Bleeding brake system 06 1300A ?

Hazel Green AL hot and sticky with twisters
Bike
now 06 ST1300A,
I picked up an 06 1300A last fall with 14K on the clock

I did coolant flush / radiator clean

I think I should do a brake fluid flush because I have no service history....and 11 yrs is a long time even with low miles

???do I really need to pull plastic to get to portioning valve.....or can I just bleed the whole system from the calipers?

If I use a colored fluid I will know when it is geiin the new stuff

Thanks

Bike
ST1300
If the system has not been flushed before....you will not need colored fluid to see the difference. the old stuff will be yellowed. I would suggest to clean out the reservoirs. To do the job completely you will want to bleed all points. Don't forget the Clutch.

Bike
2006 ST1300
You don't need to remove the tupperware to get to the proportioning valve, but you DO have to loosen the screws at the R/H pocket box, and the bolt at the top of opening above the head, and the pushclip right by your right knee. ( i may have forgotten one, not sure....). you can pull it back enough to get a tube on the PCV there. I WILL warn you, it can take a few tries to get it fully bled. Remember to take off the L/H side caliper, and tilt it to get all the air out, and actuate the SMC to pump more fluid through it. Mine , the last time, took about 3 bleedings before it was fully bled of all air. You can get back brake drag if it is not done correctly. ( I was....).

All in all, a bit challenging, but worth the effort- besides, the STealer probably won't do it right either.

I am in the process of building a power bleeder, normally I use a MityVac and a Motion pro bleeder.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
Take the time, pull all the plastic , it's worth the time to learn the bike using the tupper work sheets

Either way, take your time.

OP
OP
Hazel Green AL hot and sticky with twisters
Bike
now 06 ST1300A,
Thanks

I was reading the manual and it seemed a little complex compared to my previous bikes/ cars

I figured if I had the dealer do it, it would come back FUBARED. The local dealer did my Kawa C1400 because it was under warranty. By the time I got home there was black gook in one of the reservoirs. It took it back a total of 3 trips to get it right and by then they had dripped brake fluid on the upper fairing. ????????????

I gave up on them at that point

Bike
2010 ST1300
It is a bit involved to do but not bad. Just note were the front or rear is bled using opposite lever and don't deviate from the order. A vacuum bleeder makes it faster if you have one.

Bike
2008 ST 1300
I am getting ready to bleed the hydraulic lines. I am curious. The service manual steps seem to indicate that you completely drain each leg of the system. Then go back an bleed each system with new fluid in each leg of the system. Could one not just drain the old and refill each leg of the system in one procedure. Thanks
Randy

Bike
2006 ST1300
I am getting ready to bleed the hydraulic lines. I am curious. The service manual steps seem to indicate that you completely drain each leg of the system. Then go back an bleed each system with new fluid in each leg of the system. Could one not just drain the old and refill each leg of the system in one procedure. Thanks
Randy
Randy...Yes, you can...I use a turkey baster to get almost all the fluid out of the reservoir ( Got a baster at the dollar store for this....DON'T use the wife's...DAMHIK) . Just keep filling the reservoir until you see clear come out of the bleed screw. Easy Peasy.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The service manual describes completely draining the all circuits of fluid individually before replacing the fluid circuit by circuit but it is possible to remove the old fluid and replace with new without completely draining them first. I've never drained them first.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
Agree..never drain first.

Tools can be basic as plastic tube and jar to catch fluid ( and broom stick taped to the foot pedal when done by self :) )

Bike
2008 ST 1300
Thanks. It makes sense to do all in one step but sometimes Honda has their are little idiosyncrasies. Thanks again

Top Bottom