Helmets Modular Helmets

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I just acquired a Scorpion EXO-AT950.
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/scorpion-exo-at950-helmet

I wasn't really looking for a new helmet but I had tried a Voss (LS2) helmet for dual sport riding and it just didn't fit. So I got rid of it and came across the Scorpion. Tried it on and it seemed to fit pretty good. I really haven't had much of a chance to try it yet but am looking forward to it. The features that caught my eye:
- modular - pretty unique in the dual sport world
- drop down eye shade
- can take the beak off
- huge visor opening
- pinlock ready shield
- not a bad price

I will still use my Neotec for most of my riding but it is getting a little long in the tooth so I will see how this one goes.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Just an observation not an accusation or attempt to stereotype:

I walk daily and always check out the bikes that roll through the well-trafficked streets. Over the last several weeks I've seen several (12+) BMWs mostly very slick tourers as opposed to adventure type bikes. I'm sure that these were unique views and not some of the same bikes.

The thing that made me laugh was seeing what somebody else mentioned— that a lot of BMW riders (all but two in my observations) ride with the chin bar up. The weather is not particularly warm (they could have heat issued sure).

Again I'm not saying my few data points constitute a correlation or even a 'thing'— just that I find it amusing.

Bike
2000 ST1100
I love my modular lid, and will never go back to a full face. I also wear one of those thin do-rag helmet liners. I leave my specs on while i put the helmet on an take it off. I think the helmet must fit well, if it does, you'll like it regardless of it's configuration. Chunk.

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
I've been using the HJC Symax helmet for about 15 years. Good helmet, decent price, internal visor and not too noisy.

When I replace it I'll be checking out this site I've become aware of as the Symax doesn't seem to score very high. https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/hjc-sy-max-3/
Don't let those stats dissuade you from trying the SYMAX III. I just went from a full face HJC to the SYMAX III. Taking a little time to break it in and getting used to it but lovin it so far.

Attachments

Bike
2002 ST1100
I started wearing a modular when I started riding my Gold Wing with my wife. Benefits include:
1. I can flip it up to take a drink or eat something while under way. (Nice with the morning coffee when traveling) I know that some think this is dangerous, but I think it evens out with staying hydrated, etc.
2. I can flip it up when I am stopped for fuel, instead of taking it all the way off, or leaving it on but closed. I get more air, less constricted view, etc.
3. I find it very handy when going through a drive through (Bank, food, guard gate) or talking to someone nearby, as they can hear me better (pedestrian, car driver) (Civil communications, not that other kind that involves sign language)
4. It is easier to put on, with or without glasses. ( I have them, but mostly wear contacts with sunglasses)

I started with a modular with an internal sun visor, but the last one I purchased, I didn't bother. I like wearing sunglasses anyway, and the price difference is a factor.
Currently I wear a Bilt Demon Modular.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
Don't let those stats dissuade you from trying the SYMAX III. I just went from a full face HJC to the SYMAX III. Taking a little time to break it in and getting used to it but lovin it so far.
I have the same hi viz Symax, great helmet.

As an example HJC IS-Max 2 modular seems to have the same spec, has a better overall rating and is less expensive. I'll have to do a bit of shopping around.

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/hjc-is-max-2/

Bike
2015 K1600 GTL E
2024 Miles
Oh, this is wrong on so many levels......

It's easier to smoke your cigarette with a modular helmet, just flip the lid and fire up.

You can also catch a quick one while you're filling your tank with petrol. :)
***. Are you serious?

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I've been using the HJC Symax helmet for about 15 years. Good helmet, decent price, internal visor and not too noisy.

Umm... you are aware that due to degradation of the plastics in a helmet liner they recommend you replace it every 5 years.

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
Umm... you are aware that due to degradation of the plastics in a helmet liner they recommend you replace it every 5 years.
I just replace two 13 yr old Symax and I can confirm they rot. This is my first season back after a 10 year absence and was using the helmets I had when I parked the bike. I've been a little over 5k miles this summer and was putting my helmet on when the liner separated from the shell. The internal rivets holding them broke at the plastic casings and about a half-dozen of them fell out along with a screw.

Got new helmets a few days later.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
I had the first one too long and the second was purchased in 2012, so it's just at the 5 year mark now. Probably replace it next season.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
I had the first one too long and the second was purchased in 2012, so it's just at the 5 year mark now. Probably replace it next season.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I was going to comment on the 5 year replacement theory but I think it would end up worse than an oil or tire thread. ;)

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
paulcb... Jump in... the water is warm.....

I don't even mind oil or tire threads as long as knowledge is passed...

I never put much stock in replacing my helmets every 5 years. Until that 13 yr old Symax liner, clips and all, broke apart under the stress of me putting my head into it. I don't want to know what may have happened if I had actually gone down with a head bang.

I would certainly hope that the industry has come as far in components as they have in technology. Wouldn't we think it may be extended out a bit past 5 years by now?

Better question... Anyone know the backstory of how the 5 year replaement was inititated. I would hope testing was involved.... but this it the interenet.... we don't need no stinkin' testing.... :rocket1:

Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #
So we do know from the testing of Dale that they should be replace before 13 years. I had a helmet many years ago from 1976. When I sold the bike I kelp it because it was the one that the passenger used . It was only used a couple a times. We moved a few times thru the years and this helmet never got unpacked from a moving box. I thought it had been sold or given away many years earlier. So one day in the garage we started going thru a number of boxes. I came across a helmet 18 years later. The liner and exterior still looked great. So I put it on. When I started to take it off the liner stayed put on my head. 18 years is to long . Even if you don't use them they still go bad.

Bike
2006 ST non abs
Time for me to jump in here. In the past 15 months I've "crash tested" two HJC SY-IIIs. Both low side get offs at 50mph. The helmets did their job with the chin bars both staying locked in place. The rest of my gear did its job too. I've both a third one now that I'm back riding. I recommend them.

Last edited:

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Time for me to jump in here. In the past 15 months I've "crash tested" two HJC SY-IIIs. Both low side get offs at 50mph. The helmets did their job with the chin bars both staying locked in place. The rest of my gear did its job too. I've both a third one now that I'm back riding. I recommend them.
Now keep the rubber side down! :duck:

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
WOW, we all appreciate your commitment to real life crash testing, but I'm really OK just reading the online test reports.

Top Bottom