Helmets Modular Helmets

Bike
ST1300
I had one that survived the crash test. I would add that in the summer I can get a drink. Also my modular has drop down shades that I love. But that is probably avaiable in a wrap around.

Bike
R1200rt
don't see where it says DOT or Snell rated? But I could just be missing it. I do have an appointment next month with the eye doc.

I looked at the SHARP rating (testing from the UK?), 57% of the time the helmet managed to stay closed when impacted. Hmmm...
I'll prefer a helmet that at least get hit's to the 90%, prefer 100%.
My face not yours, so YMMV. Its one of the better modular helmets out there.. Its my head not yours[h=2]Summary[/h]A well-built, SHARP 5 star safety rated (maximum) flip-up helmet that’s popular with owners. Open face only good up to about 50mph before things get noisy and it is noisier than many full faced crash helmets. If you want a flip-up though, this has some great features.

• Sharp 5 Star safety rating
  • Weight – 1.8 Kg
  • Injected thermoplastic shell
  • Integrated sun visor & anti fog visor
  • Fully washable interior
  • Great for glasses-wearers
  • Sizes XS to XL
  • Expect to pay ?250-?270 (?300-?400 for pro carbon version)
Shark Evoline Series 3

[h=2]Safety[/h]The Evoline 3 has been ECE approved for sale in the EU and was the first flip-up crash helmet to receive dual homologation. That means it was tested and approved to be worn with the chin guard up as an open face helmet and with the chin guard down as a full face helmet. Not all modulars are.

Highway STar

Jock of all trades
Site Supporter
Bike
2012 Victory Vision
STOC #
I went from a Shark full-face to a Shoei Neotec modular. It is definitely noisier but like Dennis I too now wear earplugs anyway. I also wear eyeglasses and find it easier to put them on and take them off with the modular. The ability to raise it and interact with clerks and such is an advantage and it is comfortable enough that I can leave it on while gassing up and for other short stops, like asking directions....:confused: My first full-face helmet was a Bell Star and it was a chore to get my glasses on and off with it. If your glasses are too flexible to put on while helmeted they would likely come off in a collision anyway. Been down once with the Star but not with the modular on. And I plan to keep it that way by riding smart. If I was racing or riding more aggressively I might feel more inclined to have a full-face on, but I feel comfortable that the Shoei will perform adequately given the need. One thing my next helmet will have is the sunscreen. I have photogrey lenses in my glasses but even they are not up to riding directly into the setting sun.

If you try one, do let us know what you think.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I wear a High-Viz HJC IS max 2. Sharp helmet test shows it stayed closed 100% of the time
I had an HJC SY-Max. Liked it and it managed to stay closed when a bad cage driver gave me unwanted assistance in totaling out my '04 ST. Happily the helmet stayed closed. I didn;'t trust the padding after that and donated it to the local fire-house for drills.

My current brain protection, Nolan 104, I see also achieves a 100% staying closed rating.

That is an absolute requirement I would think for modular. Why have ideas of false protection? I don't wear a modular hoping it will help protect. Convenience of being able to raise it for identification or comfort while re-fueling, is nice. But if it won't stay closed, nope, just buy a 3/4 helmet.

Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
I went modular because I wear glasses and it was an order of magnitude easier to don and doff a modular than a full face.

It is still fully compliant with all safety standards.

I never ride with the chin bar up but it is very handy to flip it up at gas stops and such for a quick breather.
+1 Very rarely ride with the bar up, maybe in stop and go traffic on a hot day

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I am very happy with my Shark Evoline 3st,, after 2 full seasons. It can be a bit tight on the forehead,,, as it was has a euro fit designed into it. I normally take a size L,,, but am considering getting an XL liner for the upcoming season. I have also installed a bluetooth unit c/w boom mic,,, and it works fine. I ride with the chin bar stowed %90 of the time,, as the large face shield gives 3/4 coverage. The internal sun screen works very smoothly, when needed. Optics are excellent. Mine is full white,, which reflects a lot of summer heat. Cat'

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
tmills said:
so I took the plunge and ordered one.
Well if you've got a $60 head... :rofl1: I see that there's a yellow version and that it has a drop-down tinted shield. I'll check out the local CG for fitment and stock tomorrow.

Thanks for the link! I still want another Neotec but this deal looks tough to pass up.

EDIT: Sold out online. Probably slim pickens at the B&M.

Last edited:
Bike
2015 FJR1300A
I went modular because I wear glasses and it was an order of magnitude easier to don and doff a modular than a full face.

I never ride with the chin bar up but it is very handy to flip it up at gas stops and such for a quick breather.
x2: Forget to remove glasses just 1 time when taking a FF helmet off....and you'll be shopping for a modular ( and likely new glasses too!...I know I had to :) )

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
so I took the plunge and ordered one. https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/bilt-apollo-helmet At that price it's worth a shot
I went to a local Cycle Gear and they had no stock but were able to order one. I'll have it in a few days.

Another Neotec is on the list but with the 1 Jan price hike I have to save some pennies for awhile before handing over a stack of cash. With no motorcycle show in the area anymore discounts/sales will be scarce.

Thanks for the [-]fish[/-] link!

Last edited:
Bike
2000 ST1100
STOC #
I went to a local Cycle Gear and they had no stock but were able to order one. I'll have it in a few days.

Another Neotec is on the list but with the 1 Jan price hike I have to save some pennies for awhile before handing over a stack of cash. With no motorcycle show in the area anymore discounts/sales will be scarce.

Thanks for the [-]fish[/-] link!
I ordered mine online too hopefully it finds its way to Canada soon ✌

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bike
R1200rt

+1 with glasses . I would not like using a open face in rain or cold weather. That's why modular are better suited for touring, kind of a multi purpose helmet. Love mine.

STOC #
I only need my glasses to read... and I hate having to shove the earpieces inside the helmet, just to read the phone or something while riding... so I got two pair of these for $19.99:

ThinOptics.jpg
I can just stick them on my nose... read my phone... and shove them back when I'm done.

ThinOptics

Jim

STOC #
By the way... my preferred Modular Helmet is the Nolan N104.
Best helmet I've ever owned.

Nolan N104 Tech.jpg

Stuck the Sena 10R on the outside:

Mic in use.jpg

Excellent Helmet.

Jim

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Jim thanks for that link I just ordered 2 pairs of those and got a military discount as well great deal will be good to keep on the bike.

STOC #
Cool.

Yeah, I saw them at my local Safeway, but by ordering them online you get two pair for the price of one.
Just wish they provided two holders in the deal.

Jim

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Learned something new about my Shark Evoline 3st tonight. They say that when your helmet starts to smell worse than your boots,,, it's time to make some changes. When I saw a couple of replacement liners listed on Ebay,,, I ordered one. But the really good news is that,,, when I started to remove the old original liner,, I found this 2"x 4" x 1/4 thick piece of dense foam rubber glued to the crush foam,,, right in the forehead area. This is what has been giving me Klingon cranial ridges for the past two years !! It came out easily,, and now my helmet smells and fits perfectly !! I am guessing that the rubber pad resizes the that area of the helmet,, in my case from a XL to a L. But now I don't seem to need a euro-oval head to get a great fit. C'mon snow,,,, melt !!! Cat'

I am very happy with my Shark Evoline 3st,, after 2 full seasons. It can be a bit tight on the forehead,,, as it was has a euro fit designed into it. I normally take a size L,,, but am considering getting an XL liner for the upcoming season. I have also installed a bluetooth unit c/w boom mic,,, and it works fine. I ride with the chin bar stowed %90 of the time,, as the large face shield gives 3/4 coverage. The internal sun screen works very smoothly, when needed. Optics are excellent. Mine is full white,, which reflects a lot of summer heat. Cat'

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
I have owned a N104 for the past 5 years. I find myself wearing it more than I do my newer Schulbreth C3 Pro.
Great helmet, plus, my GF dropped it in gravel about a week after I got it, minor damage done, so I went ahead and got that over with and I don't worry about dropping it as much!

Bike
'08 ST1300 Red
Gas stops, toll booths, controlled entry (gated communities, Military bases, certain workplaces) where ace recognition is sometimes requires all favor the modular helmet, as you can flip open for 30 seconds, without having to remove gloves, undo chin strap, etc and be on your way.

SarniaON

Brian Dunning
Site Supporter
Bike
Yamaha Tracer 9GT
STOC #
I notice the southern latitude riders seem to favor the modular. I like them for the reasons given and my HJC IS MAX 2 meets and exceeds the high priced modulars with a 100% locking closure. Try one.
After reading this thread on modular helmets, I bought an HJC IS MAX 2 as well and love it. My 3/4 Bell MAG 8 helmet was fine in the rain behind the V-Stream windscreen on my former ride, an '03 ST1300, but I found it was no good on my Stelvio NTX adventure bike with a small windscreen. The new helmet came with a pin lock insert, is easy to put on when opened up and fits well with my glasses. When riding at slow speeds in heat, high ventilation can be achieved with the drop down sun visor providing eye protection / face shield up / chin bar still locked. It's easy to talk with other riders at short stops when the chin bar is raised. Although I used to think full helmets were claustrophobic, this new helmet has completely changed my mind. +1

Top Bottom