Ktm 1290 super adventure

KTD1911

R.I.P. - 2020/10/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
2018 can am spyderf3
Ktm 1290 super adventure now mine :}

So I test rode a 2015 ktm 1290 super adventure bike and my local dealer has it marked down to $16,999. I am looking for a replacement for my wrecked st1300. It does not offer the wind protection of the st1300, but it does have heated seats front and rear with separate controls. Cruise control, electronic traction control, tpms, gear indicator, heated grips , power outlet.
I love all the ammenities but I am concerned about how comfortable is it while touring?

Has anyone ridden this bike as a tourer?
Thoughts and/or opinions:

Last edited:

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
There was a guy in our town with a KTM 690 Duke last year, he was really happy with the bike and had been on some longer trips with no reliability issues. He has transferred out of town now so don't know if the bike remained reliable but no reason to believe it isn't. What I remember most about the bike is the amazing sounds it produced.

Gerhard

Bike
2010 ST1300
There was a guy in our town with a KTM 690 Duke last year, he was really happy with the bike and had been on some longer trips with no reliability issues. He has transferred out of town now so don't know if the bike remained reliable but no reason to believe it isn't. What I remember most about the bike is the amazing sounds it produced.

Gerhard
I have some worries about any bike with a light dealer network. Of course, this comes from my having two Guzzi's - Ohio had one or two dealers for years and Piaggio was not aggressive in expanding the dealer network. I rebuilt both bikes, and got parts from all over the country - not inspiring when you think about the possibility of breaking down far from home and needing two widgets. Fortunately the old bikes could usually be fixed with electrical tape and baling twine.

The discussion about BMW failures at the last Iron Butt rally has really put the technological progress into perspective. If you need thousands of dollars worth of instrumentation to find and repair electronic glitches, what are you going to do when you take your adventure bike out into the desert or on a trail road through the rockies?

OP
OP
KTD1911

KTD1911

R.I.P. - 2020/10/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
2018 can am spyderf3
I was worried about dealer locations and after doing a national dealer search showed dealers all over. The country every state including Puerto Rico,Alaska. There a four just in my home state of ks closest. Is 10 miles to my home which is actually the closest of any bike dealer to me! I have been reading every article/review I can find about the KTM super adventure. No body has ever mentioned reliability issues . I have read about a recall on the rear suspension.
I have loved my Hondas but am disapointed with lack of upgrades. I have done months of upgrades to my ST to get it the way I was comfortable. . it is a very reliable bike but I don't know If I want to do all the upgrades again . that is why I am looking at the KTM. It has every electrical accessory I had put on the ST and more.
I would like to test drive the super tenere but not one dealer within 150 mile radius of me even has one to try I did find one in IL new for sale. But it is only $2000 less than a fully loaded KTM. Not MSRP but actual purchase price. Even the new FJR 1300 as is not cheaper than the KTM. One negative? Of the KTM is chain Dr. Vs ST shaft Dr.. I still have not made up my mind but I am going to test drive the KTM again tomorrow.
There are lots of bikes out there. So I have a lot of research to do:D

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
I have three riders here from Florida staying at Vinny's Place now... two of them are riding KTM's. One of the KTM's broke down last year when they were here... fortunately he had his ST1300 with him also (trailered both). It is one of the smaller KTM's... between 600 and 700 cc's I believe. I think one is a 990. If I get a chance, I'll ask them about the reliability. If it makes a difference, the first thing one of the KTM riders did was put a rag under the bike because he didn't want to leak oil on my driveway...seriously.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Personally, for a touring bike, I'd have a hard time getting a bike that wasn't shaft drive.

You should spend some time on Adventure Rider and see what you find about the Tenere and 1290.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Tube tires and a chain drive.. I would be okay with the chain but tubes suck if you want it for a touring bike. The best bang for your buck in my opinion is the Super Tenere 2014 or newer as you'll get cruise control or the VStrom 650 but the VStrom doesn't have the electrical capacity of the ST or S10 and no CC but both can be had with spoked tubless tires. I don't know much about the crosstourer but the price point has it as very strong competition to the S10.

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
From KTM's web site "Wire-spoked wheels for tubeless tires featuring airtight rim beds patented by KTM. The rims on the 1290 Super Adventure combine all the benefits of a tubeless tire (easy fitting and dynamic advantages due to no inner tube)". Also check the consumer reports bike reliability reports. KTM wasn't bad. Get the bike you like.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
From KTM's web site "Wire-spoked wheels for tubeless tires featuring airtight rim beds patented by KTM. The rims on the 1290 Super Adventure combine all the benefits of a tubeless tire (easy fitting and dynamic advantages due to no inner tube)". Also check the consumer reports bike reliability reports. KTM wasn't bad. Get the bike you like.
Cool, didn't know that, thanks!

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
If I were going to buy a new adventure bike it would certainly be a new Tenere since I am familiar with the bike. If I was starting fresh I would only consider two: the Tenere and the GS or GS/A. If most of your miles will be on pavement either would be hard to beat and it would come down to available funds. Reliability of both are good enough for me to not worry about anything when travelling. If I were going to do a bunch of off pavement riding the only one I would consider would be the Africa Twin. For that bike I'd have to be doing something like the COIBDR to justify the AT over the Tenere or GS.

I would let you ride my Tenere but it is so much different than a 2014+ model year that it wouldn't tell you anything really. I am more than likely going to be selling or trading my Tenere to downsize since I'm not going to be getting too far from home in the future and don't need a touring mount as much before. If you don't want cc I can give you a heck of a deal on a well equipped 2013 Tenere with 31k miles :D

Good luck with your search,
Mike

OP
OP
KTD1911

KTD1911

R.I.P. - 2020/10/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
2018 can am spyderf3
I did find a dealer who has a tenere that I can test Dr. But he even gave an out the door price of a new 2016 tenere es of 14,600 plus tax I am waiting for a quote from him for adding saddle bags. Is this a fair price

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
I did find a dealer who has a tenere that I can test Dr. But he even gave an out the door price of a new 2016 tenere es of 14,600 plus tax I am waiting for a quote from him for adding saddle bags. Is this a fair price
ES or non-ES? I was given a quote of right at $13.6 OTD for a yellow non-ES version at my local dealer.

It's high for a non-ES version I'd say. Probably close for an ES version.
Mike

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Update of my post this morning... After talking with the guy with the KTM... 625cc LC4 engine. It has 18K showing on the clock and he said the engine has been opened up 3 times in this little mileage. The failure last year was a the main rod bearing... cost him close to $2K to get it fixed. Of course the 1290 would have a different engine... maybe two LC4's stacked together? :D

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Tenere Karl Tenere!!! Go ride one please. I bought my Tiger because I wanted a smaller bike than the Tenere. And it has every option I was looking for. I love everything about it. But I think you would be much happier with the Tenere. A much better touring bike than my Tiger. My Tiger is chain drive and has spoked wheels. 5,000 miles so far with zero problems.
26k valve checks on the Tenere. Dealers everywhere should you ever need one. I doubt that you will though.
I test rode a 2015 ES last year before I bought my Tiger. I loved it! I was just looking for a smaller bike.
I traded in my BMW G650GS for the Tiger after a few trips to the shop for repairs in 6 months and 2,200 miles of owning it. Glad it was under warranty!

OP
OP
KTD1911

KTD1911

R.I.P. - 2020/10/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
2018 can am spyderf3
ES or non-ES? I was given a quote of right at $13.6 OTD for a yellow non-ES version at my local dealer.

It's high for a non-ES version I'd say. Probably close for an ES version.
Mike
yes the price quote was 14,600 out the door plus tax was the es model and another 1064.00 for saddle bags

OP
OP
KTD1911

KTD1911

R.I.P. - 2020/10/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
2018 can am spyderf3
test rode the ktm 1290 again for 3 hrs what a nice ride and the electronics are awesome self canceling turn signals heated seat ,heated grips electronic suspension, drive modes street, sport, offroad, comfort . comes standard with saddle bags 2 year factory warranty, ( 1 year longer than super tenere and actual guickly expanding dealer network already 4 in kansas they just ended my local yamaha dealer franchise) manual adjustable windscreen can be done on the fly. led lean angle corner lights bosch lean angle abs 150hps sport mode and 100 hp in rain mode

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
I haven't ridden the 1290. However the ABS and traction control are state of the art - only a couple other bikes (not the Tenere) for sale have this level of sophistication. I have ridden many other KTM's and own a few. They have that hard to define "personality" and if the 1290 has that for you, that could be a deciding factor. You didn't mention whether the test ride was awesome, okay, or not that good. Two friends have the 1190's and are extremely happy with them.

OP
OP
KTD1911

KTD1911

R.I.P. - 2020/10/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
2018 can am spyderf3
I haven't ridden the 1290. However the ABS and traction control are state of the art - only a couple other bikes (not the Tenere) for sale have this level of sophistication. I have ridden many other KTM's and own a few. They have that hard to define "personality" and if the 1290 has that for you, that could be a deciding factor. You didn't mention whether the test ride was awesome, okay, or not that good. Two friends have the 1190's and are extremely happy with them.
i have never ridden adventure tourers in the past so i dont have anything to compare to but i enjoyed the nimbleness of the ktm and power wow. the wind noise on my helmet much higher than st ( maybe alternate windscreens my alleviate that noise and extra air on shoulders. of course on my st i had larger wind shield, and body, and mirror deflectors. no heat issues on the KTM but there may be a snag on the ktm warranty it states 2 year warranty on engine and frame components but nothing is mentioned about the electronics. if what i read is true that is a definite deal breaker for me i like the bike because of the electronics but not if they are not covered under warranty! i will be in contact with dealer tomorrow to confirm what i found online

Top Bottom