Ugh Oh!, First time won't start.

Bike
2007 ST 1300
When my ST1300 went into hibernation for the winter I put an additive in the fuel as always but this spring it would not hit a lick but would turn over just fine. I have racked my brain and checked everything I could. Added fresh fuel, checked all fuses ect. I suspect its not getting fuel as I took air filter off and sprayed some gas into breather holes and it would run as long as you sprayed gas but would not continue on its own. The fuel pump doesn't make any noise when you turn key on but then I don't remember if it ever did. We don't have a local dealership to take it to so if anyone has any ideas I sure would welcome some. Thanks, Jime

Bike
No bike
STOC #
You should definitely hear the fuel pump when you turn the key to on position. That's about the extent of my knowledge, I'm sure someone can help you figure out the things to check next...

KTD1911

R.I.P. - 2020/10/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
2018 can am spyderf3
yes i would check the fuse for the fuel pump or make sure mice didn't enjoy your bike wires for the winter. you should hear the fuel pump when you turn the key. Good luck . The fuel pump wire is on the left side

first find out if you have a spark........unscrew a plug...if it's wet, you got some fuel. lay it against the engine so that the steel portion is against the engine block...turn it over, if it sparks, well, you got spark..that gives you a starting point to work from.

OP
OP
Bike
2007 ST 1300
Kinda wish they had a fuse list so I would know exactly which fuse to replace even though it may not be bad.

RCS

Been there. Water in the gasoline that settles at the bottom of the second gas tank right where the fuel intake on the fuel pump is located. Only a few ounces of water will do it. Put in some seafoam, shake up the bike good, give it about 20 minutes, should start up on second or third try. Seafoam absorbs water in the gasoline.

(I bet you did not store the bike with a full to the brim gasoline tank) :)

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
How much fuel stabilizer did you add to your fuel before you put the bike away? This is a case where more is not better. Last spring they had a bike at the dealer I go to where the owner had added the entire bottle of fuel stabilizer to the tank and it would not start and once they removed that fuel they got the bike running.

Gerhard

OP
OP
Bike
2007 ST 1300
Hate to sound so dumb but where might one get this seafoam? How do you get rid of it once its there? How much is some? Your absolutely correct I put it to bed with a little over half.. My bad! If it won't hurt the bike I'll be looking forward to your response. Thanks

OP
OP
Bike
2007 ST 1300
Boy this is my day for sounding so dumb again but what is the best way of removing all the fuel from an ST1300. I have never had to do it before. I followed the directions on the container for the recommended amount. Thanks

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
The fuel pump doesn't make any noise when you turn key on
This is the first thing you have to deal with, not the possibility of condensed water in the lower tank. Got a DVM? (digital volt meter) You need to see if +12v is getting to your fuel pump when you first turn on the ignition. The fact that you can squirt some gas into the throttle bodies and get the engine to fire tells me your ignition system is fine...

RCS

This is the first thing you have to deal with, not the possibility of condensed water in the lower tank. Got a DVM? (digital volt meter) You need to see if +12v is getting to your fuel pump when you first turn on the ignition. The fact that you can squirt some gas into the throttle bodies and get the engine to fire tells me your ignition system is fine...
Agreed, would suggest checking to make sure fuel pump is turning on before draining gasoline.

Top Bottom