Riding in the rain and new tires?

Bike
05 ST1300A
STOC #
Awhile ago I got new PR4 gt tires for my bike and rode it home from the shop, thinking I would be able to do 150 miles or so to scuff them in for a upcoming trip.

I didn't get the chance to do so and its my departure date, now it's raining possibly for the first 200 miles of the trip.
I don't mind riding in the rain but have never done so on new tires. It's all interstate 5 from Portland and the first 120 miles is straight, after that some turns through the hills.

I'd rather ask a dumb question than not and do something dumb. Is it better judgement to wait until tomorrow or is it okay just taking it easy for the first part of the trip and going on? I know some depends on variables like experience etc. but I welcome any input, as I honestly don't know.

I have an appointment to get some Clearwater lights Monday otherwise I wouldn't even sweat leaving a day later. Having said that I know no farkle is worth risking injury.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Ride it like you stole it. The rain will to some extent help release the preservative stuff. Your first 50 miles or so are the only ones to worry about. Enjoy the ride

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Is it better judgement to wait until tomorrow or is it okay just taking it easy for the first part of the trip and going on?
The latter, just avoid steep leaning angles and hard braking (read: maintain a greater distance to vehicles in front and back off on the throttle in turns).

JQL

Growing old disgracefully :)
Bike
NT700VA
Most of us use less than 50% of the grip of the tyre.

The problem with new tyres is the releasing agent they use. Riding in the wet will help to remove this agent more quickly but at a price of slightly less adhesion when cornering and braking. Just take it a bit more gently.

My rule of thumb is, take it a bit easier for the 1st complete tank of petrol.

Unless you're The Dr (Valentino Rossi) you won't use the full potential of the tyre.

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
I just have to ask - I haven't experienced a new tire with slippery release agent in 25 years. Has anyone else experienced it in the last couple of years? I'm not talking one slip which could have been caused by an unknown friction reducer (dried coolant, unseen oil spot, pavement colored dirt, etc). With a new tire, I ride a mile or two and then start with gentle swerves working up to hard swerves in just a few miles. If available, I like to do a couple rear tire burn outs in dirt. By five miles, I treat it like any tire I've had for awhile. It seems like liability lawyers would feast on a company that knowingly sold a tire that was slippery for some specified number of miles.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
When I picked up my 2012 last September, I rode from Portland to Sacramento, and the first 200 miles out of Portland, it was raining.

Not sure how much of that preservative stuff was still on four year old tires (with no mileage), but I didn't have any problems!
AND BTW, I just put new tires on my 2010 yesterday and rode it the 62.5 miles into work this morning, no issues...no rain either. But this weekend will be different...

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Has anyone else experienced it in the last couple of years?
Frequently... every new delivered set of G547/548 feels greasy like been covered with silicone spray...
Besides always keeping a spare set stored in the basement (so the compound has time to give off the plasticizers), I scrub the tread surface down with brake-cleaner after installation on the bike.
Even after that I still take it easy for the first one or two days with new rubbers installed.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully :)
Bike
NT700VA
It seems like liability lawyers would feast on a company that knowingly sold a tire that was slippery for some specified number of miles.
Unless you ride like Rossi it's not a problem. Most of us will never in a million years be able to ride like Rossi.

Bike
2005 BMW RT
I have always taken it a little easy for the first 20 miles or so. I do the side to side maneuver on straight roads. I have never felt loss of traction with new tires. A dealer asked me to sign a release after having tires installed.

Bike
2006 ST1300
YEARS ago, it was more of a problem. I do still take it easy for the first 50 miles or so though.

Top Bottom