Helmets Modular Helmets

Bike
2008 Honda ST13
I know that a lot of people have modular helmets. I am wondering what the attraction is (don't get all defensive on me.) I would think that if I was going to flip it up, I might as well just take it off thus eliminating the need for modular.

Also, why is it that the modulars are most popular with the tourers?

I have always had a SNELL approved helmet and wonder if getting the modular is worth losing that level of safety. Same goes for the built in sun shields.

Rodneypieon

Rodney
Bike
2004 ST1300A
Well I am a full face guy and I can see the advantage to flip up is for short stops like fuel so you don't have to unstrap and put it back on again. The compressing the ears to get it back on etc. I don't have one because they can't guarantee they won't open in a crash and I liked my face the way it is although some would disagree :)

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
(don't get all defensive on me.)
Look who's getting defensive. Modular helmets are convenient. There are many times you want to talk to someone or catch some fresh air that transpire much quicker than removing a helmet. Most of the time there's just no need to take the lid off.

I may remove my helmet two or three times on a ride but open the face a dozen times.

As to being more popular with tourers who knows. Maybe it's because modular isn't seen as a 'real' helmet by some riders. Sport riders might feel they need a more solid helmet than a modular. Modulars are typically noisier than one piece full face helmets so riders with no windshields might consider that. One pieces are probably stronger in many crash situations and possibly sport riders feel they're necessary safety equipment. Iwon't pretend to know any answers just offering possibilities.

For years I used a Bell Star then Shoei one-piece full face helmets. With the modular I don't feel the need to take it off most of the time like I did with the others.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Try one and see if you like it.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I enjoy riding with my Shark Evoline 3 open %75 of the time,, as we have full fairing bikes. The rest to the time I am glad I can so easily close the helmet up,, if it is cold or I just want it to be quieter. Cat'

Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #
There are modular that preformed better than full face in the crash test and the chin bars stayed closed 100%. You can do worse if you choose the wrong full face. And the higher priced helmets do not always perform better. Check out the Sharp helmet test you will be surprised. Sharp tell you how each helmet did on what part, and not like the DOT standards in which they just tell you if it passed or failed.

I notice the southern latitude riders seem to favor the modular. I like them for the reasons given and my HJC IS MAX 2 meets and exceeds the high priced modulars with a 100% locking closure. Try one.

Bike
No bike
STOC #
I notice the southern latitude riders seem to favor the modular. I like them for the reasons given and my HJC IS MAX 2 meets and exceeds the high priced modulars with a 100% locking closure. Try one.
Your Calvin&Hobbes avatar is awesome!

I'm enjoying this modular discussion! I have been wondering about them for a while and this has helped me realize their advantage, I was also thrilled to learn about the sharp helmet test and will consult before my next helmet purchase, I'm scarred to look up my current model, the HJC's are all over the board on ratings....

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I went modular because I wear glasses and it was an order of magnitude easier to don and doff a modular than a full face.

It is still fully compliant with all safety standards.

I never ride with the chin bar up but it is very handy to flip it up at gas stops and such for a quick breather.

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300 / XL1000V
Try a Schuberth flip helmet (C3 etc), if your head shape fits it you won't wear any other helmet again....
Also note most helmets have only one chipstrap mounting per side, not Schuberth though they use two so the chipstrap can't pull forward.

Bike
06 ST1300A
STOC #
I crashed hard while wearing a modular. The left side hinge was completely torn off the helmet but the helmet chin bar remained down and latched. I don't see how a full face could have done a better job. IMG_3068.jpg

STOC #
I have been wearing a modular helmet for about 4 years now and will never go back to a full-face one piece helmet. A modular is just so much easier to put on or take off. I had always found putting on a one-piece helmet to cause a fair bit of discomfort to my ears and this is no longer an issue. It is also easier to put on my prescription glasses with the modular chin bar in the up position. I find my current modular helmet to be very comfortable and typically just open the chin bar when going in to pay for gas.

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
I love my Schuberth C3 Pro Hi-Viz modular helmet. Very comfortable and very quiet. Modular helmet is easier to put on and very convenient to flip up at gas stops.

Bike
2005 ST1300
My modular Shoei Neotec is a good helmet but it is about as quiet and comfortable as my Scorpion EXO 900 (modular as well).

Both are noisier than my full face Scorpion.

Modular is my choice for the combo of safety & convenience.

I will admit I leave the chin bar flipped up more than I should when riding in town at speeds under 40. Anything above 40 the wind catches it to remind me to shut it.

The drop down sunglasses are my favorite feature. No more sore ears or hassle putting sunglasses on/off.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I also use a C3 and love it I will not wear a Snell approved helmet their testing is done differently than DOT and CE There is a site that explains it all I don't remember where I like the modular because I can drink and eat on the fly this helps when doing an IBA ride but you should wear what makes you comfortable.

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
Modular for me. Last year on our Colorado trip having the ability to flip up the chin bar made it easy to get a drink while riding. The boss on the back seat is in control of the cup mounted on her armrest. I could flip up the chin bar and have her hand me the cup or even just ice cubes out of the cup.

motofisch

(Scott)
Bike
2006 ST1300
+1 to all the positive comments on modular helmets. Easy on/off especially beneficial for those that wear glasses. And they're easily opened when fueling up or speaking to other riders at a stop. When the heat is high and the traffic is crawling, having the front open is literally a breath of fresh air. I don't suppose I'll wear any other type of helmet again.

I purchased my 2nd modular helmet yesterday. I haven't had a chance to use it yet. I am hoping it is quieter than my Fulmer M1. There are so many variables that can produce turbulence and have an effect on wind noise that I am not ready to blame it solely on the fact that the helmet is a of a modular design.

Bike
07 ST1300
I like my Neotec as well. Plus walking into a store or gas station with the helmet flipped up frightens the attendant much less.
On and off is very easy too.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Everyone has their reasons for going to a modular or not going to one.

My main reason is that I get motion sickness anytime I'm on a tight curvy road. I flip it up and I get air! Something I could never do with a full face helmet.

My first full faced helmet was a ole Bell Star II. An Orange one! Before that I had open face with a small shield on a visor and windshield to keep the bugs and wind off.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
I have been wearing modular helmets for touring since Nolan came out with the N100 in the late 1990s. Three reasons:

1. I wear glasses. You do not have to take them on and off when removing or fitting into a modular.
2. Convenience, especially when filling up, stopped to carry on a conversation, getting a drink, whatever.
3. Touring, makes it much easier to take pictures.

My current modular is a Schulbreth C3 Pro, love it. My old Nolan N104 is also a good helmet. These two and the Shoei Neotech are all great choices.

Top Bottom