Priced under the going rate for this same model and year, yet not unreasonably so. This is the one pictured in my post 11 above with the Corbin seat. I checked it out in person while attending MNSTOC last weekend. Have my CTX1300 for sale on CycleTrader for what most would say is a real good price.

Oh, and as for those "pirates"... Yes, they'll likely speed up but they won't be able to catch up. This little scoot can easily out run most HD cruisers on the road today. But I imagine you already realized that. :D:thumb:

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST-1300
I have friends that lead the demo rides for Suzuki at Americade . They get to ride what ever bike isn't being demoed (almost always the Burgman) At first it's like oh great I have to take the scooter. At the end of the week they are actually disappointed if they get stuck riding something else. My wife had a Kymco Downtown 300. Other than the short leg room the bike made the perfect grocery getter.

ardykay54

Russ "NeonMan" Knock
Bike
22 Kaw Z900rs 50 ann
2024 Miles
STOC #

Now Bob.....You do know that you are an outcast no matter what you show up on!!??:D...(Just kidding) Russ.

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #

Scooters have been done, even at the Granddaddy of STOC events WeSTOC!

Whit Brown at Taos in 2008.

Top Bottom