Helmets Modular Helmets

JQL

Growing old disgracefully :)
Bike
NT700VA
Originally Posted by JQL
It ripped my glasses off my head when I put it on even though it was the right size.
Wrong order: glasses off, helmet on, glasses back on...
I couldn't get my glasses back on with the helmet on - very thin wire frames, they just kept bending.

Without the glasses, the helmet didn't fit the shape of my head. I just don't have a Shoei shaped head.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I couldn't get my glasses back on with the helmet on - very thin wire frames, they just kept bending.
I had exactly the same issue with every full-face helmet I tried regardless of brand. It is not acceptable to have to engage in a frustrating wrestling match each and every time I want to doff or don the helmet.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
So why not first seek a helmet with really go fit and then get a pair of dedicated riding glasses with slightly stiffer frame and side-pieces, suitable to be stuck inside the helmet?

My Silhouette Titan-Flex frame is very lightweight and convenient for desk-work, but will not go into any helmet with those soft, thin legs...

I got optical sunglasses fitted into a classic, smaller aviator style frame, which fits perfectly without causing any sore pressure points on the scull (or nose bridge) nor hinder closing the front piece of the Shoei.

STOC #
LS2 came out in 2013 with the FF394 Epic modular that was Snell 2010 certified. There are also a number of open-faced helmets that are Snell approved...
I really like the ability to raise and lower the sunshade as I enter tunnels or canopy tree shaded areas. Ease of putting on withwhile wearing eye glasses is another plus.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
... the helmet didn't fit the shape of my head. I just don't have a Shoei shaped head.
You might need to wear the helmet for three hours a day for the next 10 years and then you'll find your head will fit a Shoei just fine!...;)

JQL

Growing old disgracefully :)
Bike
NT700VA
So why not first seek a helmet with really go fit and then get a pair of dedicated riding glasses with slightly stiffer frame and side-pieces, suitable to be stuck inside the helmet?

My Silhouette Titan-Flex frame is very lightweight and convenient for desk-work, but will not go into any helmet with those soft, thin legs...

I got optical sunglasses fitted into a classic, smaller aviator style frame, which fits perfectly without causing any sore pressure points on the scull (or nose bridge) nor hinder closing the front piece of the Shoei.
I've got 2 helmets that do the job. The best is the Schuberth C3 Pro. No need to remove my glasses so no need for riding glasses; doesn't hurt my ears when putting it on or taking it off; Built in sun visor; and the most comfortable helmet I've ever had! Both beat the Shoei hands down for me.

I also have the Schuberth C3 as well as the C3 Pro. The C3 Pro is quieter - it is the quietest modular on the market today, slightly lighter, more comfortable, warm in winter and cool in summer. I want it's babies it's that good. :)

Schuberth 2. Shoei NIL!

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
I wear a Shoei Neotec and love it. I usually only flip up when crawling in traffic, just to get some fresh air in. I use glasses too, and usually ride with the sun visor down. It is noisy than a regular full-face helmet, and I use earplugs. I also have a cheapo intercom which was easy to fit (yes, earplugs and intercom).
My main benefit is pulling up at Canadian / USA immigration. I can flip it up and they are generally happy, my wife has to take her non-modular Shoei off which means taking off gloves too...

Bike
2015 K1600 GTL E

Good to see people thinking about their lifestyle when picking out eyeglasses. Sometimes you need a dedicated pair for the task. Note, I am Optician by trade. Remember what your Dad said, "Get the right tool for the job".

I'm on my second modular helmet. My first was the Bell Revolver that others have mentioned here. I thought it was a nice looking helmet, but damn was it noisy! Also, the peripheral and all-around vision wasn't nearly as good as my old Airoh dual sport helmet that I had for years. After reading about the great all around vision of the Nolan N104, I bought one and have been very happy with it.

I'm wearing a modular for all the reasons others have mentioned. My primary reason is glasses. Non-modular helmets are just a pain in the arse when dealing with glasses. With my Airoh helmet, after a long day of many helmet removals, I would find that I would actually create slight tears in my skin where my ears meet my head. Not real noticeable until hitting the shower & having the soap find the tears. :eek:

Back to the Nolan. I apparently have a round head, because the helmet was narrow for me around the ears, while fitting properly around the crown of my head. I ended up taking the liner out and grinding some of the foam out at the locations of the tight spots, and the helmet fits great now. It does allow great peripheral and all around vision. I sure do miss the visor of my Airoh helmet though! It's much quieter than the Bell helmet, and has has a great selection of spare parts. I does not have the transitions shield option of the Bell though. I was heading in that direction before deciding to get the Nolan. I love the ability to ride with the face of the helmet open occasionally, but don't do it that often. My wife always teases me about how I look with the face up. Beauty is said to be in the eyes of the beholder, and neither of us have found any beauty in this look. ;)

Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
Had a Nolan N102 for six years before replacing it with an Arai Signet-Q. Both are great helmets but the Arai fits my head perfectly and is substantially lighter and quieter. Ear plugs go in anytime that I'm riding over 30 miles or if I'm using my com system or listening to MP3 tunes. There are many really good modular and full face helmets today. Find one that fits you and that's comfortable for YOU enjoy the ride!

Randy4697

Randy W McNaught
Bike
2008 ST-1300A
I have been using HJC modular helmets for about 8 years. Because I wear glasses, I feet they are easier to put on/take off with glasses in place. Modular lids are supposed to be nosier than a full face because of seams/joints (I do wear disposable ear plugs). It is nice to be able to flip it up at a gas station or to exchange a few words with another rider.
I see some riders using them in town/city with the bar up. My question would be....Are they still DOT/SNELL/ECE compliant when used in the "UP" position? I read somewhere, that a modular helmet that does NOT have a metal locking mechanism is not compliant, if used in the open position.
Does anyone have the information on that?

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Are they still DOT/SNELL/ECE compliant when used in the "UP" position? I read somewhere, that a modular helmet that does NOT have a metal locking mechanism is not compliant, if used in the open position.
Does anyone have the information on that?
I think there was one of the Exo helmets and one other (European something) that were claimed by the manufacturer to be used in either position.

But nothing else has been rated that I am aware of.

Bike
2003 ST1300
I wish someone made a "long-oval" shaped modular hat like the Arai Profile/Signet Q--Any other helmet I wear, I get a red mark on my (bald) cranium--I even sanded out some of the styrofoam on two older helmets, but was never comfortable. I discovered the Arai long-oval, and have had to spend about $700 on my last two. I have a reallllly long-oval-shaped skull, it's good for cutting watermelons.

Bike
2004 Honda ST
jmcarruth, I had a shoei neotech and it was just to noisy for me. How does the c3 pro compare?

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
jmcarruth, I had a shoei neotech and it was just to noisy for me. How does the c3 pro compare?
No first hand comparison but my buddy says the C3 Pro is quieter than the Neotech. I can tell you for sure that it is much quieter than a Nolan N104 on any of my bikes.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Last edited:
Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #
I wear a High-Viz HJC IS max 2. Sharp helmet test shows it stayed closed 100% of the time and was better in the crash test than helmets two and three times it's price. I think there may have been a couple that preformed as well and only two that preformed better. The IS Max 2 has a different fit than most HJC helmets with a better fit for oval shaped heads. I ordered it and the measurement from the sizing chart was right on. My last HJC gave me a head ache, this one does not and I have had it on my head all day many times now. High-Viz was hard to find in this model but they are out there. Most places do not even offer them with that color. Great fit and if helmets had a indefinite shelf life I would have purchased two.

Bike
R1200rt
I don't see where it says DOT or Snell rated? But I could just be missing it. I do have an appointment next month with the eye doc.

I looked at the SHARP rating (testing from the UK?), 57% of the time the helmet managed to stay closed when impacted. Hmmm...
I'll prefer a helmet that at least get hit's to the 90%, prefer 100%.
My face not yours, so YMMV.
Shark Evoline 3 ST Helmet - Solids The Shark Evoline 3 ST is a modular helmet that truly and safely transforms from a full face to an open face helmet in one easy upward motion. We have all seen people with modular helmets cruising around with the chin bar in the upright position. It is a natural desire to want more airflow on a hot summer day. Virtually every other modular helmet on the market is not engineered to absorb an impact with the chin bar in the open position however the Evoline 3 ST accomplishes just that. Evoline 3 ST owners can enjoy the comforts of an open face helmet around town then drop the chin bar for added protection before entering a highway. In addition to the inherent versatility, the Evoline 3 ST is packed with creature comforts like a CoolMax liner and a drop down internal sun shield.
Great for long distance riding, inner city commuting and anything in between, the Shark Evoline 3 ST offers riders an unrivaled level of comfort, protection and freedom.
Note: The Evoline has a fairly round internal shape. It is ideal for people who need more ear and temple room but conversely it is less suitable for people who need more room in the forehead area.
[h=3]Improvements to the Series 3 include:[/h]
  • Easier manipulation of the chinbar thanks to the Auto-Up system. The unique motion of the Evoline remains unchanged and has become even more natural with the Series 3
  • The Auto-Up system has been simplified - chinbar and main shield are now united in a single movement.
  • Fabrics, finish and style. The interior of the Evoline Series 3 has been totally redesigned and is softer, better and more comfortable.
  • Brand new ventilation design fore and aft.
  • Overall lower weight has been decreased by approximately 200 grams.
[h=3]Features:[/h]
  • Lexan Polycarbonate shell
  • Shark Easy Fit system for comfortable use with glasses
  • Sharktooth ready
  • Integrated drop down sun shield
  • Removable and washable CoolMax liner
  • DOT approved

4.2 / 5
Read all 183 reviews
Write a review

Bang For The Buck

4.8 / 5

Protection & Durability

4.5 / 5

Features

4.8 / 5

Comfort

4.2 / 5

Style

5 / 5

Air Flow

3.5 / 5

Fit

Small

Large

Shape

Narrow

Round

Weight

Light

Heavy

Vision

Narrow

Wide

Noise Level

Quiet

Loud

[h=2]Shark Helmet Sizing[/h]Convert to Inches
Size Head (cm)
XS 53-54
SM 55-56
MD 57-58
LG 59-60
XL 61-62
2XL 63-64
Sizing information is provided by the manufacturer and does not guarantee a perfect fit.
[h=4]How To Measure[/h]

H Head Wrap a cloth measuring tape around your head just above your eyebrows and ears. Pull the tape comfortably snug, read the length, repeat for good measure and use the largest measurement.

Product StyleRevZilla Item #Manufacturer Product #Availability
Black / LG836027HE9250DBLKL/In Stock: Ships within 24 hours
Black / MD836026HE9250DBLKM/In Stock: Ships within 24 hours
Black / SM836025HE9250DBLKS/In Stock: Ships within 24 hours
Black / XL836028HE9250DBLKXL/In Stock: Ships within 24 hours
Black / XS836024HE9250DBLKXS/In Stock: Ships within 24 hours
Matte Black / LG836052HE9255DKMALOut of Stock
Matte Black / MD836051HE9255DKMAMIn Stock: Ships within 24 hours
Matte Black / SM836050HE9255DKMASIn Stock: Ships within 24 hours
Matte Black / XL836053HE9255DKMAXLOut of Stock
Matte Black / XS836049HE9255DKMAXSAvailable: Requires 3-5 business days lead time prior to shipment
White / LG836042HE9250DWHUL/Out of Stock
White / MD836041HE9250DWHUM/In Stock: Ships within 24 hours
White / SM836040HE9250DWHUS/In Stock: Ships within 24 hours
White / XL836043HE9250DWHUXL/Out of Stock
White / XS836039HE9250DWHUXS/Only 2 Left: Ships within 24 hours
Silver / LG836037HE9250DSLVL/Out of Stock: Expected to ship this Spring
Silver / XL836038HE9250DSLVXL/Out of Stock: Expected to ship this Spring

Shipping
Orders $39.99 and over qualify for our fast free shipping offer. Click Here for FREE Shipping Terms and Conditions.
Please see our International Orders page for orders shipping outside the US.
We show real-time availability on this product page when you select the size/color item you want. Most items will ship the same business day an order is placed,however if an item requires additional processing time a message will be shown indicating such.
See our full Shipping Policy for further details.
Returns
If your order arrives and it is not right, we will we'll fix it, NO NONSENSE, we promise.
Doesn't fit or just not happy with it? You can return any new, unused and unaltered item within 30 business days of delivery receipt of your item. We will issue a full refund to your original payment method.
See our full Return Policy for all of the pertinent details.

Bike
R1200rt
I don't see where it says DOT or Snell rated? But I could just be missing it. I do have an appointment next month with the eye doc.

I looked at the SHARP rating (testing from the UK?), 57% of the time the helmet managed to stay closed when impacted. Hmmm...
I'll prefer a helmet that at least get hit's to the 90%, prefer 100%.
My face not yours, so YMMV.
Just used link for picture Lexan Polycarbonate shell Shark Easy Fit system for comfortable use with glasses
Sharktooth ready
Integrated drop down sun shield
Removable and washable CoolMax liner
DOT approved
shark is a common helmet at most online stores

Top Bottom