Air deflector kit installation video exist?

Bike
2006 ST1300
I bought the mirro and fairing air deflector kits for my St1300. I have been reading the threads asscociated with those pieces. Does anyone have a video I can use as a primer before I start? It is easier to ask now than later after I make a mistake.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The Air Deflector Kit (Stage One: Faring and Mirrors) is next on the Have Cash Will Farkle list. I'm willing to brave the installation after just reading the threads but a video would be great! A quick search on YT didn't turn up anything.

From what I've read so far a dry fit followed by cleaning the surfaces and warming them up pretty much cover the installation. Then there is the maintenance cover mod to keep the deflector and cover bits on the bike.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've installed/re-installed these on four of my five ST1300s. And I still haven't found out all the tricks yet!

The hardest part with the main fairing is that screwy area just above the maintenance cover. Trying to get it so there are no gaps is challenging to say the least. But start at that point and work your way to the front and down.

As for the mirrors, watch the front/top rim of the mirror covers and then make sure you line up the other part with the lower part. Also, I have yet to find their solution good enough for the piece that goes over the front clip. I will put the clips for screws there; NUT, FLOATING (5MM) 90306-SA0-000, then use a long enough screw with a washer to hold that piece in place.

Bike
2013 650 vSTrom
STOC #
Also, use a hair/blow dryer or set them in the sun before applying. Makes applying them easier

Bike
2010 ST1300
When I did my trial fit, i marked where to put the rubber on the bike with white electrical tape (its what I had). You can also use blue masking tape or any contrasting colored tape that won't leave a residue (do not use small pieces of duct tape). Then I peeled the tape, heated the stickum part a little w/ a hot air gun, and stuck each deflector piece inside my taped marks. It worked! The hardest pieces were those that go on the mirror, but my marking tape helped a lot.

OP
OP
milkmaster
Bike
2006 ST1300
When you say trial fit what do you mean exactly? I am envisioning slipping the pieces on without removing the tape to mark them? My kits should be here in a few more days. It may become more obvious to me when I see them.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Glad to read these great idea's,,, as I am installing my own mirror deflectors on the next decently warm day. I like the marking tape suggestion. I have decided not to install the lower deflectors for now. I think they would be hindrance to my use of the mcl highway blades,, given my forward seating position and short legs. They may also increase drag and back pressure a bit. So far, I have not found engine heating on the legs to be an issue. The lowers are even pricier than the uppers,,, although both look great on the bike,,, Cat'

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
So far, I have not found engine heating on the legs to be an issue.
+1 I don't ride in the cold much so the lower kit isn't an urgent thing and will be purchased last. But I do like the way it looks and will add it eventually.

As far as making ends meet (the deflectors' not my wallet's) can you either start the mirrors' portion at the end of the windshield end and stretch them when warm around the mirror as needed? Is that an option/necessary? Would they creep back and open up a gap?

for anyone attempting to fit a lower deflector kit here is some advice.
to understand it i will refer to the top and the side. top being the large flat area that your knee points at and side of course being the smaller side of it.
if you are using a secondhand set tape the existing lines however where the deflector corners are avoid going across from the top section to the side basicly keep the tape on the top section seperate from the tape on the side section then put a small piece on side of the cover piece and position it on the bike and stick it on. on the deflector remove the tape backing fully from the side just around the cover gap. on all other tape lift a piece of the backing and fold it up or down so that it leaves a tab hanging over the edge of the deflecter.

line up the deflector over the cover piece and press on. gently pull the tabs away removing the backing from the tape underneath
if a piece is not coming out gently lift the rubber and try agin
this will give you perfect lineup easy and make a pig of a job simple.

ps did everyone drill the holes at both ends and use the pins to hold them because mine didnt come with any and i dont want them to fall off
if i have done the line up perfect im sure i can tape the cover pieces to the covers and remove and add them as one when needed

My 2003 has the full kit. Both sides of the maintenance panels came off (they had help). I bought new panels but can I buy replacements for just these short pieces? TIA.

Top Bottom