ST1300 right side headlight is out

Bike
2006 ST1300 PA ABS
I'm out in Grand Junction Colo and doing some work here for a few days but i just noticed the right side head light is out. After removing the bulb it looks ok and replace it with a back up and again no luck. I don't have any manuals with me so I'm looking for some hints. Is there any fuze that controls one side of the head lights? and is so where is it. I have never had an issue with any lights before so I'm kinda looking for some help.

Thanks for anyone posting some advise or directions.

Mantaray23

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Re: ST1300 right sid headlight is out

The fuses are located behind the left side cover, along with a bunch of relays. You have two banks of fuses and you'll have to look through to see if one of them are blown. I looked in the manual and the owner's manual and couldn't find a diagram of the fuses, but if you look though them, if one is blown, it should be apparent. There is also a possibility it is a relay, so if you don't find a bad fuse, you might have to look at those.

Good luck. Tomorrow, I'll be tearing my 2012 apart to FARKLE it, at that time I can probably figure out where the headlight fuses are.

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #

This schematic of the headlight system should help you out. But judging by your avatar it looks like you have a police model so there might be some differences.

Just for perspective, when you say right side headlight, you mean as sitting on the bike and not looking at the headlights from the front, correct???

OP
OP
Mantaray23
Bike
2006 ST1300 PA ABS

Sorry i didn't make that clear. Looking at the front of the bike looking directly at the headlights it is the right side.

Bike
2010 ST1300

So it is the Left headlight. Did you test the new headlight bulb? I've run across dead bulbs in new packages. If your tupperware is off, you can use a voltmeter on the connector to determine if the whole circuit is dead or just the low beam. The wiring diagram will make troubleshooting much easier. Never having delved into this problem (this circuit), I'm sorry I cannot help more.

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #

The High and Low beam relays run the LH ( Port side ) headlight bulb only . The Hi/Lo switch takes the current to the RH bulb and Hi & Lo relays trigger circuit(s) only , that run the LH & hi beam indicator in the dash) ( I know , it's bizarre and no reason the relays shouldn't power both bulbs like they do on my GoldWing , while taking the current load off the Hi/Lo switch)

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #

Check fuse G if you have a non ABS bike, fuse I if yours is the ABS version...

Bike
ST1300
STOC #

Scooter's post (#3) should tell you everything you need to know, unless you have an ST1300P model (I have no idea what the differences might be in the headlight circuitry).
FWIW, removing and reinstalling those relays is a real PIA. Takes a lot of patience, trust me.

It's typical to blow left headlight bulbs. I've gone through a number of them, but have never had a right headlight bulb go bad. I agree with the comment that your replacement bulb might be bad. Try exchanging the right bulb with the left bulb and see if the trouble follows. That'll tell you for sure if it's a bulb problem.

OP
OP
Mantaray23
Bike
2006 ST1300 PA ABS

i tried the bulb replacement first but i "assumed" by backup bulb is ok. I will switch the bulbs around and see if the problem follows the bulb. If it follows the bulb then thats a easy answer. The tupperware is not off and the bulb is fairly easy to get to without removing it and yes i have a ABS Police model.

Thanks for all the hints and directions I'm working on it..and i will find the answer.

Mantaray23

OP
OP
Mantaray23
Bike
2006 ST1300 PA ABS

Final update. With the help of everyone pointing me to the direction of the fuses, as i have never needed to find them... really hate to admit that but its a true fact. Anyway after reviewing the two sets of fuses and removing them i did find one blown. After replacing the fuse all is working as designed. Guess i better put my manuals out on the net so i can find them in the future. Also will have a set of backup fuses.

Thanks to everyone who assisted me with this ...... issue.

Mantaray23

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010

Guess i better put my manuals out on the net so i can find them in the future.
The Owner's Manual (not the Service Manual) is legally available free online from Honda as a pdf. I downloaded it and keep in on my phone and iPad and computer.

Bike
2010 ST1300

The Owner's Manual (not the Service Manual) is legally available free online from Honda as a pdf. I downloaded it and keep in on my phone and iPad and computer.
Great idea! Can you tell me where you found it? That would save me some time looking on Honda's website. Where did you store it on your phone? (Iphone or otherwise? - What app?)

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010

I don't remember the link but I'll take a look. I downloaded it to my computer then emailed it to my iPhone. When I opened the email I used the Share button/icon to send it to iBooks. There are probably apps that are better at navigation pdfs but iBooks is already on the phone.

EDIT: I took a quick look at Honda's site as I've been through the hoops before and the downloads section is closed for repairs (redesign actually). I'll see if I can put a copy in Drop Box and PM you a link. That will probably be later today.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mantaray23
Bike
2006 ST1300 PA ABS

update. After replacing the fuse not it blows about one a day. Not sure of what steps to proceed with to determine if its a charging issue, battery issue or something else. No additions/changes to the bike in over a year. don't have any gear to test the output of the alternator.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #

I suspect a wire chafing issue of some kind. Check out this thread for one possibility...

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #

The owners manual is only good for setting your clock! If you want any useful info on the bike you better have the service manual with you.

Top Bottom