Bike
05 ST1300A
STOC #

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Just from looking at the clevis I'd guess that's a third-party shock. Just a guess though.

OP
OP
rdmsttrav
Bike
05 ST1300A
STOC #
Thanks ST Gui

I just got a return update from the seller he says the only thing he could further find out was that it's
"The only other thing I could find was mcs-a2. Branded Showa on the shock."

They don't know the mileage. Mine has 70,000 on it.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I'd hold off until someone who actually knows what they're talking about can advise you. God know I've been wrong before.

Unknown mileage and not much else known about the shock except for the mention of the spring: Unless I were on a really tight budget I'd probably look elsewhere. I'd think for not too much more you could get a new shock or at least one with known provenance.

This or any shock is a big investment and you should have more info before investing. I don't see the spring rate. Does Racetech have a selection of rates? This deal doesn't give me the warm fuzzies.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
Race Tech can rebuild your OEM shock for a little more than this Ebay seller is asking. You'll get a shock set up for your riding style, and a spring appropriate for your weight.
Here's their contact info:
http://www.racetech.com/page/id/18
I had my OEM shock upgraded at about 50K, and rebuilt at 110K. I'm very happy with the results. They can also install gold valves (and preload adjusters, I believe, if you want them) in your forks.

I have a free loaner shock available if you want to keep your bike on the road during the upgrade. PM me for details if you're interested.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
MCS is the 1300's model code and the original part is a Showa, so the housing is at least stock. The original spring was black (doesn't mean a great deal), and you'd really have no way to know if the innards are the same or not.

--Mark

OP
OP
rdmsttrav
Bike
05 ST1300A
STOC #
Thanks once again.
I called race tech and their price with the forum discount for a rebuild using my shock is very close to what this eBay add is asking. No brainer from that perspective. It's only a 3 week build time or a small ride in fee...I think I'm going to ride in if I decide to go this way.

Thanks ST Gui- yeah no warm fuzzies after that comparison on price for sure.

Thanks Riginoz - I called and glad I did. If I don't ride in I'll definitely pm you.

Thanks Birfl-you're right no way to know.

John

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
This appears to be a stock shock with a Racetech spring added to it. If there is a small screw with a rubber seal in the body of the shock, then it was rebuilt by Racetech. Can't really tell from the pics.

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Recommend you get a rebuild from RaceTech with a spring set to your specs and gold valves. I had mine done a little over two years ago during the winter months and it really improved the STs ride. Before the upgrade the rear end was feeling like it wanted to kick out from under me in sweepers at speed causing me to slow down. Since the upgrade the bike has been very stable in sweepers.

I had the spring set to my weight and add compression when loaded. The handling is excellent with just me and very good loaded for travel. If you travel two up a lot get a spring set for the added weight, although it'll be stiff with just you; safety for the passenger. A spring can't account for all conditions and you'll have to make a compromise.

Top Bottom