ST 1300 Ignition Switch Key Mechanism failure?

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Hello All:

The locking mechanism within the ignition switch on my 2012 ST 1300 appears to have failed, but I am not sure if what I think is a 'failure' is actually part of the intended design.

It is possible to operate the switch through the full range of motion (from accessory to lock and back) by putting any key from any vehicle about 1/4 of an inch into the switch and then turning it. But, even though the key cylinder will rotate, this has no effect on the electrical portion of the switch - in other words, power is not applied to the motorcycle.

Is this a common characteristic of all ST 1300s, or some kind of unique partial failure of the switch on my motorcycle?

Michael

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
That's the first time I've heard of a failure like that.

When you turn the switch with a key part of the way in, does it have "notches" at all of the positions or does it rotate smoothly? Does the ignition switch work when you put the key all the way in? Did this happen after the bike had been left someplace where others may have had access to it?

--Mark

OP
OP
CYYJ

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
When you turn the switch with a key part of the way in, does it have "notches" at all of the positions or does it rotate smoothly?
Yes, I can feel a detent at several, but not all of the positions. It is a softer detent than the normal (key all the way in) one.

Does the ignition switch work when you put the key all the way in?
Yes, it works perfectly in every respect with the key all the way in.

Did this happen after the bike had been left someplace where others may have had access to it?
I just noticed it this week. I rarely leave the bike where undesirables would have access to it - it is either in my garage at home, or in a garage at a good hotel, or at the private home of someone else.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Sounds to me like the chrome trim piece at the top of the switch is no longer connected to the cylinder. Could just be that whatever keeps the two parts moving together broke. Mine has a bit of rotational play in it and the key slips in best when everything's lined up.

I'd say that if it isn't causing any problems, don't worry about it.

--Mark

Top Bottom