Helmets Modular Helmets

JQL

Growing old disgracefully :)
Bike
NT700VA
My first helmet was a Bell Star full face. It used to hurt my ears putting it on and taking it off, otherwise it was, in my opinion, an excellent helmet. I wore it for over 10 years and used it as my second helmet for another 10.

My second helmet was a AGV full face. Beautiful to look at but a pain to wear. After about an hour I had blinding headaches. I managed a year or so with it.

I did have a couple of other helmets but can't remember anything about them at all.

I then moved to Modular. Why?
  • Ease of putting on and taking off. No more hurt ears.
  • Easy to put on and take off my glasses - yes, age had caught up with me.
  • Stopped at the lights, you can open it for fresh air and close it easily as the lights change.
  • You don't have to take it off when filling with petrol or on the forecourt. I do take it off when entering a shop or to pay as a courtesy.
  • You can have a drink easily from a glass, bottle or can.
  • You can talk to people more easily
  • The list goes on...
My 1st modular was a Nolan. Very nice though somewhat noisy after full face helmets. Their Bluetooth system is brilliant. The ventilation wasn't perfect - chilly in winter and too warm in summer. One of the vents subsequently broke. Having said that, I would have no hesitation in recommending the Nolan range.

My 2nd modular helmet was a Schuberth C3. This was and is an amazing helmet. By a country mile more comfortable than any other helmet I've ever worn or tried on. Slightly noisier than a full face helmet. Ventilation is beyond amazing: warm in winter, cool in summer (-20C to +40C). Their SRCS Bluetooth system is very good. Machine washable interior.

My 3rd modular helmet is the Schuberth C3 Pro 2016 (Yes, there are differences in the year models). It is quieter than a lot of full face helmets and is, at time of writing, the quietest modular helmet available today. It's as comfortable if not slightly more comfortable than the C3. It's also lighter and slightly smaller. Ventilation really works well. Their SRCS Bluetooth system is very good with improved antenna and much better reception than the C3. Machine washable interior. I want it's babies which speaks volumes.

Schuberth provide helmets (full face due to the regulations) for a number of Formula 1 and NASCAR drivers and Moto GP riders.

If it fits your head and you're thinking about buying a C3 or C3 Pro (or if you must have a full face, the SR2), stop thinking, dig out the credit card and get it, you'll never regret it. Schuberth

Last edited:
Bike
Honda ST1300Abs 2006
I like to use the modular helmet but the only big drawback for me is when in face mode, it is heavy and it is unpleasant! that's what I would check before buying another! good road!
pascal

Last edited:

imsddes

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 ST1300
STOC #
Oh, this is wrong on so many levels......

It's easier to smoke your cigarette with a modular helmet, just flip the lid and fire up.

You can also catch a quick one while you're filling your tank with petrol. :)

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
I also use a C3 and love it I will not wear a Snell approved helmet their testing is done differently than DOT and CE There is a site that explains it all I don't remember where I like the modular because I can drink and eat on the fly this helps when doing an IBA ride but you should wear what makes you comfortable.
Hey Steve, does your phone or keyboard have any punctuation buttons?:angdev1:

Skip

Bike
07 ST1300
Everyone has their reasons for going to a modular or not going to one.

My main reason is that I get motion sickness anytime I'm on a tight curvy road. I flip it up and I get air! Something I could never do with a full face helmet.

My first full faced helmet was a ole Bell Star II. An Orange one! Before that I had open face with a small shield on a visor and windshield to keep the bugs and wind off.

Bell Star baby!
Mine were always white.

Bike
2005 ST1300
Only ever owned modular and I ride both a cruiser and my ST. My first one was "Arrow" brand that I bought off of Ebay, it worked well and could convert to an open face. I replaced that with a Nolan N102 that I used for several years. I had to replace the Nolan because I could not find a replacement liner for it as the helmet was so old. Great helmet though.

I bought a Shoei Neotec a few weeks ago that is a very good and comfortable helmet. It's pretty quiet but louder than my Nolan was. At around the same time I was in Cyclegear and they had a clearance on helmets so I picked up a Bilt brand modular reduced from $199 to $44 in hi-viz yellow. I bought it as a "backup" helmet. The Bilt is as quiet as the Shoei and also, like the Shoei, has a built in sunvisor that drops down.

For me, I never liked the sensation of putting on a full-face helmet, they always make me feel a little claustrophobic. With the modular, I find it's easier to get on and off and I can flip it up at a light or keep it up if I'm riding in hot weather.

Bike
2010 ST1300
For me, I never liked the sensation of putting on a full-face helmet, they always make me feel a little claustrophobic. With the modular, I find it's easier to get on and off and I can flip it up at a light or keep it up if I'm riding in hot weather.
Been wondering why nobody has said this until post 28. Yes, I feel claustrophobic in a full face hat, and it takes a bit of time to wear the feeling off. Regardless of the helmet brand or style, I've often had my ear plugs wiped off or dislodged when I put the hat on. Solved that by wearing a very light skull cap - looks like one of those blue bandana 'do rags'. Keeps the sweat off the liner too.

I too am a Schuberth C3 guy - thanks JQL for the comments about the pro. I'll be getting a new hat in a year or two, and I'll give the pro a whirl.

Bike
2015 K1600 GTL E
Went with Bell Revolver. Mainly, so I could the Transitions shield. It's great changes to dark in the sun. Barley use the internal sun shade.

Bike
2005 ST1300
Nolan 104 and absolutely love it. I have to admit though I never ride with it up unless I'm getting water from my hydration pack or itching my nose. :D

JQL

Bike
NT700VA
As I understand it, you can ride with the Nolan's open. It's one of the reasons the Police use them in France.

It's a different story with the Schuberth. The Manual specifically states that you must not ride with it open.

As an aside. I recently replaced the visor of my C3 and it cost over 100€ ($150) for both the visor and the pinlock insert. The reason it seems, is that the visor and pinlock are pretty close to being optically perfect.

Bike
04 ST
STOC #
I am riding with a scorpion 900 with drop down internal sunvisor. It was afforadable. I am not convinced the fit is great but it is adequate. I think it may be noisier than others but I now wear earplugs always. I did have 1 very scary experience that no one seems to have mentioned. I sometimes ride with the chin bar up when it's hot and in town at low speeds. Was approaching a redlight with stopped cars in front and instinctively reached up to pull the helmet forward a bit on my head. Hit the raised chin bar instead and pulled it out of the detent and blocked my vision 100%. I am very careful with it now. As a safety feature I believe these bars should lock in the upper position and require release with chin button to drop, just as they do to raise. My next helmet will be a modular as well.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
Was approaching a redlight with stopped cars in front and instinctively reached up to pull the helmet forward a bit on my head.
Does your helmet move on your head while riding?

I like the modular helmets as well and don't think I will go back to a normal full face.

Gerhard

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST 1300
STOC #
I too went with a Bell Revolver last year. It is far noisier than my open face, 3/4 helmet. So it's a matter of ear-plugs or mp-3 player. I love the internal visor and the ability to just raise the chin-bar for refueling. I also started with a Star full face in 79. Only three color choices back then, orange-black, or white. It's still in the garage...

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
It's easier to smoke your cigarette with a modular helmet, just flip the lid and fire up.
LOL! :lol:
+1...
Even while rolling through roadwork zones with speed limits of 50mph and below...
Now with vaping equipment though... :-D
Still confuses the fool out of folks...

My first "convertible" helmets were GPA ISR, loved them (not a flip front, the chin bar splits and slides to the sides... very convenient design)
Then went through a set of Nolan N101/2's
Now I'm on Shoei Multitec & Neotec...

JQL

Bike
NT700VA
I've tried the Shoei range a number of times. The last being at the Paris Moto Show in November. It ripped my glasses off my head when I put it on even though it was the right size. I couldn't get my glasses back on with the helmet on.

Nice helmets but I just don't have a Shoei shaped head.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
It ripped my glasses off my head when I put it on even though it was the right size.
Wrong order: glasses off, helmet on, glasses back on... ;-)

But the Nolan might not be ideal for wearing glasses; the Multitec has significant grooves for the side-pieces, a basic feature one should look for in helmets, even if its only for occasionally putting shades/sunglasses on...
Also the design of the frame, the side-pieces in particular, must meed the requirements for being worn under a motorcycle helmet.
Plastic legs are too thick, classic wire ones (like on aviator designs) are just right, titan-flex again too thin and flexing.

My optometrist gave me a grin over entering the store carrying my Shoei and pointed straight to the rack with the shades :cool:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've tried the Shoei range a number of times. The last being at the Paris Moto Show in November. It ripped my glasses off my head when I put it on even though it was the right size. I couldn't get my glasses back on with the helmet on.

Nice helmets but I just don't have a Shoei shaped head.
That's too bad. When I've shopped helmets since 2005 the differences between visors and the visor operating mechanisms of Shoei and Schuberth have convinced me each time to go with a Multitec and two Neotecs. I bring my helmet to the optometrist when I buy glasses so the frames fit in the helmet.

I can't take off or put on a helmet when wearing my glasses. If I could the helmet fit would be too large.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I tried that once when I first got my Multitec. Same experience as yours. But the beauty of a modular is putting it on then put on your glasses then close the face. Just reverse the order when removing the helmet: open the face take off your glasses remove the helmet.

The Multitec and now Neotec fit my head well but when donning and doffing I do pull the straps out a little to get it past the ears more smoothly. A helmet liner helps with that too.

Top Bottom