ST1300 Seat Position Preference

Bike
2006 ST1300
My recent return to owning a ST1300 brings back an old debate I had before. I have added the helibar gen3 riser to help reduce the wrist load while riding. I also raised the seat to the highest position to help with my long legs. However, raising the seat puts me back to leaning on my wrists a little. I would like to hear some experiences of taller ST1300 riders and what you may have done to help your riding position and comfort. I am interested in your opinions if you are a 6 feet tall long legged rider.

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
I'm 5' 11", or at least I was in my youth :), and have a 34" inseam. The MCL risers were installed by the PO and I have the seat in the highest position in the front bracket, but the second from highest in the rear, to reduce sliding forward during braking. I sit pretty upright, perhaps partially due to the seat position (?) and don't have any noticeable weight on my wrists.

OP
OP
milkmaster
Bike
2006 ST1300
That is an option I have not thought about MajorTom. I just assumed that I had to put it in the top space both front and back. I am experiencing the feeling of sliding forward into the tank. I will try your idea tomorrow myself. This is exactly the suggestions I am hopeful for in this thread. This will be my third ST1300. I got rid of the past two for this very reason. I tried other bikes and keep coming back to the ST1300 as my favorite. I am determined to figure it out this time.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I'm 5' 11", or at least I was in my youth :), and have a 34" inseam. The MCL risers were installed by the PO and I have the seat in the highest position in the front bracket, but the second from highest in the rear, to reduce sliding forward during braking. I sit pretty upright, perhaps partially due to the seat position (?) and don't have any noticeable weight on my wrists.
+1, Front of seat in highest position, rear in the lowest position you can get. that's what I do, anyway.

STripper

Brian
Bike
2005 ST1300A
+1 again on the seat position. I bent the two "stirrups" that support the rear of the front seat toward the rear by a few degrees, allowing the rear of the front seat to rest one more "step" lower.

What follows may seem crazy, but I have chronic lower-back problems and this helps me: Stomach crunches. Your stomach muscles are what help to support your lower-back. I find that with a "toned tummy," I do not feel the need to put much, if any, weight on the handlebars. The handlebars are meant to be controls, not weight-bearing hand rests.

Bike
09 ST1300
6'6" with 35 inch inseam. I have the Russell Day Long seat, in highest position front and mid position rear. Heli Bars Gen 3. So far working for me for the last 100,000 kms, the odd time my back may get cramped. I also have the wind deflector kit on the lower fairings, and the padding it offers protects the paintwork from my knees which tend to rest on the fairing. I just test rode the 2016 FJR 1300 and was saddened to realize that my knees were resting hard against the fairings with the seat in highest position. My ST just feels like home to me..... I still have the stock seat, and put it on once in a long while to remind myself why I bought the Russell - it pushed me forward into the tank and puts a load on my wrists.

Bike
ST1300 2004
STOC #
what?
My Corbin pilot's seat is adjustable only at the front, not at the rear.

I'm 6'0" and I run the seat at the highest slot.

I took the PO's bar risers out so bars are stock.

I also have a gel seat pad and an airhawk 2 that I use on longer rides (one or the other... I have not tried the air and gel pads at the same time but I will tomorrow). These give me another 1/4" to 1/2" in height... approx.

Up front I have a tinted shorty screen that is an inch or two below eye level when it is up at the very top of the adjustment range. I run it all the way down unless I'm over 75mph and then I put it all the way up.

Works for me. I'm into SPORT touring.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I run mine in top position ( 6'1", 34" inseam), and 2nd notch in back....have to kind of jam it in. I also added driver's peg lowering devices...extended my old sore knees a bit.

Bike
07 ST1300
My favorite position for the stock seat is on the shelf. I run my sargent one up in front and xtra low in the rear. If you remove the rubber bumpers it goes a bit lower.

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
That is an option I have not thought about MajorTom. I just assumed that I had to put it in the top space both front and back. I am experiencing the feeling of sliding forward into the tank. I will try your idea tomorrow myself. This is exactly the suggestions I am hopeful for in this thread. This will be my third ST1300. I got rid of the past two for this very reason. I tried other bikes and keep coming back to the ST1300 as my favorite. I am determined to figure it out this time.
I should also have mentioned I have had the seat rebuilt by Laam, which I think has made it a bit lower and certainly more conforming to my butt's shape. However, it still needed the mounting adjustment I mentioned to reduce sliding forward, and promote a more upright riding position.

Bike
04 ST
STOC #
When I first purchased my '04 I put the seat in the lowest position and rode 1000 kilometers that weekend. Not only were my wrists very sore but my elbows and back were as well. In addition, it was a hot weekend and my legs were burning through my jeans. My knees were against the fairing. To alleviate my back pain on the way home I found myself sitting upright with finger tips just touching the throttle. I discovered the seat adjustment thread and placed the front in high and the rear in medium. Also installed the MCL riser with powerlet. Heat issue is resolved as my shins are further off the plastic. I could use a little more rearward adjustment on the bars to be 100% neutral but I don't think I can get anymore out of the cables. If you put the front of the riders seat in high position and think about bending the mid point of the seat pan up while pushing forward and down on the rear you can drive the rear of the seat into the mid position. Some muttering may be required. This will eliminate the forward slide. 6'0" 33" inseam.

woodybelle

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
I run a MCL seat riser high in the front, low in the rear. This setup finally stopped the sliding forward feeling. 6'3" with 35" inseam. 65000 mi. with all day comfort.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I tried the Middle Front/Low Back position thing but the seat started eating into the plastic at the top edge. Not knowing how far that might go and whether or not it would crack the plastic I returned the seat to the regular High position. A little tall for me but level.

I doubt the seat was ever a problem for my wrists as all pain stopped when I got the Helibar riser. If I knew how far down until the seat bottomed out I'd be tempted to cut some relief in the plastic and try it again.

Bike
2012 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I'm 6'2" 35" inseam and run the seat in the top setting. I'm also using a Sargent seat instead of the torture device...erhm...stock seat.

I also have the Helibars 3.2 riser and that combo seems to be the best for me for all day riding. The riser really addressed wrist and lower back discomfort for me. The seat fixed the PITA :).

Knee-wise, I'm just clearing the fairing with armored riding pants.

I've tried the lower settings on the seat, but they just jam my knees into the fairing.

Bike
'09 1300
STOC #
This is about the only time I appriciate my odd body proportions. I have a long upper body with short stumpy legs. Perfect for the ST. I'm all of 5'8" tall with a 28" inseam. Just right.

Bike
2005 ST1300
I'm 6'2", 34 inseam, and the ONLY thing that has made my seating comfortable on this bike, nevermind the three seats I've tried out, is the use of something to keep me from sliding around. With it, I feel planted. Without it I feel like I'm sitting on a fence with a leg on either side.

I use the tool-drawer lining material sold at Lowes. It comes precut or in a roll. It functions in the same way that carpet padding does to eliminate sliding.

I cut a piece for a test and it works like a charm. I plan to stitch a border around it and secure it with ties, but that's not essential 'cause it doesn't want to slide...

I learned this trick from someone on this board and it has changed my experience on the 1300. If you try it, I hope it works for you too.

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
Can you tell me what drivers peg lowering devices that you bought. I'm 6'2" 34" inseam and my knees hurt when riding.
These helped me a lot. Got them on eBay for $48. to much but it is what it is. I looked, the guy I bought from dose not have another. They both lowered a inch and moved about a inch outward.

Last edited:
Top Bottom