K&N

fwiw, i just installed a new k&n air filter, plus new plugs in my 1100, and the filter really increased seat of the pants feel to the bike in the mid to upper rpm range.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
fwiw, i just installed a new k&n air filter, plus new plugs in my 1100, and the filter really increased seat of the pants feel to the bike in the mid to upper rpm range.
New guy looking to start something here? :mad: :D

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
somebody needs to warn him that using a K&N voids the warranty. And to really get the discussion moving, he needs to tell us what kind of oil he used, that makes a BIG difference!!

Last edited:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Don't listen to them, I've used K&N Air Filters for years. And unlike most here, I was able to put them in without having dirt get passed them!

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Don't listen to them, I've used K&N Air Filters for years. And unlike most here, I was able to put them in without having dirt get passed them!
how did you manage that when you can't even tighten your caliper bolts? Probably left the air filter cover off and haven't noticed it yet.

Bike
1996 Honda ST1100
I wana break in my pot stirrin' stick here...
I've been riding & fixing Hondas since 1974.
Honda designs do NOT need to be changed or improved in any way.
Also, it's against my religion to use aftermarket parts on Honda motor vehicles.
I use 100% OEM parts. I want my Honda's to be 100% pure! :)

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Also, it's against my religion to use aftermarket parts on Honda motor vehicles.
Similar here. All OEM parts EXCEPT filters and fluids...although I never cared for the oily air filters. Just personal preference/opinion, nothing more. I DID install an aftermarket top box right after I bought my 1991...couldn't locate a suitable Honda box at the time. It's just not convenient to secure a helmet anywhere on this bike. Top box makes that easy.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
I use Volar Kevlar replacement brake pads. Just as good or better than OEM and only $16 for a complete set - front & rear ( with shipping ). And I have a set of Raider clutch friction plates that I got off EBay ( cheap ) that I plan to install next spring. Does that make me a heathan ?? But I confess that I will be installing OEM Honda clutch springs.

Last edited:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
how did you manage that when you can't even tighten your caliper bolts? Probably left the air filter cover off and haven't noticed it yet.
Oh, so mean! In 270,000 miles I leave two bolts loose, due to a MAJOR distraction and I have to live with that for the rest of my life? Sheesh, no slack at all! :(

On the brighter side, I'm off for a ride for the weekend! See you on the otherside of 1,200 miles at least! Hahahahaha! :D

If that was true, there would be no need for ANY FARKLEs! Sorry, Honda might make a great product, but there is always room for improvement!

And if you are not using the stock Honda Saddles, then you just blew a hole in your own theory!

Last edited:
Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Oh, so mean! In 270,000 miles I leave two bolts loose, due to a MAJOR distraction and I have to live with that for the rest of my life? Sheesh, no slack at all! :(
Its a K&N thread, thought I'd try to stir up some trouble.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Probably no real performance increase. Many of us have run the K&N filter on our ST1100s for many years, instead of the Honda stock filter ($$$), but only to save money. In any case, unless you have certified dyno readings, "it didn't happen." :)

Care to share at leaST a firST name with us? And where in Iowa do you live?

Regards, John

Bike
1997 ST1100
I replaced the stock oiled foam cleaners on my 82 VF750S years ago with K&N units. Had no choice. The stock filters disintegrated after only 22 years of service. Local dealership had the K&Ns sitting in a bargain box so I picked them up cheap. They were odd little trapezoidal shaped things. One for the left side, one for the right. They worked great for remaining time we had together. Didn't think there was any great increase in performance though. Sometime if you look hard enough, you do find the improvement. I repaired the side cover on the Sabre and thought is was riding better.

Bike
1996 Honda ST1100

On the brighter side, I'm off for a ride for the weekend! See you on the otherside of 1,200 miles at least! Hahahahaha! :D

If that was true, there would be no need for ANY FARKLEs! Sorry, Honda might make a great product, but there is always room for improvement!

And if you are not using the stock Honda Saddles, then you just blew a hole in your own theory!
I think that "FARKLES" are an unnecessary distraction that dilutes Honda quality (which is OUTSTANDING).
I've been called a "purist." I think it's just a matter of personal preference. :)

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I think that "FARKLES" are an unnecessary distraction that dilutes Honda quality (which is OUTSTANDING).
I've been called a "purist." I think it's just a matter of personal preference. :)
The only two bikes I've owned in 36 years of riding that had headshake were both Hondas. The total number of Hondas I've owned that didn't have headshake is zero. After I diluted the Honda quality with different steering stem bearings on my ST1100, the headshake went away.

We could also talk about the legendary Comstar stamped tinfoil wheels that would bend out of true just by the gravitational force of the moon, but we'll leave that for another thread.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
P.O. installed the K&N on my '93. Last year, I put a Honda Civic style paper filter in (cross-over info from ST-Riders.net), with a foam ring to make up the slight height difference, and ended up with her falling on her face in the mid-range. Didn't take long to clean the K&N and get it back in there!

I have no problems with using aftermarket parts. EBC pads and rotors (yep, after 168,000 miles, the original ones were worn out), BSS brake lines, Hella head light bulbs, several different brands of oil filters, fork seals, O-rings, and "Dark Side" on the rear. Honda is not the only company that makes quality parts!

I used to work for a Honda tier 1 auto supplier, and know how maticulous they are. But when I priced a wheel lug which we paid about $0.28 for and Ma Honda retailed for $6.50, well I know they are making BIG MONEY on their parts.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Check out the OEM Yamaha part prices if you think the Honda OEM parts are expensive. I did for the FJR1300 when I was comparing a ST1300 to the FJR. I probably shouldn't point this out, Mother Honda may raise her prices.

Bike
1996 Honda ST1100
P.O. installed the K&N on my '93. Last year, I put a Honda Civic style paper filter in (cross-over info from ST-Riders.net), with a foam ring to make up the slight height difference, and ended up with her falling on her face in the mid-range. Didn't take long to clean the K&N and get it back in there!

I have no problems with using aftermarket parts. EBC pads and rotors (yep, after 168,000 miles, the original ones were worn out), BSS brake lines, Hella head light bulbs, several different brands of oil filters, fork seals, O-rings, and "Dark Side" on the rear. Honda is not the only company that makes quality parts!

I used to work for a Honda tier 1 auto supplier, and know how maticulous they are. But when I priced a wheel lug which we paid about $0.28 for and Ma Honda retailed for $6.50, well I know they are making BIG MONEY on their parts.
I've been doing motorcycle repairs since 1974. Many years ago, I worked as a motorcycle mechanic at a Yamaha / BMW dealer. I've used both OEM and aftermarket parts on Hondas over the past several decades. Today I use only OEM parts on Honda motorcycles. I've had much better results with OEM parts vs. aftermarket parts. I no longer question Mother Honda. To use anything but OEM parts on a Honda vehicle you are saying that you know better than Honda. Or, a stupid company like K&N knows better than Honda.

Top Bottom