Tupperware removal after wind deflector installation question.

Bike
2006 ST1300
My recent and newest ST1300 purchase started a bunch of projects for my riding pleasures. I ordered and have now received the air deflector kits for both the upper and lower sections. Do these kits have to come off and on again entirely or present a problem when the tupperware has to be removed for maintenance duties on the ST1300? In the future I need to remove the tupperware and do a few things like wiring a radio and GPS. I also have to flush brake fluids etc on this bike. I am considering a wait before instalation if I am going to have to remove the kits again in the next year until I get everything done to the bike I would like to make it mine and more comfortable etc.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
The only wind deflectors that are a PIA to remove when working on the bike are the ones on the upper cowl. They are "taped" to the front upper windshield cover, above the upper cowl and the instrument cowl. You don't have to disturb the "tape" on any of the others.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I ordered and have now received the air deflector kits for both the upper and lower sections. Do these kits have to come off and on again entirely or present a problem when the tupperware has to be removed for maintenance duties on the ST1300?
Absotively not. No problem at all. I put my set on and have taken the tupperware off twice since then - you never touch the wind deflectors at all when removing the fairing - in the sense that they stay attached to the plastic and you don't remove the screws, nothing. I did not even remove the 'portholes' over the oil and coolant tanks when I took the fairing off.

Only fly in the ointment, well flies, are the ones that manage to lodge their bodies right at the join between the plastic and rubber. I'm talking about the big gooey ones. And, of course, now you have to be more careful when waxing not to spread wax on the rubber.

Go ahead and put them on and enjoy them. Btw, do a trial fit on the mirror covers, mark the location w/ masking or blue masking tape, and then put the deflectors on. Once the stickum touches, its pretty well stuck on tight. I never put the last piece up next to the windshield because iirc it covers a screw or some similar issue. If you do need to remove the rubber, use a heat gun and GENTLY heat the deflector and carefully peel it off the plastic. You can get the double faced stickum at any body shop or an auto paint supply store. Its the 3M double faced trim tape and is used to stick on all of a car's trim w/o the use of clips.

OP
OP
milkmaster
Bike
2006 ST1300
Did you do a prefit of sliding the deflector pieces into place before removing the tape covering? I was thinking of sliding the pieces on and then reach inside and pulling away the tape covering as I let it stick in place. I am sure I will see better this weekend how it will go. Sometimes I overthink a project to make sure I get it right. I have found that one of the mirrors has the spring nut damaged. The mirro cover is a little loose on the bottom side not being attachedto the spring nut. I ordered the spring nuts from Directline Parts, but the emai said they are backordered. I was tyring to see just how the mirror cover comes off without breaking it. The Honda dealer said to just grab it and pull it off. I just don't want to break it.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Ha,,, I remember that feeling,,, just a couple of weeks ago when I pulled mine off for the first time. Actually,, I noticed that the lower RH spring nut is bent on my '04 ST13 as well. I will try Honda Canada for a replacement. And yes,, that makes it a bit loose at the bottom. Suggest not lubing these spring nuts,, btw,, as it made mine too easy to remove,,, and you don't want them removing themselves at speed. Okay,,, my method,,, grab the cover with both hands,,, apply a directed pressure that is both forward and outward, and the top rear will likely let go first. If the other two are still partially gripping, just work it a bit till they let go. You can just let the mirrors hang on their safety tethers then. Good Luck with it,,, Cat'

OP
OP
milkmaster
Bike
2006 ST1300
ok thanks guys. That makes me feel a little more confident about it. I understand with the mirror cover now, but that brings me back to another question. Can I go ahead an install the wind deflectors while waiting on the spring nuts to come in? Will I have to take them back off to take the cover off?

Bike
2010 ST1300
ok thanks guys. That makes me feel a little more confident about it. I understand with the mirror cover now, but that brings me back to another question. Can I go ahead an install the wind deflectors while waiting on the spring nuts to come in? Will I have to take them back off to take the cover off?
Nope. read my post above. Other ways to remove the mirror cover - whack your car with it, drop the bike on uneven ground, a good front kick will do it, maybe a garage wall or the door jamb?

Slightly more seriously, you can put the deflector on the way you suggested, tho i tried it and found getting the little bits of covering plastic off the tape a real pita once half of it was stuck in place. It was easier for me to peel all the stickum bare and use masking tape markers to position it, starting at one end. YMMV, but whatever method you choose, it will work out fine.

Someone else had trouble getting the little door to stay on the bike and lost his. I forget what the thread was, but I've had no problems at all with those little pieces staying put on my bike. Of course, I tend to keep the speed in curves under three digits.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just give it a firm, but not hard "whack" at the back going forward, they will pop right off, just be ready to catch them.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Just give it a firm, but not hard "whack" at the back going forward, they will pop right off, just be ready to catch them.
Mirror covers have zip tie that was inserted through a hole in the bikes frame (subframe?) with the pointed end screwed w/ a tiny screw* to the inside of the mirror cover. The locking end of the tie does not slide out through the hole because it is too large, and the cover is now secured to the bike so that when it pops off at speed, it will hang there flapping in the breeze. Yes it is a good idea to hang on to the cover when you are removing it, but all is not lost if it gets away from you. As a backup, you have the running light and indicator wires to help support the cover (though it is a bad idea to support things via functioning wires).

Putting the covers back on is just fussing with the rubber seal that fits around the inboard, aft end of the cover. There are two tabs that fit into the cover, and they talk to each other, conspiring to not both slide in at the same time. A smart thump with the heel of your hand in the middle of the cover inward will seat the spring nuts.

*This screw likes the darkest crannies in your garage floor, usually under the work bench with the low shelf piled with hundreds of pounds of old bike parts and dirty boxes. Remember this when you take it out.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Mirror covers have zip tie that was inserted through a hole in the bikes frame (subframe?) with the pointed end screwed w/ a tiny screw* to the inside of the mirror cover.
Yeah don't count on this. My first ST didn't have zip-ties at all and my second had them in the glove box. There are a few others here that have said their bikes didn't have them either.

It doesn't hurt to keep a hand on the cover because even though it may be tied you don't want to scratch up the paint with the cover bouncing around. Although it'll buff right out. :lol:

Bike
2010 ST1300
Hmmmmm, I thought scratches on a bike, like the wrinkles on us older guys which connote wisdom acquired with ageing indicate something positive - but I'm still trying to figure out just what that is.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Mirror covers have zip tie that was inserted through a hole in the bikes frame (subframe?) with the pointed end screwed w/ a tiny screw* to the inside of the mirror cover. The locking end of the tie does not slide out through the hole because it is too large, and the cover is now secured to the bike so that when it pops off at speed, it will hang there flapping in the breeze. Yes it is a good idea to hang on to the cover when you are removing it, but all is not lost if it gets away from you. As a backup, you have the running light and indicator wires to help support the cover (though it is a bad idea to support things via functioning wires).
Yeah don't count on this. My first ST didn't have zip-ties at all and my second had them in the glove box. There are a few others here that have said their bikes didn't have them either.

It doesn't hurt to keep a hand on the cover because even though it may be tied you don't want to scratch up the paint with the cover bouncing around. Although it'll buff right out. :lol:
That's why I zip tie the zip tie! I'll take a smaller zip tie, feed it through the big zip tie and then secure it to the fairing where the wires come out. Then I don't have to worry about them if they are knocked off for one reason or another. :) Which has happened! :eek::

OP
OP
milkmaster
Bike
2006 ST1300
I think I wil take it off in the grass of my back yard just in case it wants to go flying. At least I won't scratch it up on the concrete in my garage that way. Thanks all for the information.

Top Bottom