Digital VoltMeter

STOC #
Some of us move the headlight adjuster knob to the left pocket and mount a voltmeter in the place where the knob was. I just wired it to the lights in the dash. I know what a normal reading on my bike wired this way is 13.1 or 13.2 volts.
liteknob.jpg
voltmeter.jpg

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Here's mine, a Amazon water proof special at about $9.00. It's hooked to the 9 pin accessory harness switched power. At idle it reads about 13.2 volts at speed it reads about 14.2 give or take .02 volts for other accessories. I tested it against my Radio Shack (quality) multi meter and it was only .1 volts off at battery and plug.

Voltmeter.jpg

JQL

Growing old disgracefully :)
Bike
NT700VA
I Have the Bright Spark Eclipse LED voltage monitor. Auto-Dimming; Waterproof and tiny (it makes the Signal Dynamics one look humongous!). I've fitted it inside the instrument panel (yes it's that small). Highly recommended.

• dims automatically in response to ambient light
  • fully waterproof & shockproof (IP rating pending)
  • available in three LED sizes; 10mm, 8mm, and 5mm
  • indicates your battery?s charge condition and confirms alternator operation (if applicable)
  • available in 6v, 12v, or 24v versions (or other voltage from 3v min. to 32v max.)
  • extremely accurate (12v unit is +/-0.03v)
  • 600mm long flexible flying leads (longer leads available on request)
  • reverse polarity and overload protected
  • simple two wire connection to positive & negative
  • very low power consumption(8ma in bright light, 1ma in darkness)
  • suitable for direct connection to battery (simply cover to reduce drain when garaged)

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
I Have the Bright Spark Eclipse LED voltage monitor. Auto-Dimming; Waterproof and tiny (it makes the Signal Dynamics one look humongous!). I've fitted it inside the instrument panel (yes it's that small). Highly recommended.
Which size did you go with? I note the smallest 5mm unit does not have the printed circuit board shrouded by the bezel, which might make it less waterproof?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I'd imagine it's not difficult for the manufacturer to waterproof the 5mm version to the same level or greater than the others. The PCB is pretty small given it fits the 8mm but not the 5mm bezels.

It would take me a bit to get used to the Green is good when the engine's On Green not so good with ignition Off and Amber is bad when the engine's On Amber is good when the ignition's off.

Green is good with engine On and ignition Off would be preferable but that's probably not an option. If the amber LED blinked when the ignition was Off it might look like an alarm indicator to a potential crook. Roughly $28 for the 5mm version shipped. Not bad.

I'd really like a 3-digit display but haven't seen one small enough and bright enough for my liking.

Bike
2006 ST1300
My new CubCadet mower has a panel mount hour meter that is only about 1 x 1.5 inches. It has a mode that shows the voltage. That might be a cheap option.

JQL

Bike
NT700VA
Which size did you go with? I note the smallest 5mm unit does not have the printed circuit board shrouded by the bezel, which might make it less waterproof?
Erm, can't remember the size. I think it's the 8mm. It's got the circuit board integrated into the unit. It really is very small.

JQL

Bike
NT700VA
I'd imagine it's not difficult for the manufacturer to waterproof the 5mm version to the same level or greater than the others. The PCB is pretty small given it fits the 8mm but not the 5mm bezels.

It would take me a bit to get used to the Green is good when the engine's On Green not so good with ignition Off and Amber is bad when the engine's On Amber is good when the ignition's off.

Green is good with engine On and ignition Off would be preferable but that's probably not an option. If the amber LED blinked when the ignition was Off it might look like an alarm indicator to a potential crook. Roughly $28 for the 5mm version shipped. Not bad.

I'd really like a 3-digit display but haven't seen one small enough and bright enough for my liking.
If it's not Green with the engine running there's a problem. That's all you really need to worry about.

Top Bottom