It's always a good idea to double check the torque on the brake bolts after removal..

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Re: It's always a good idea to double check the torque on the brake bolts after remov

As far as the 1100 goes, the service manual says nothing about thread locking the caliper bolts, nor replacing them. A simple torque spec is all that is mentioned.
Maybe Honda got some feedback about that bolt loosening after being removed and reused on the ST1100 and that's why they want the bolt replaced on the ST1300.

But I would just clean the old locktite off the threads and use blue locktite on it and re-use. I wonder if the ST1300 manual says to replace the rear shock mounting bolts too ??

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Re: It's always a good idea to double check the torque on the brake bolts after remov

Maybe Honda got some feedback about that bolt loosening after being removed and reused on the ST1100 and that's why they want the bolt replaced on the ST1300.
I've never had a caliper bolt loosen on any bike (or car) I've ever owned, and never used locktite on any of them. Anybody ever heard about that being a problem on the 1100?

Maybe they got feedback from the dealers that they weren't making enough profit on brake pad replacements :D

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #

I've never had a caliper bolt loosen on any bike (or car) I've ever owned, and never used locktite on any of them. Anybody ever heard about that being a problem on the 1100?
+1. I've rebuilt dozens of disc brakes on cars/trucks and a few on bikes. I've never see a loose caliper bolt or had one come loose.

Byron

STOC #

I think what Bob was trying to relate is that when working on things, his bike in this case, we have to be extra careful of distractions. I'm sure that if the bolt was torqued, with or without locking agent, it would not have come loose or fallen out. The distraction was just enough to cause a problem. This is why I suggested double checking all the bolts once the work was complete.

Who among you haven't walked into another room and forgot what you went in there for? I rest my case. :)

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #

I think what Bob was trying to relate is that when working on things, his bike in this case, we have to be extra careful of distractions. I'm sure that if the bolt was torqued, with or without locking agent, it would not have come loose or fallen out. The distraction was just enough to cause a problem. This is why I suggested double checking all the bolts once the work was complete.

Who among you haven't walked into another room and forgot what you went in there for? I rest my case. :)
+1. Now, what's this thread about? ;)

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #

+1. Now, what's this thread about? ;)
Me, having a great ride in the Old Gold Country over the weekend, after Byron and I put on some new PR4GTs in-spite of the fact I was distracted and forgot to torque down the two front right brake mounting bolts! :D

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #

I've seen caliper bolts come loose on my mountain bike and on a dirt bike before. And I saw Eddie Lawson's front brake fall off while braking for turn 2 in Laguna Seca and watched him slide into the wall. I think of that crash every time I'm tightening my caliper bolts. With loctite and a torque wrench.

Top Bottom